The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

The only negative of him being cut is not getting the chance to watch him...... thats it. Being cut from the team doesn't mean he's a bust like a lot of overdramtic highschool posters automatically claim. He was slowed by injury this year, and was simply outplayed.

Ask Don Cherry what he think about the junior team and how it is run. They play favourites way too much and the best overall team is never iced. Max Domi, Darnell Nurse, and Bo Horvat not even invited to camp...... seriously!?! Tyler Seguin, Matt Duchene, Logan Couture, Eric Staal didnt make team Canada either so nothing to worry about.

I'm glad you point this out. Many stars don't get a sniff, and many on this junior team may never see the NHL.

I don't think Hunter getting cut is a bad thing. I personally think it might be positive for him, though I'm sure he is disappointed right now.

If he is hurt, some rest may be the best thing for him. I am not privy to the seriousness of his injury, maybe he could play through it, but I cringe at the thought of him potentially ruining the rest of his season by fighting through a short tournament. He'll be eligible for pro next year, he needs all the games he can get and to hopefully be healthy going in to the summer so he can train properly, otherwise we won't see as good of a player in next year's camp as we did this year.

It is also a huge positive that he was almost able to keep up with the best players of his age while battling an injury. Its a good sign of his skill level, and it is good experience to have to go through something like that. Everyone already knew he was good enough to make the team, I'm sure he did as well, all of a sudden he has adversity to deal with and has to battle harder than everyone else, never a bad thing to learn to do.

I also think that getting cut specifically because of injury will be good for his head. It won't damage his confidence, but it will teach him that no matter how skilled you are there are always challenges, so you better be giving 100% and never get a big head because you have skills. With how prolific a scorer he was the last two years in junior, he could easily have started to develop an ego, we don't want him to become one of those guys who refuses to back check. Not saying he has a bad attitude, but he was in a situation where it would be easy to develop one. His recent cutting from the WJC team should serve to build his character, and that is never a bad thing.

I don't think Hunter getting cut is a bad thing. I personally think it might be positive for him, though I'm sure he is disappointed right now.

If he is hurt, some rest may be the best thing for him. I am not privy to the seriousness of his injury, maybe he could play through it, but I cringe at the thought of him potentially ruining the rest of his season by fighting through a short tournament. He'll be eligible for pro next year, he needs all the games he can get and to hopefully be healthy going in to the summer so he can train properly, otherwise we won't see as good of a player in next year's camp as we did this year.

It is also a huge positive that he was almost able to keep up with the best players of his age while battling an injury. Its a good sign of his skill level, and it is good experience to have to go through something like that. Everyone already knew he was good enough to make the team, I'm sure he did as well, all of a sudden he has adversity to deal with and has to battle harder than everyone else, never a bad thing to learn to do.

I also think that getting cut specifically because of injury will be good for his head. It won't damage his confidence, but it will teach him that no matter how skilled you are there are always challenges, so you better be giving 100% and never get a big head because you have skills. With how prolific a scorer he was the last two years in junior, he could easily have started to develop an ego, we don't want him to become one of those guys who refuses to back check. Not saying he has a bad attitude, but he was in a situation where it would be easy to develop one. His recent cutting from the WJC team should serve to build his character, and that is never a bad thing.

Agree. He's only going to get better from this. Sucks to get cut, but from an organizational standpoint, I'd rather have him get 100% healthy, instead of playing through injuries and possibly doing more damage. Hopefully we see him healthy and playing in Utica after his WHL season is over :)

Well, that settles it. Between your "dangler696969" username, and laughing at the thought of one of our prospects being sad about not making his national team, you're nothing but a trolling 12 year old.

I love Hunter Shinkaruk. I'm not hating on him at all. But it was obvious that he wasn't going to make the team unless he scored a goal in that Finland game. Yeah so I'm laughing about it big whoop. Have a sense of humor buds.

I think he's 10 :)

And you're a towel.

He also replied to a post directed at Go Go Canucks Go as dangler6969

I guess he forgot which account he was using

I was defending "Go Go Canucks Go" from Pear because Pears called him a troll for saying something not all that controversial. I forgot what it was about but I am most definitely not him.

I love Hunter Shinkaruk. I'm not hating on him at all. But it was obvious that he wasn't going to make the team unless he scored a goal in that Finland game. Yeah so I'm laughing about it big whoop. Have a sense of humor buds.

And you're a towel.

I was defending "Go Go Canucks Go" from Pear because Pears called him a troll for saying something not all that controversial. I forgot what it was about but I am most definitely not him.

Was there a highlight package of all of that we could watch?

How am I trolling? I'm probably the least biase person here? I calling a spade a spade unlike you guys throwing in excuses or insulting hockey Canada.

