The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo Remains Unhappy - Refusing Interview Requests - Continuing to Explore Options

He has explored his options...report...refuse...retire. He has got advice. He is now waiting for an opportune time to say anything because who give a crap. He now knows his only real choice is to report.

I don't blame him, he's been handling this all very well but this is a terrible situation. Luongo thinks he's leaving for over a year, stays stays stays, and suddenly he's the starting goalie again, with absolutely no warning. Not even a phone call. Gillis couldn't even discuss this with his goalies first? I'm not a Gillis hater but he screwed up big time.

Okay so after more than a year of not being able to be traded, people somehow still think he can just demand a trade and get out? Yeah OK.

He has two options, play and play for Canada in Sochi. Or do not play and do not play for Canada at Sochi. The choice is 100% obvious.

Okay so after more than a year of not being able to be traded, people somehow still think he can just demand a trade and get out? Yeah OK.

He has two options, play and play for Canada in Sochi. Or do not play and do not play for Canada at Sochi. The choice is 100% obvious.

It could also be that anything and everything Luongo says is usually judged and perceived with an extreme amount criticism and usually twisted around to mean something it never was meant to be. If I was Lu I wouldn't say sh** to anyone either,

I don't blame him, he's been handling this all very well but this is a terrible situation. Luongo thinks he's leaving for over a year, stays stays stays, and suddenly he's the starting goalie again, with absolutely no warning. Not even a phone call. Gillis couldn't even discuss this with his goalies first? I'm not a Gillis hater but he screwed up big time.

So does anyone have a quote from luongo saying he was exploring his options, wants out since the trade? All I have been able to find is several botchford/media sensationalist blogs and articles speculating what if situations or twisting gmmg words ie play or don't play when asked luongo's options. I think the media is the one that is more butt hurt that after everything they have written/said about him since 2011 how dare he not grant them a interview since the trade, this is the offseason and just like you or I he deserves privacy when on vacation. Why do fans and media feel entitled to hear from him?

Tortorella has already spoken with Luongo, and recently referred to Luongo as a "hell of a goalie" and the "backbone of the Canucks". Why would Torts make such bold statements if his 'meeting' with Luongo didn't go well? I think Luongo just wants to enjoy his summer and not deal with the stress of the media and such until hockey season.

Financially Luo could likely afford to retire right now. It's not about money. This is his career he's been working towards/in most of his life and he knows that he, like all athletes, has a finite amount of time to enjoy it. The lockout and backup thing already kept him from getting much from this year. No way is he going to sit out another season. He'll play. It's just his nature.

At worst, like someone suggested here earlier, he may ask them (or they may offer) to promise to buy him out or trade him next summer if it doesn't work out. There is definitely some bridge mending to do, but Luo loved playing here, he likes the guys and most of them are still here, and we have new coaches who will hopefully be better at managing goalies. All in all, I'd give the likelihood that he wouldn't report around 0%.

There is a level of pride that comes into play....what's a guy supposed to say when he was replaced by his team, publicly rejected (well, his contract was) by other teams and, to some degree the message sent through all of that is interpreted as "you're not worth it"? Self esteem takes a bit of a blow. He handled it well, through humour and off the cuff stuff that made it easier for everyone involved to save face. And he obviously understands that it isn't about him, it's about that piece of paper but it still doesn't make it easier.

Then suddenly, in an abrupt turn of events things have shifted gears and, in a last resort move by his team, that means it's all changed now and he stays afterall?

What the hell does he say at this point? What would you say? Remember his "my contract sucks"....I'm pretty sure we can rewind to that.

As to what'll happen. I'm confident Lu shows up ready to play as the true professional he's always been.

Archived