The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Casual board member here.. I was well aware of the fact Shinkaruk would be eligible for the AHL next season. Has been discussed since draft floor coverage

It's a great option for him too. The CHL-NHL agreement keeps money in the CHL's pocket but hinders the development of many 19 year olds who are too good for the league (See: Grigorenko)

your 100% right about the chl nhl agreement hindering development. ive been thinking that a lot lately. I think they should grandfather in a rule that allows 12-12nd of your prospects drafted from the chl to play in the ahl if you choose to let them. may players (like boho) are too experienced for the chl but dont have the stuff for the bigs yet.

your 100% right about the chl nhl agreement hindering development. ive been thinking that a lot lately. I think they should grandfather in a rule that allows 12-12nd of your prospects drafted from the chl to play in the ahl if you choose to let them. may players (like boho) are too experienced for the chl but dont have the stuff for the bigs yet.

Ok I know you like BoHo (I do a lot too) but to say he's too strong for the OHL is a stretch. He has good stats but he's not breaking any record. Even John Tavares who was tearing up the OHL couldn't even win a championship with London in his last year.

Also most the exceptional player at 19 years old will play for the WHJC which is really good experience, therefore it's really good experience.

You don't want to bring 18/19 years old and play against men that will do anything (physical play, fights,) to get to the NHL and it could get dangerous for some kids.

Ok I know you like BoHo (I do a lot too) but to say he's too strong for the OHL is a stretch. He has good stats but he's not breaking any record. Even John Tavares who was tearing up the OHL couldn't even win a championship with London in his last year.

Also most the exceptional player at 19 years old will play for the WHJC which is really good experience, therefore it's really good experience.

You don't want to bring 18/19 years old and play against men that will do anything (physical play, fights,) to get to the NHL and it could get dangerous for some kids.

maybe bo was a biased example but dont you agree to some point? it actually shows in the world junior's with many other players playing against men for a full season or two the play a Canadian team that is used to playing boys... and we cant even medal now. its just a thought I have. I could be wrong

There is a benefit to having youngsters play in the CHL. It provides setting where they can build confidence, try a few plays that frankly they might never have the chnace of useing in the NHL other wise, learn to be leaders. I alway thought young player should have the opportunity to excell at their craft. What's missing here is patience

Considering he only had the surgery a week or two ago and it's expected to keep him out for months I seriously doubt they're ready to release progress updates.

EDIT: Here's my post on Jan 6 from the injury thread, so his surgery was Jan 7.

BdVGEYDIYAAGyjt.jpg

Considering he only had the surgery a week or two ago and it's expected to keep him out for months I seriously doubt they're ready to release progress updates.

Well a simple update confirming that the surgery was completed and hopefully went well would seem to be a normal expectation.

Well, now I know when he had surgery. I'm surprised they haven't announced a successful surgery though. Don't they usually do that?

Regardless, hopefully he can heal up quick and start rehabbing it. I'm hoping he can at least get in a summer of training before next season. Is that too much to hope for given this kind of injury? I don't really know anything about it.

Well, now I know when he had surgery. I'm surprised they haven't announced a successful surgery though. Don't they usually do that?

Regardless, hopefully he can heal up quick and start rehabbing it. I'm hoping he can at least get in a summer of training before next season. Is that too much to hope for given this kind of injury? I don't really know anything about it.

A hip labral tear? Because he's young enough and pretty much in peak physical/biological condition, it should be quite easily successful and easy heal. Plus because hes young, there shouldn't be any recurring problems if the Doctor is competent (which I think he went to the best hip surgeon in the world, if I recall? Or in NA or something).

4-6 Months recovery. After that, hes 100% ready to play again.

A hip labral tear? Because he's young enough and pretty much in peak physical/biological condition, it should be quite easily successful and easy heal. Plus because hes young, there shouldn't be any recurring problems if the Doctor is competent (which I think he went to the best hip surgeon in the world, if I recall? Or in NA or something).

I don't know how much I can trust you but this makes me feel very hopeful. Thanks bud.

I don't know how much I can trust you but this makes me feel very hopeful. Thanks bud.

Take my answer with a grain of salt. I don't know how bad of a tear it is. Could be partial, full thickness... only the doctors and Hunter know. Also depends where it was torn and what surgery method (arthroscopic or invasive) . If Hunter was 20 years older, this surgery would be career ending. He would probably still be non-weightbearing after months...

