The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Could Kesler Be The Face Of Gay Rights In The Sochi Olympics?

NikiShiz

I think jesse owens winning the gold in 1936 was one of the biggest FU's to hitlers stupid racism.

Hopefully Gay athletes kick ass here.

I just don't get it. I thought the world was getting more progressive on tolerance of sexuality.

Especially considering that there is not exactly a strong religious current running through Russia, I just don't get the angle.

Russia said they'll arrest any LGBT athletes. That's effin' despicable. A horrid thing for a nation to implement for any reason.

I'm hoping for some extremely strong action against Sochi 2014, because letting this slide only empowers those in Russia that believe this to be a right law to enact. Shameful.

If I was an athlete competing, I'd be a lot more vocal about what's going on there, even if it cost me playing in Sochi. People, I think, would resepect any athelete that would do that.

It's in the spirit of the oath that the athletes take - while attending & participating in these games. What if all of the spectators, media & attendees had to do the same tihng. Setting aside hostilities for a time...to appreciate the glory of sport...if you can't do that FINE. Don't go. Don't participate. Don't watch.

What? I didn't say that, you lost me. What I said is that till someone comes out of the closet stands up for who they are and makes the league rethink who they are what Ryan does has little impact. It's just not real till there is a face to it, players can say all day long and twice on Sunday they can play but there not playing till a gay player says they are going to play. Understand? You really think Ryan will make a difference? They need to do it for themselves and they can, and until they do it for themselves there are no gay players playing so its just lip service (yes I know there are gay players playing but it comes back to it needs a name).

Archived