I said shinkaruk was not going to make the team or deserved an invite because of his terrible at and dissappointing season. How is that wrong? In fact I was proven right just like I was with Gaunce.

All you guys are haunt because I actually evuate our propsects objectively. I don't let my love for the Canucks jade my view on players.

Horvat was a stud yesterday too like I've been saying all along.

Grow up guys

How am I trolling? I'm probably the least biase person here? I calling a spade a spade unlike you guys throwing in excuses or insulting hockey Canada.

I said shinkaruk was not going to make the team or deserved an invite because of his terrible at and dissappointing season. How is that wrong? In fact I was proven right just like I was with Gaunce.

All you guys are haunt because I actually evuate our propsects objectively. I don't let my love for the Canucks jade my view on players.

Grow up guys

Oh the irony.

The only negative of him being cut is not getting the chance to watch him...... thats it. Being cut from the team doesn't mean he's a bust like a lot of overdramtic highschool posters automatically claim. He was slowed by injury this year, and was simply outplayed.

Ask Don Cherry what he think about the junior team and how it is run. They play favourites way too much and the best overall team is never iced. Max Domi, Darnell Nurse, and Bo Horvat not even invited to camp...... seriously!?! Tyler Seguin, Matt Duchene, Logan Couture, Eric Staal didnt make team Canada either so nothing to worry about.

? Horvat is on the team.

Grow up guys

I didn't really read any of the messages you wrote in this thread, so I can't comment on anything else that's been posted so I can only remark on this.

An unbiased evaluation of prospects includes taking injuries and such into account that may be effecting their play but the way you sound make it seem when other posters mention he didn't play up to par because of injuries, that they are making an excuse. You also need to take into account other players on any given team to see what situations are they given.

I don't agree with you that his play didn't warrant a camp invite but there have been reports from various reporters that the Subway Series played a big part in several players invite to selection camp, this includes Gauthier, Shinkaruk and Mantha, who's strong play got them the invite and while Morin, Nurse and Domi apparently had bad series, hence why no invites for these highly touted players. Hunter had just played, I believe, 1 game after sitting with injuries before playing in the Series and he played well with Petan and was viewed as a safety incase Drouin wasn't ready for the tournament and then moving McDavid over to the wing, killed any chance he had of making the team. I'm not sure where or if he reinjured himself again after the series or he was never 100% to begin but, this is my assumption, that if he was able to make a difference while injured in the series, Sutter felt if he could get healthy he could make an impact for team Canada.

I do agree with you that based on his play, he didn't deserve to be on team Canada and was rightfully cut. Mantha out played him in the last 2 periods of play vs Finland. At the core of their game, Mantha and Shinkaruk are both speedy goal scorers. Mantha showcased his speed and goal scoring. (had 2 breakaway (scored on one), set up Ekblads goal).

Shinkaruk had a tough year, I don't recall any other season where he's been injured. It's way too early to say he's regressed or that he's a bust. I'm a big fan of Shinkaruk but I'm not blind to how he's play and the results this far this season.

Hockey players go through so many up and down in a season, you can't get high on all their up and low on all their downs. Have to review them on a season by season basis and then break it down from their. For all we know, he could come into the new year and absolutely rip up the league and go on a 2 ppg basis and suddenly everyone will be talking about how amazing he will be next season without any AHL seasoning.

I would like to know how serious Shinkaruk's injuries are. From what the Canucks said today it is clear that the injuries are still bothering him. Is surgery a possibility?

Shinkaruk was great in the Canuck pre-season, but he has had a very disappointing year in Junior since aggravating his hip injury. No way he deserved to be on the team. I think it was good of Sutter to take him to Europe so he got at least a taste of the world junior experience. And he did play on Friday.

As for Horvat, by all accounts he is looking great. He looks like the real deal: excellent in the face-off circle, an excellent defensive forward, excellent offensive skills, and with the strength and toughness to dominate the game at the junior level and to be able to play an effective physical game in the NHL. And a guy with great character.

The London Knights defensive game has declined sharply with him at the World Juniors. No one in the OHL is as valuable to his team as Horvat.

I would like to know how serious Shinkaruk's injuries are. From what the Canucks said today it is clear that the injuries are still bothering him. Is surgery a possibility?

Sounds like he's still playing through a hip injury which is not good. It seems like it's bad enough to hinder his game, but not bad enough to keep him out of the lineup. Surgery for a young player like him is always the last option. Hopefully it heals on it's own.

For a player that relies alot on being shifty and pivoting his feet, a hip injury is one of the worst kinds to try and play through for him.

Grow up guys

I am concerned that the bad attitude is why he fell to 24th. He needs to get a grip on himself. Hopefully he can get over his injury and try to be positive.

Archived