The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] VAN Extends Jannik Hansen

Strombone1

I agree with you about the NTCs and definately the limited NTCs not being that big a deal. But I think you're off about the Nuck #s. For the most part, they have been given to the core players with the best work ethic.

Daniel

Henrik

Kes

Hamhuis

Garrison

Edler

Bieksa

Hansen

Higgins

Lu

Not sure about Burr

You're right. I was going by last year's numbers - and a few of those other teams numbers have changed as well. The Canucks have added a few - but I don't see it as an issue - a limited NTC is not as problematic imo as many people perceive.

I agree with you about the NTCs and definately the limited NTCs not being that big a deal. But I think you're off about the Nuck #s. For the most part, they have been given to the core players with the best work ethic.

Daniel

Henrik

Kes

Hamhuis

Garrison

Edler

Bieksa

Hansen

Higgins

Lu

Not sure about Burr

Burrows has one too. That's 11 of the Canuck regulars with a NTC of some variety.

The concern I have NTCs isn't about work ethic or quality of the individual player, but about how a team's entire makeup can change over the duration of any one contract (injuries, newbs coming up, aging, coaching focus, etc.)... Too easy for a team to end up in a spot where hands are tied making "the" trade to fill in an unexpected gap or to switch gears, etc.

I'm of the school of thought if everyone has a NTC on long term contracts, limited or not, they can get too comfortable and all the creativity and hard work can go out the door.

Look at all the long term contracts and NTCs the Canucks have. Have any of thee players looked too comfortable?

I agree with your theory, but your statement is too general. The Canucks only give NTCs to a certain type of player. Personality does not change in adulthood, and work ethic is part of personality. The Canucks are not giving NTCs to just any type of player. All the players that have been given NTCs and long term contracts have an incredible work ethic and are dedicated to the game of hockey rather than the game of getting a paycheck.

How could anyone be concerned about Honey Badger's work ethic going down the tube? The Sedins? Kesler? Hamhuis? These are all extremely hard working guys who love the game and so, while your school of though may be a good general concept to endorse, once other factors are taken into consideration, I don't really see it as have much reliability.

If Hansen ever hits free agency, some GM will throw huge money at him. There are coaches and GM's that covet him.

He's the one guy on this squad that always brings his testicles to the rink every night. Should be a Nuck for life, absolute heart and soul guy.

Great signing.

Look at all the long term contracts and NTCs the Canucks have. Have any of thee players looked too comfortable?

I agree with your theory, but your statement is too general. The Canucks only give NTCs to a certain type of player. Personality does not change in adulthood, and work ethic is part of personality. The Canucks are not giving NTCs to just any type of player. All the players that have been given NTCs and long term contracts have an incredible work ethic and are dedicated to the game of hockey rather than the game of getting a paycheck.

How could anyone be concerned about Honey Badger's work ethic going down the tube? The Sedins? Kesler? Hamhuis? These are all extremely hard working guys who love the game and so, while your school of though may be a good general concept to endorse, once other factors are taken into consideration, I don't really see it as have much reliability.

Skipping the "too comfortable" factor, which arguably isn't a factor where all angel-like Canucks are concerned, lol - the problem with 11 NTCs is that as the team changes/evolves over the duration of any individual contract, NTC simply limit the flexibility of mgmt to adjust rosters... For example (EXAMPLE ONLY!!!), imagine -

Hansen is awesome character and awesome production, develops over this season into a dependable, even notable 2nd line guy, etc. On the surface, that means his contract is an epic steal and who cares about his NTC, right?

But over this same season, Kesler gets knocked out with another injury and another 8 month recovery, so Canucks are desperate for a 2nd line center and gotta make a trade for it cuz the prospects aren't ready.... With Booth not showing much and Burrows needed for the Sedins, Hansen becomes the expendable guy for trade bait. Not because of problems with his character or work ethic or talents, etc. But in fact because he is actually so good. Except that Hansen has a NTC...

A lesson learned by many a-entrepreneur - sometimes it's actually better to hire the best experts (aka: pay a player more) than to make them your partner (pay less but end up locked in forever).

Archived