Here's a PDF that would illuminate the surgery a little more; http://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/pdf2/rehab_hip_arthroscopy.pdf

4-6 months and back to 100% sounds good to me! It's brutal that he's lost a year of development, but I'm glad he'll likely get a summer of training in before moving up to the AHL.

http://www.vanhockey.com/2014/01/29/canucks-prospect-hunter-shinkaruk-recovers-in-the-desert-sun/

VANCOUVER — Vancouver Canucks prospect Hunter Shinkaruk lives in Calgary and is still junior property of the WHL’s Medicine Hat Tigers.

He’s an Albertan through and through but, really, how much Alberta winter can you take when you’re recovering from major hip surgery? Not all that much apparently, which is why Shinkaruk has been down in Palm Springs, Calif., since his Jan. 7 operation.

“Our family has a home down here so that’s where I’ve been since the surgery,” Shinkaruk said over the phone this week. “For this type of injury, it makes a lot of sense to be in the nice climate. A lot of my recovery is in the pool and we have a pool right in our backyard that I can use. I also don’t have to worry about falling on ice, or something like that which could set me back. So it’s kind of the plan to stay here for a while.”

Luckily, his mom Patricia was available to keep him company — and presumably take care of his nutritional needs — while dad Roger stayed back in Calgary to fill cavities and do root canals at his dental practice.

“My mom is enjoying the sun,” chuckled Shinkaruk, selected 24th overall last June by the Canucks. “My dad comes down to visit every once in a while.”

Sunscreen aside, Shinkaruk is pleased with the early stages of his rehab.

“I’m really surprised with how well I feel right now,” said Shinkaruk, 19. “I can walk normally now and if you saw me walk, you wouldn’t realize that I just had hip surgery. It’s been like that for a week now. Most of my rehab is done in the pool. I have a kind of suit that I wear that keeps me floating a little bit so I’m never putting 100 per cent of my weight on the hip, or stressing the bone.”

Shinkaruk had a tear of the labrum on his left side and his operation, performed by Dr. Marc Philippon in Vail, Colo., took four-and-a-half hours. The normal rehab period is four to six months.

“My hip hasn’t felt this good for quite a few years,” said Shinkaruk. “I’ve had a problem with it for a little bit and, last summer, I did a lot of work on it and it felt great, but then it got a little bit worse in that Portland game on Oct. 23. Every day I wake up now, my hip feels better than the day before. Dr. Philippon has given me a protocol to follow and it’s been going unbelievable. I’m really surprised with how well I feel.”

Shinkaruk expects he will be flying around by next fall when the Canucks open their 2014 training camp. He is a creative, offensive player and, Lord knows, would be a welcome addition to Vancouver’s lineup if his junior numbers translate to the NHL. Shinkaruk had 86 goals and 177 points in his last two full junior seasons.

“It’s really nice that I have quite a bit of time to get recovered 100 per cent,” he said. “There is no question in my mind that when camp opens I’ll be more than ready to go and that I’ll be a better player than I was last year. That’s definitely exciting.”

Seems like the surgery was a huge success, hopefully he can make the team next year!

Also looks like his family is extremely rich, maybe I should hook up with his sister...

Sunscreen aside, Shinkaruk is pleased with the early stages of his rehab.

“I’m really surprised with how well I feel right now,” said Shinkaruk, 19. “I can walk normally now and if you saw me walk, you wouldn’t realize that I just had hip surgery. It’s been like that for a week now. Most of my rehab is done in the pool. I have a kind of suit that I wear that keeps me floating a little bit so I’m never putting 100 per cent of my weight on the hip, or stressing the bone.”

Shinkaruk had a tear of the labrum on his left side and his operation, performed by Dr. Marc Philippon in Vail, Colo., took four-and-a-half hours. The normal rehab period is four to six months.

“My hip hasn’t felt this good for quite a few years,” said Shinkaruk. “I’ve had a problem with it for a little bit and, last summer, I did a lot of work on it and it felt great, but then it got a little bit worse in that Portland game on Oct. 23. Every day I wake up now, my hip feels better than the day before. Dr. Philippon has given me a protocol to follow and it’s been going unbelievable. I’m really surprised with how well I feel.”

good stuff, I wonder how long he has actually had the hip problem

Interesting to hear it's been something bothering him perhaps for a few years. We've seen Lack come back stronger than ever from his hip surgery and it sounds optimistic that Shinkaruk will do the same. Now let's see if he can resume his old form on the ice next year!

Archived