The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] NYI Matt Moulson + Picks for BUF Thomas Vanek

Strombone1

Don't discount the Isles ability to re-sign Vanek, should they want to at season end. They've had a number of players end up on the island who "didn't want to be there" only to re-sign later at or even slightly under market value.

I think a first, second and moulson was a bit steep, but when you look at the talent Vanek has I think this is simply a gutsy play by the isles. They're a .500 hockey team and this is not the lateral motion alot of CDC seems to think it is; Moulson is good, but it's Anson Carter-itis. He's playing with Tavares, of course he looks great.

If Vanek and Tavares develop any sort of chemistry, look out east coast. There's a reason Edmonton sheeted Vanek all those years ago, and not just because they were stupid.

No matter how the players turn out, Buffalo cannot lose this trade. They are going nowhere this season and they have managed to get younger / rebuild by trading away Vanek for picks + prospects (once they trade Moulson), and have arguably received over-payment on top of that.

ufa for ufa and a 1st, 2nd

Not really, you don't let a guy like Vanek walk, so he would either be signed or traded. UFA doesn't have much bearing in Vanek's value, infact I'd say it increases it, he can go to the Isles and if he does well re-sign on their terms.

2 second rounders and this becomes an ok trade

Lots of hate on G-Snow.

Thomas Vanek is on a whole different level than Moulson... And they're both UFAs.

Vanek is a game-changer. He has 18 points in his last 25 playoff games -- including thirteen goals... on Buffalo. Last year he had 41 points in 38 games. A 1st + a 2nd + another UFA-to-be is not that bad of a deal. He would've gotten a 1st + something at the deadline for sure.

Snow made a good move to give Vanek and Tavares plenty of time to gel. And extra time for Snow to get a contract done too.

Although Moulson is a decent player, I doubt he gets even close to the offensive numbers he was seeing next to Tavares.

Adding a superstar winger gives the Isles a chance to get past the 1st round.

I think Vanek is being underrated here. He's elite.

I've said it again, but I will reiterate.

A few years ago at the trade deadline Buffalo set the tone for the day by trading Gaustad for an unheard of amount for a player of his skill set. Setting the price for rental players.

Last night Buffalo again set the price for a basic rental and they set it high. Whether this means they'll flip Moulson at the deadline and reap an even greater or possibly equal return as they did for Vanek or even something comparable.

Buffalo has set the terms for players of this calibre. Now, again start throwing out your trade proposals of Booth and SChroeder and ask yourself what that will get you, because after last night the bar is set and you'd have to throw a pick in to net a Gomez with the bar where it is.

Gaustad, Pominville, Sekera and Vanek. All four of those players were not going to stay in Buffalo which is why they traded them. You have no clue about the situation in Buffalo right now so don't pretend that you do.

Buffalo has a mix of younger players and veterans on their team. What structure do you speak of? Many of the younger guys are getting opportunities to play on the big club in order to hone their game. Everyone seems to be doing fine with the exception of Grigorenko, but he seems to be starting to slowly find his game as well.

Development isn't just about burying players in the minors and junior, it's about giving them opportunities with the big club when they seem ready. Even though Buffalo has been losing, players like Girgensons, Ristolainen and Zadorov have been rock-solid thus far for the team. Girgensons has even been arguably been the best player on the ice on some nights.

The Sabres are in a much better situation than Edmonton since they built their prospect pool through defense and two-way forwards. They just need a Sam Reinhart and/or Connor McDavid and they'll be a dominant team in a few years.

That applies to every team tips.

I think if Vanek resigns, NYI won this trade. With the addition of Vanek, NYI pretty much is guaranteed a playoff spot; which means that their 1st rounder will be low. Vanek is also way underrated, he is a quality franchise player who does not need good players on his line to be good. The draft pick is also overrated, what's the chance that a 1st rounder turns into a top 6 player? More than half? I don't think so.

My initial thought was; wow, heavy overpayment by the Islanders (again, as usual)... But at the end of the day, they maybe could afford to give up their first for a scorer like Vanek. I can see him signing a big long-term contract with them. And I also didn't know Moulson was having a contract year as well.

Pretty fair deal overall, but I'd still give it to Buffalo for the solid return, even if they can't lock up Moulson.

The Islanders better do well from here on out. If they lose Vanek to free agency and did not make the playoffs. This makes Burke's Kessel trade look brilliant.

Lol in retro Burke's Kessel trade WAS brilliant. Kessel is leading the leafs, while Seguin is being tossed around, can't say Hall is doing a whole lot better.

If I'm Buffalo, I'm trying to move Moulson ASAP rather than at the deadline. His value is probably as high as it'll ever be.

Not sure I like this trade for NYI. Vanek is CLEARLY the better player and I don't mind this from a value standpoint, but unless they manage to re-sign him, it's a pure rental for a team that probably won't make the playoffs.

If I'm Buffalo, I'm trying to move Moulson ASAP rather than at the deadline. His value is probably as high as it'll ever be.

Not sure I like this trade for NYI. Vanek is CLEARLY the better player and I don't mind this from a value standpoint, but unless they manage to re-sign him, it's a pure rental for a team that probably won't make the playoffs.

This is so true.. I think Moulson Value will drop, although i think he is still very good.. Booth + 1st and 2nd for Moulson??? I know booth is not worth anything, but thats the only way it works cap wise.. that also gives sabers 2 1st and 2 2nds for a UFA.

Wow. Now, can Hodgson carry a team?

Who can score the goals?!

Someone has to, unless they are going to set records in a bad, bad way.

Ummm... Moulson maybe? He's a great player.

Islanders got hosed.

vanek and tavares will be solid

I can see Vanek getting back to a 40 goal scorer again with Tavares.

This is so true.. I think Moulson Value will drop, although i think he is still very good.. Booth + 1st and 2nd for Moulson??? I know booth is not worth anything, but thats the only way it works cap wise.. that also gives sabers 2 1st and 2 2nds for a UFA.

My memory serves the Islanders still have a boatload of cap space?

If this was about an extended play off run this year < all u can count on with rentals > why not keep Moulson and just send the picks?

And why in the world does Buffalo need a rental in Moulson?? Just that slim chance to stay ahead of Philly???

edit: uh duh, yeah, they can sell Moulson for more picks at the deadline...

Archived