The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Can we be optimistic for next season?

Jordan Schroeder

OP's legitimacy questionable, after calling a Presidents Trophy winning year a "boring regular season".

I'm not as optimistic as I have been in the past. On paper we've gone backwards in almost every position. However, it is time for our youth to step in and make a difference. If they do well, what looked like a downgrade actually becomes an upgrade, or at least, a sideways move.

- If Guance, Schroeder, or Horvat excels at the 3rd line center position, and gives us a legitimate 35-point option there with strong 2-way play, that will give us a big upgrade on Lapierre.

- If Corrado and Tanev take the next step, and/or if Weber does well if Corrado doesn't make it, our blueline will be better. Remember the revolving door of lefties on our third pairing last year?

- If Kassian can play anything like he did at the start of last season, that gives us another solid top-6 threat.

Then there is health. We got a grand total of 39 games out of Booth AND Kesler last season, and half of those games they were just finding their legs. Even if just one of them stays healthy and productive this year, that is a big upgrade over last season. And lastly, coaching. Our PP was crap last year, and our PK in the playoffs was even worse. Hopefully the coaching changes will rectify that.

what are the chances of them winning a cup ? maybe 1 in a million ? so your saying you think theres a chance ????????

im a canucks fan , not a bandwagoner .. I go in every season optimistic that this may be our year .. Im proud of that ..

what are the chances of them winning a cup ? maybe 1 in a million ? so your saying you think theres a chance ????????

im a canucks fan , not a bandwagoner .. I go in every season optimistic that this may be our year .. Im proud of that ..

"I honestly think this is a more well-rounded team than last year."

- too bad you didn't bother to defend this statement. I wish people would learn that a statement without reasons to believe it is meaningless. (You might want to study the art of argument.)

"I honestly think this is a more well-rounded team than last year."

- too bad you didn't bother to defend this statement. I wish people would learn that a statement without reasons to believe it is meaningless. (You might want to study the art of argument.)

How can we be optimistic and or excited for next season? Simple....it's mid summer there's NO hockey on. The idea of a new full season gives me wood. As for the team itself. New coach, healthy WELL rested top 6 that is still barely 2 years removed from multiple accolades awards and hardware. New and tougher division meaning we have to work harder. Plethora of centers worthy of taking over 3rd and or 4th line duties that can actually slot in as a wing. For that matter a much hungrier much more skilled and grittier bottom 6. A Luongo with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, no goaltending controversy and while the team isn't exactly new, we have prospects to be excited about a great team and that alone is reason to be optimistic no matter what the whiners who are never happy about anything this team does say. Go Nucks Go

A few things to look forward are:

- Completley new coaching staff.

- Kassian could have a breakout season.

- Schroeder will probably play his first full season, so it will be interesting to see how he does.

- I think Luongo will have a really good season after the whole goalie controversy thing.

- If Booth can stay healthy we will finally be able to see what he can do.

- Tanev keeps progressing.

I too thought there would be more changes though.

A few things to look forward are:

- Completley new coaching staff. same end result.

- Kassian could have a breakout season. so could dale weise. get where i'm going with this?

- Schroeder will probably play his first full season, so it will be interesting to see how he does. and if he does, the team will struggle to make the playoffs.

- I think Luongo will have a really good season after the whole goalie controversy thing. luongo will thrive once jp manages to get him a trade.

- If Booth can stay healthy we will finally be able to see what he can do. which will be really underwhelming.

- Tanev keeps progressing. sure, you can have that one.

I too thought there would be more changes though.

I really hope the Canucks do well next season however I have to temper those expectations with some logic and realism.

With the youth (apparently) being thrown into the lineup and the inability of Vancouver to make any real improvements to the team because of our financial woe's, I see the franchise more sneaking into the playoffs than anything.

There isn't going to be the ultra soft North West division to pick on anymore..now we have those big nasty California teams to deal with as well as those scary upcoming Edmonton Oilers (lol). Okay, Edmonton not so much...but the points will definitely not be as forthcoming as they have been after the realignment. It ain't all bad though...with those 'gimmie' points gone the Canucks might actually be forced to put in a 60 minute effort for the majority of games this year.

Archived