The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Yea

I noticed the boxscore for the game tonight said that he wore an "A". I'm not sure if that is correct or a typo. If so that is very interesting.

Yeah on the AHL app they had him listed as a A during the game too. Pretty good to see that coach green looks of him that highly.

I think its the injury with Shinkurak. I feel, the hip injury has put him a year behind his development. I want to show you guys something check out his goals before his injury.

--> might sound dumb, but notice his explosiveness in his skating. Can anyone confirm for me, that he shows this same explosiveness down at Utica? I think, the injury has set him back one year and I just hope this management doesn't give up on him yet.

I think its the injury with Shinkurak. I feel, the hip injury has put him a year behind his development. I want to show you guys something check out his goals before his injury.

--> might sound dumb, but notice his explosiveness in his skating. Can anyone confirm for me, that he shows this same explosiveness down at Utica? I think, the injury has set him back one year. I just hope, this management doesn't give up on him yet.

He was already playing with the hip problem when he scored this goal though..

He was already playing with the hip problem when he scored this goal though..

No, he injured it when Canucks sent him back to the Hat.

He was originally hurt in an Oct. 23 game against the Portland Winterhawks.

source:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Hunter+Shinkaruk+season+over+doesn+regret+playing+through+pain+world+juniors/9328030/story.html

"[shinkaruk] was limited to 18 games and was in pain for a lot of them. The injury, in actuality, had been a bother for the past two seasons, but a bad fall during an Oct. 23 game against Portland made it worse. Warm ups were impossible. Running was out of the question"

Source: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Shinkaruk+following+Medicine+Tigers+continues+rehab+following+January+surgery/9683658/story.html

--> might sound dumb, but notice his explosiveness in his skating. Can anyone confirm for me, that he shows this same explosiveness down at Utica? I think, the injury has set him back one year and I just hope this management doesn't give up on him yet.

You are correct....in a way.

His hip will be fine. The issue is that he spent much of his summer rehabbing his hip, not conditioning himself to play in a league full of men.

I do think it's a bit of a blessing in disguise though. Knowing how to win battles at a high level against guys who are larger and stronger before being conditioned means he will only get better next year. The major concern with being a "year behind" in terms of development is what it does to a kid's confidence. Hunter seems to have not been shaken too much by the events and he's adapted extremely well despite circumstances. He's going to see a big jump in ability with a proper summer to prepare.

Has anyone been watching Utica live? Shinkaruk and Jensen keep getting passed over by guys like Kenins. Are they Elite at the AHL level?

kenins was brought up to fill a specific role that jensen and shinkaruk arent cut out for.

If miller goes down would you call up pedan? No. If a bottom 6 goes down you call up a player who can fill a bottom six role.

kenins was brought up to fill a specific role that jensen and shinkaruk arent cut out for.

If miller goes down would you call up pedan? No. If a bottom 6 goes down you call up a player who can fill a bottom six role.

"[shinkaruk] was limited to 18 games and was in pain for a lot of them. The injury, in actuality, had been a bother for the past two seasons, but a bad fall during an Oct. 23 game against Portland made it worse. Warm ups were impossible. Running was out of the question"

Source: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Shinkaruk+following+Medicine+Tigers+continues+rehab+following+January+surgery/9683658/story.html

I stand corrected . Thanks for that.

Then I have a question, why don't we bump a current third liner down and insert said prospect there? Getting a look at the Kenins guy is great but wouldn't we rather get our prospects as much NHL experience possible? Not really questioning what you're saying, just curious.

Kenins was a good sign and has played way more pro games then most of our fwd prospects at the same age. Shinky will get his time, but not until he's bringing it every shift every night. You need that compete level and strength to play third and fourth line roles in the NHL

Then I have a question, why don't we bump a current third liner down and insert said prospect there? Getting a look at the Kenins guy is great but wouldn't we rather get our prospects as much NHL experience possible? Not really questioning what you're saying, just curious.

FTR, Kenins IS one of our prospects too ;)

And as Derp pointed out, none of our "top 6" forecasted prospects have shown a level of dominance at the AHL level yet to warrant tossing them in to an NHL top 6 role that they're clearly not quite ready for. Yet.

Patience.

i, for one, loved the kenins callup. looks to have some chemistry with horvat already. really liked what their line brought so far, hope to see more of it.

Yeah, I've been excited to see him get a chance since we saw him at the Olympics. Really like his makeup...pretty much a prototypical bottom 6 guy. Fast, gritty, physical and has decent enough hands that he should project to be a solid 3rd line guy in his prime.

Imagine him AND Dorsett on that line. Horvat centering two pitbulls :towel:

I think a lot of people loved the Kenins call up.

Definitely the right one over Shink/Gaunce as they need more seasoning. They probably won't see any time with the Canucks until next season as a call up.

That may work for some.

My own opinion is that the NHL is a big jump over the AHL.

Some prospects will be pretty much ready and their style fits with the players on a 2nd or 3rd line. Some who are less ready can be called up and sheltered a little on the 4th line while still playing against NHL players.

Most of the Canucks better forward prospects aren't very experienced pros and they could stand the smaller step to the 4th line (or 3B or 2C or 3C line for those that prefer.)

I really like call ups like the kenins one and the Defazio one. These guys are already 23 and 26 and Benning gave them there first NHL starts. Now that may look pointless as they dont have a ceiling higher than 3rd or 4th line grinders but I think these moves really impact the message that Linden and Co. are trying to get across. That hard work does payoff no matter what your potential is or how old you are. Looks really good for any other Free agents that are out there too, Knowing they could work there way onto the squad. Have to try and keep all your employees happy right !

Archived