The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] VAN Extends Jannik Hansen

Strombone1

Clarkson and Hansen are comparable players(in terms of point production, not player types).

Both players are fantastic 3rd liners and can fill in top-6.

Toronto paid 5m+ for Clarkson, we get Hansen for half of that.

Just to put things in perspective.

Honey badger don't care what kind of money Clarkson makes!!!

lebrun_twitter_49669_normal.jpgPierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun36s

Hansen signs 4-yr, $10 M deal in Van City. $2.5 M AAV

$2.5 for our 3rd leading scorer last year. Awesome!

Also a heart and soul grit player, coming into his prime years. Absolutely smashing good news!

Same cash as Higgins, makes you wonder what Gillis was smoking in summer though... Daniel Cleary (in Detroit) money should have been tops for him.

Clarkson and Hansen are comparable players(in terms of point production, not player types).

Both players are fantastic 3rd liners and can fill in top-6.

Toronto paid 5m+ for Clarkson, we get Hansen for half of that.

Just to put things in perspective.

Derp; 2 years ago, if we could have traded for Clarkson instead of Kassian we would have.

Let me re-phrase that, should have... He was ready to play, not years away. Hansen is a fast physical player who can score 50 points. Clarkson is a fast physical player who can score 50 points. will bust your face, strike fear in front of the net, in the corners and adds a whole new dimension of size and nastiness. As much as TO probably overrated size when they paid him $5 mill, he is worth more than Hansen.

Derp; 2 years ago, if we could have traded for Clarkson instead of Kassian we would have.

Let me re-phrase that, should have... He was ready to play, not years away. Hansen is a fast physical player who can score 50 points. Clarkson is a fast physical player who can score 50 points. will bust your face, strike fear in front of the net, in the corners and adds a whole new dimension of size and nastiness. As much as TO probably overrated size when they paid him $5 mill, he is worth more than Hansen.

I agree that Clarkson is slightly better than Hansen, but I feel that Hansen's speed is just as valuable as Clarksons grit.

Which is why he specified that he was only refering to point production.

Clarksons a bit overPaid and hansen a bit underpaid. Difference between these two should be closer to a mil.

Not too happy with this one. I'd much prefer not including a NTC. Jannik Hansen wears his heart on his sleeve, sure, but he is so frustrating to watch sometimes. His hands will never catch up with his feet.

Why should Hansen be traded?

Hansen is a third-liner. If he plays in the top-six, we're a non-contending team. Think about our top six. It includes the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows. Automatically, four of the top 6 guys don't fight, and aren't particularly intimidating. I'd prefer the majority of our third and fourth liners to even that out by being tough and able to drop the gloves, otherwise this team will continue to get pushed around every post-season. Hansen, God love him, is a poor man's Burrows. We already have those types of players. We need size and toughness to fill out the third and fourth lines. He plays with tenacity, and he gets under the opposition skin, but he doesn't answer the bell, and leaves us more vulnerable for the opposition to take out their anger on our top 6.

In a year or two, we will wish Hansen's contract was shorter and more flexible. This one is paralyzing.

It's just as important to keep the puck out of the net as putting it in the net. Hansen is very good defensively and will score some goals as well. His pts per game have gone up consistently since he made the team, so he still has some upside.

He may not be a fighter (which I don't see as necessary -who were the fighters on Chicago's top 6?), but he can lay out some hard hits and is tough to knock off the puck. He has exceptional speed and great tenacity.

Its a LIMITED NTC, so he can be traded if need be. He just doesn't want to be traded to Alberta or TO. :shock:

I understand what a limited NTC is.

a) None of us know the full terms of his NTC.

B) Not saying he needs to be traded.

Like some people have explained so elaborately, NTC's restrict management's options if and when they need to move a player. Greatest example was our very own Luongo.

I understand what a limited NTC is.

a) None of us know the full terms of his NTC.

B) Not saying he needs to be traded.

Like some people have explained so elaborately, NTC's restrict management's options if and when they need to move a player. Greatest example was our very own Luongo.

NTC hardly had anything to do with Lu not being traded. It was the tenure and and new CBC terms that killed it.

Limited NTC (like Higgins has) usually state a dozen teams that the player would or wouldn't want to be traded to. Can't see that restricig managements options that much.

I agree that Clarkson is slightly better than Hansen, but I feel that Hansen's speed is just as valuable as Clarksons grit.

Its not that he is better, but what kind of advantage you can create with that size and playing style. There becomes a reason to put a 50 point player on a first line. Clarkson would offset the size of a defenseman like Chara because he can battle him on the boards. Therefore the Twins could do more. Hansen, same with Burrows, means there are situations, particularly in play offs when coaches PLAY match up. No matter how good three 185 lb guys are, they can be rubbed out (unless they have a substantial speed advantage, which the Twins do not). The story of our lives, no?

Which is why he specified that he was only refering to point production.

Clarksons a bit overPaid and hansen a bit underpaid. Difference between these two should be closer to a mil.

We're sort of in agreement; Hansen is a bargain and Clarkson overpaid but both add something valuable to a team.

But the market has proven a big guy who can play on a first line (which Hansen has yet to do, save a game here or there) is a commodity the market has always paid more for. See the reasons just above.

My key point was that Clarkson, while his points are similar is really quite a different player, and not a good comparable.

Look what we pay Booth?

So let me see if I understand this correctly.............we've won 1 playoff game in the last 2 years, yet we keep signing our players to NTC's?

I think MG mistook the "reset" button for the "status quo" button.

Change for the sake of change is not always the best thing.

So let me see if I understand this correctly.............we've won 1 playoff game in the last 2 years, yet we keep signing our players to NTC's?

I think MG mistook the "reset" button for the "status quo" button.

I'm only against one specific NTC, Higgins.

In principle, I don't object individually to the NTC any of our D received. As a whole I think its dumb to have three left handed, left side D, who can't all play Top 4 who can control our ability to make trades. None of these guys like to play right side, and only Garrison is ok at it, although he's better in his natural position. Without the ability to trade one, and considering the dollars they tie up, it will be hard to ever acquire the puck rushing defender our team needs to be complete. We also have at least one too many NTC's on D!!!

Danny no problems

Hank check

Kesler ok

Hansen fine

Burrows meh, he's earned it

Archived