The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Can we be optimistic for next season?

Jordan Schroeder

I'm cautiously optimistic because it is going to be like a different team,even though most of the faces are familiar....It's going to be very trendy to discount the Canucks ,by all the hockey experts on TV(and our own fans)...I agree with other posters that this is going to be a transition year,..even so..we do have elite players on this team.

Tortorella is the only real improvement this team has made. We've gone backwards in every single other position.

Top 6 Forwards - Backwards (Sedins are older, no improvements)

Bottom 6 Forwards - Backwards (replace Raymond and Lapierre with Richardson and Santorelli)

Centers - Backwards (Lose Roy and Lapierre, get Richardson and Santorelli)

Top 4 Defence - No change

Defensive Depth - Backwards (replace Ballard and Alberts with Weber)

Goaltending - Backwards (replace Schneider with Eriksson)

The Canucks are in trouble unless Tortorella can somehow work some serious magic and get this team playing solid defence. He seems to know what it takes to win a Cup, so if he can get every player to improve their performance - as well as introduce youth - we'll be better than expected. Right now though, I think we barely make the playoffs.

Not feeling very positive about the team in the upcoming season. Unless the younger guys can step up, the Canucks will struggle in the tougher division.

Staying healthy and being consistent, (as always with this team) will be tell the story as well.

Tortorella is the only real improvement this team has made. We've gone backwards in every single other position.

Top 6 Forwards - Backwards (Sedins are older, no improvements)

Bottom 6 Forwards - Backwards (replace Raymond and Lapierre with Richardson and Santorelli)

Centers - Backwards (Lose Roy and Lapierre, get Richardson and Santorelli)

Top 4 Defence - No change

Defensive Depth - Backwards (replace Ballard and Alberts with Weber)

Goaltending - Backwards (replace Schneider with Eriksson)

The Canucks are in trouble unless Tortorella can somehow work some serious magic and get this team playing solid defence. He seems to know what it takes to win a Cup, so if he can get every player to improve their performance - as well as introduce youth - we'll be better than expected. Right now though, I think we barely make the playoffs.

Maybe I have rose-coloured glasses on but I'm not only optimistic, but SUPER excited too!

A new coach: Our players may be another year older, but they are in now way declining yet. AV was a cancer with our team. He just isn't the type of coach to light a fire under players' a$$e$, which is what our guys have been needing after that heart breaking SCF game 7 loss. Torts will do this. Not to mention he is one of the (if not THE) best coaches in the NHL when working with youth.

Healthy key players: Booth and Kesler should both be ready and 100% to play. Ummm, yeah, this is key. I don't really need to say more.

Special teams & D: AV et al special team went into the sewer. Garrison anyone? He will have a full year of blasting shots from the point on the PP, Edler will be better under Torts, no Ballard drama, a little youth, the Olympics coming up. Our D has the potential, and I think they will live up to it under Torts, to be the best in the league.

Youth: Torts

4th line: one year older and an upgrade in Richardson who is much better on faceoffs and has great experience.

Lou: this is my only worry. I expect him to report, and if he does he will play great all year under Torts and a great D lineup this year, but if he doesn't then all my positivity goes right out the window :)

also, for those mentioning a 100% healthy booth: the guy hasn't been medically cleared yet and it's only 6 weeks until preseason. considering the amount of time he's missed over the last several seasons, i could easily see it taking until christmas for him to get up to speed.

i predict we'll see raymondesque numbers at best from booth this year.

Healthy.....That is the reason I am optimistic. We have a solid team if you take away all of the complaining and whining you read here.

We aren't going to run the division or even win it in my mind. That makes me happier than ever before because this team will have to battle for every game leading into the postseason. That translates well to postseason success for many teams. Im not optimistic on winning the presidents trophy. I am optimistic about watching a team compete night in and night out for a chance to play come playoff time.

New coach, some new players, healthy players returning and a full season. There is no reason not to be optimistic or at least cautiously optimistic unless you are a fair weather fan.

How can I be optimisic about next season? Pretty easy really.

First, there is a new voice in the room. Let me say, I think AV IS a good coach, just that his message was very stale and he had pretty much lost the room because of stagnation. Torts brings in a new voice and new approach to things which can change how the players respond and play. I expect the team will actually show up for the start of their games next year, instead of taking a period off in almost every game like they did last year.

Second, Booth and Kesler will be healthy to start the season. A healthy Kesler is one of the most dynamic and dominant two-way players in the game, staying healthy will be key. Now for Booth, lots of fans here LOVE to hate on him but happily forget what he brings: a fast, large winger who drives the net and can lay the body. I think Booth lights it up next year, he certainly has something to prove after last season.

Third, the youth infusion. I don't know about everyone else, but I actually enjoy watching the young guys getting a shot and succeeding. With the cap going down, some prospects will be playing and I think with Torts willingness to play younger players in key situations we will see Schroeder and possibly Gaunce and Jensen develop into useful NHL level players.

I would say realistic would be a more suitible word to describe my feelings towards the upcoming season. My realistic expection is we make the playoffs, in the bottom seed.

The fact is, we still have the Sedins which is point/game players, with a healthy Kesler we have one of the best two-way players in the game, Hamhuis which is a top 15/20 defenceman in the league, Edler if he is able to have a bounce back year is one of the best offensive d-men in the league and on top of that Luongo a top 7 goalie. Garrisson with a rocket of a shot could be very effective on our pp when everyone is healthy.

Kesler - Sedin - Sedin

Edler & Garrisson

Should be a top 5 pp team in the league IMO

Alongside this we have players like Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, perhaps Kassian and Booth who is able to generate decent numbers and play with both gritt and skill.

On top of this we have a new coach, which could make sigificant changes to the players regarfing attitude and other aspects of the game.

We'll end up at 5th place, go past first round and get knocked out by the Blues in the second.

The reset will be going on for 2-3 years this is just the start. Gillis and Gillman have actually done a good job with the cap, added some decent new faces, signed all our RFA's except Tanev who I think will sign at 1.5-1.75 and will leave us with some space to get a depth D. He also stocked the farm club and had a very good draft considering the situation with Lou. We also only used 1 compliance buyout this year and have 1 left for next year, lots of teams have used both and will be sorry they did next year. With the move to the Pacific this year we play much bigger grittier teams and the hire of a tough coach in Torts was what the team needed.

Well the goalie controversy is over, hopefully plus we got a better prospect pool now. We might not be favourites but at least we can be optimistic about some of our younger guys. We are also going to make the playoffs most likely and as we've seen in the past few years, every team thats majes the playoffs has a legitmate chance of winning (the conspiracy theorist may disagree tho).

Archived