The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo still undecided on returning to Vancouver, exploring options

Gillis has talked to him, the media has not. This is all speculation..

Instead of the insider just saying, "I have not spoken to Luongo" he says "Luongo still exploring his options".

While both statements are true, the first statement better describes the situation. The second statement is designed to stir up controversy.

He caused this.. went to the media asking for a trade because of a couple of playoff games, rather than keeping his mouth shut collecting his money and coming back and out playing Schnieder this year. The organization has babied him since he got here

I never understood why so many people hated Luongo; these people must not have known what it was like to have Cloutier as your #1 goalie! For those of you who weren't around in that era, basically every shot (no matter where it was taken) had a legitimate chance of going in the net...

Its the truth moron.. thats what he did.. there was no mention of going with cory until luo went to the media.. he was the number 1 going into the playoffs.. how do i know that.. BECAUSE HE STARTED THE SERIES IDIOT.

then he can kiss his chance of ever playing in the nhl again goodbye because the canucks won't let him go for nothing so luongo is going to have to play end of story he can not report if he truly wants to but it hurts him more than the canucks

As far as I'm concerned he signed his contract in good faith and he should honour it in good faith. Even though I don't blame him for signing it at the time he chose to sign it, he wasn't forced and he knew the expectations and consequences of carrying that kind of contract. Gillis made the mistake of letting the goaltender fiasco go as long as it did, that is undeniable but Luongo is still under contact and getting paid millions of dollars to play in a market that still has a lot of fans loyal to him, myself included. He definitely deserves an apology but two wrongs don't make a right. If he doesn't report then he is letting his teammates down and the fans down. He is still getting paid by the Canucks which means they are honouring their end so he needs to come back ready to play hard and honor his.

You can't void his contract. His options are to play here, play (and possibly get traded somewhere), or sit out and not collect any money. If he sits out and gets suspended, his cap hit still counts.

People comparing this to Bure's situation are ridiculous. The Canucks tried to sign Bure in Canadian dollars (exchange rate was around 60 cents at that time), spread rumours in the media that he would sit out during the playoffs if he didn't get a new contract, etc.

Archived