The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] NYI Matt Moulson + Picks for BUF Thomas Vanek

Strombone1

Buffalo is going to be Edmonton of the East. stocking up those first round picks like a kid trick or treating on halloween.

The difference being that Buffalo is drafting much more intelligently by having stocked up on solid prospect d-men, goalies and two-way forwards. They just need to add the star players now.

I feel the same. Moulson WAS a good player, but his stats have been greatly exaggerated due to playing with Tavares. Perhaps he was looking for a big payday, and the Isles didn't want to pay it. And skillwise, Vanek is a far superior player.

The way I look at it, the Isles feel like they have a good team atmosphere. They haven't been able to sign the big free agent, but the last two veterans they traded for got dragged kicking-and-screaming to the team (Nabokov and Visnovsky), only to quickly realize they liked it there and gladly stayed. Perhaps Snow thinks if they bring Vanek in early and get him playing with Tavares, he won't want to leave.

They overpaid a bit (by a 2nd round pick, by my estimation), but players of Vanek's calibre aren't usually available.

That's exactly why I'm slow to judge this trade. Since the Dipietro contract, the Isles have done an incredibly good job drafting, developing their players, and re-signing people for a very decent cap hit (see Tavares). The only misfire I've disagreed with so far is letting Parenteau walk. Otherwise, they have done a great job over the last 5 years in running their franchise. Your Nabokov and Visnovsky examples are great examples of this.

The difference being that Buffalo is drafting much more intelligently by having stocked up on solid prospect d-men, goalies and two-way forwards. They just need to add the star players now.

If they finish low enough to be able to get Reinhart, Draisitel (I probably butchered that name), or Ritchie they'd be set for the future.

Vanek has a higher goals per game than Moulson and he's done it mainly on his own. He had some season with Briere in his prime and Stafford. With all due respect neither are the same caliber as Tavares.

It's a bit of a steep price, think they would have been fine without the 2nd.the 1st in this draft is not a high pick, especially if they make the playoffs. Draft this year is not a super deep draft from what I'm hearing.

Moulson was deemed expendable likely because of Okposo's vastly improved play this year. And Moulson and Okposo play similar styles, guys that drive the net and retrieve pucks. Also Okposo has shown he'd able to play up and down the lineup the last few years while Moulson needs to be with Tavares to be effective. His corsi without Tavares is like 40%.

Being able to bring in an elite sniper for a power forward who is not able to make your other lines better if you need to mix up the lines for a spark can be a bit of an issue coaching wise. Vanek, hopefully finds instant chemistry with Tavares and clicks. If not, coming in as a secondary threat at even strength with Nielsen could be huge. An already lethal PP gets deadlier with Vanek on the half wall with Tavares. And potentially letting a younger player be elevated in the line up for Tavares to help. Of course this latter bit is a worst case scenario.

For buffalo, the question is what do they get for the eventual flip of Moulson.

The Islanders can always flip Vanek at the deadline if they don't come to an agreement. I don't see how this is anything but a safe risk for the Islanders. They have tons of young talented top 6 players waiting with a logjam at the nhl level. Vanek clicks with Tavares and stays in NYI. Trade price worth it. Vanek clicks but doesn't sign extension,he'a Traded for a prospect + 1st

Top NHL goal scorers since 2009:

1. Lightning Steven Stamkos 192

2. Capitals Alex Ovechkin 162

3. Sharks Patrick Marleau 136

4. Ducks Corey Perry 134

5. Leafs Phil Kessel 126

*10. Sabres Matt Moulson 118

*18. Islanders Thomas Vanek 110

Their Centers have a lot to do with that production. This season Vanek's production will go up and Moulson's will go down.

That's what everybody says about the Coil.

I don't know very many people saying the Oilers are rebuilding well. Last few years everyone has been saying they need D and goaltending but they kept drafting forwards (Yakupov over Murray)

unless there are some relationship issue between Moulson and the Islander behind the scene, I just dont see anyone with a normal IQ would make a trade like that...

seriously wtf man... a trade happened between two players who are the same age, same range of production, and both are UFA next season... yet one side has to throw in a first round and a second round pick to make the switch?

I think one huge factor not being discussed here in this forum is the potential impact in both these team's reasoning with regards to the expected rise in the Salary Cap Limit this offseason, which by many accounts could top $7.0 million per team.

The impact of a sudden possible $210 million to the FA period is going to have massive implications.

Most pundits speculated that it would be unlikely that Vanek would be able to match his current average in a new deal and it's extremely unlikely that Buffalo would give him $7.5 mil + per season. Conversely, coupled with their new building, it's possible the Isles see a 5 or 6 year deal at this price doable for Vanek.

Moulson himself, with potentially inflated stats from JT, might be able to command close to $6 mil per season in a seller's market. That may have been impossible to swallow from the NYI's perspective with their internal structure. Buffalo will also have a hard time justifying that. This makes Moulson the ultimate type of rental player where Vanek may not be.

Archived