The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian not what we think he is?

Merely

cody isn't who we thought he was either

Yes. CDC, including myself at times, thought Hodgson was gonna be Stamkos great. But having said that, if Hodgson developed patiently behind Henrik and Kesler, he might have had more success. For sure, he would be the team's second line center now.

I just expect him to be able to score 20 goals by the end of the year. If he breaks out within 3 years and scores 30 that'd be nice but a physical 20 goal scoring top-6 forward is all we need. If he pots 30 a year or two in his career we'll be a much better team.

Kassian, Jensen and even Virtanen are going to take a lot longer than other players to develop because they're big physical forwards, so need to round out their game (likewise for Horvat and Gaunce). Shinkaruk on the other hand doesn't have to, and really should be stepping right into the NHL now.

Kassian is going to be a valuable piece of the puzzle. If he wasn't they would've played him on the top line with the Sedins and pad his points up & dumped him by now. That hasn't happened cause he's here to stay... :blink:

Yep, some fans here don't understand the idea of 'grooming' a player. Clearly, kass, tanev, lack, bo are considered the 'core' of the future.

As a result, they are trying to drill home expectations on, off the ice, and in how the play and what they bring every night...why? because they will be the leaders of the next group and if a player is playing inconsistent thats fine but effort and style of play has to be there every night.

Kassian has all the tools to be a great player in this league and the coaches are trying to teach him how to get there. Many here dont realize that there is a method to the madness, being on the third line isn't a signal or demotion, its whats called coaching players to learn and develop what they need to develop.

Kassian needs to learn (as Torts said) to play like a guy like Higgins. If Kassian brings what Higgy or Burr does every night in terms of effort, drive, desire well he will be one of the best power forwards to ever play the game.

I think Kass's big problem is he actually has too much skill for his size and forgets about his size...Players like lucic etc dont have the hands, skating ability, see the ice like he does...so they impose their physicality on other teams to create their chances. That's what being on the third line is about, physical play, hard 200 ft game...and thats what he is developing...Moreover, Kass is as valuable on the 3rd line as he is on the second as given our issues with scoring from depth, when he does start potting some, he will be adding secondary scoring desperately needed. Its funny how people forget that Toffoli and Carter played the third line in LA during the playoffs, How Coutourier is still a 3c etc..but when Kass is on the third line, its because he sucks lol

Kass needs to learn to utilize that size, and realize if he does that, his talent will make him more dangerous than a player like Lucic.

I don't think Kass has really figured out how good he can really be. He has at times, but I also think he gets down on himself very quickly...he needs to simply outwork his opponents. When he learns to do that, the points will come, and confidence will follow.

It would also help if the media and fans would get off his back...as given recent comments to certain media types, he is pretty tired of it himself...

I love this kid and think when he puts it all together so many here are going to be saying how great he is, after calling him a bust, blah blah blah...

Yep, some fans here don't understand the idea of 'grooming' a player. Clearly, kass, tanev, lack, bo are considered the 'core' of the future.

Kass needs to learn to utilize that size, and realize if he does that, his talent will make him more dangerous than a player like Lucic.

good post. Yes he has to learn how to use his size. Stating the obvious but every size and build of player has to learn how to use their own particular body the best way on the ice. For Kassian it doesn't mean he has to hit everything that moves, (although it would be nice to see a few more bodies fly) he just has to push a little harder and skate through players, outmuscle them. Its frustrating watching him because a lot of games, we see this for a couple of shifts in a row, and then he disappears again.

His biggest impediment to developing faster is inside his head. He has to decide to put in the work. And to do it consistently. Interesting to read the first few posts on here, a year old, and they are all bringing up these same concerns of consistency. Kassian has to decide if he wants to be (or be close to at least) the next Bertuzzi, or Lucic, and the money that brings in.....or simply a good utility big NHL player like a Taylor Pyatt.

Bertuzzi proved he's legit. Kassian has yet to prove anything. Nice logic there.

You totally missed his joke.

Amish was mocking at the fact that people didn't call Bertuzzi a bust back then (partially due to the fact that people wasn't familiar with the player before he was traded). He later had a jump in points and the rest was history.

You totally missed his joke.

Amish was mocking at the fact that people didn't call Bertuzzi a bust back then (partially due to the fact that people wasn't familiar with the player before he was traded). He later had a jump in points and the rest was history.

my advice is to ignore that idiot, he's just looking for attention

i said from the start this guy was never going to be the next lucic or bert and we are proabbly looking at the next brad isbister.

That list is endless and Kassian could certainly be on it. I remember back in Taylor Pyatts draft year he was hyped to be the next big power forward and when he wasn't drafted top five they kept on talking about him only... he went around 10th to the Islanders and never did much.... i don't see a lot of difference in Kassian's career. A lot of people think it will come in time but a lot of people thought Pyatt was too.

That list is endless and Kassian could certainly be on it. I remember back in Taylor Pyatts draft year he was hyped to be the next big power forward and when he wasn't drafted top five they kept on talking about him only... he went around 10th to the Islanders and never did much.... i don't see a lot of difference in Kassian's career. A lot of people think it will come in time but a lot of people thought Pyatt was too.

This is the sad truth, there are many more "power forwards" that don't pan out then do. We may be looking at another example here if he can't pick up his effort. It's especially frustrating with zack because everyone can see that he has all the skills but he won't use them.

I just expect him to be able to score 20 goals by the end of the year. If he breaks out within 3 years and scores 30 that'd be nice but a physical 20 goal scoring top-6 forward is all we need. If he pots 30 a year or two in his career we'll be a much better team.

Kassian, Jensen and even Virtanen are going to take a lot longer than other players to develop because they're big physical forwards, so need to round out their game (likewise for Horvat and Gaunce). Shinkaruk on the other hand doesn't have to, and really should be stepping right into the NHL now.

Jensen has decent size but he is by NO means physical. He is a soft finesse scoring forward.

Kassian hasn't had to earn anything and that might be part of the problem. He's been given every chance to succeed, it's no secret MG pushed him on 2 coaches. I've been saying for a long time now he belongs on the 4th line. He's physical, can play in the other teams end a bit but is a liability against quality competition. Pretty much exactly what you would classify as a 4th liner.

I'm not saying that's what he'll always be, but right now he shouldn't be in the top 6.

There's really no reason to protest a 4th line role,which I think he will succeed easily than keep bit%in and moanin about deserving first line and 1st PP time.dude your still pulling in a major league cheque.So much about his lack of 1st line minutes sounds like he should be entitled, which isn't fair to our hard working vets, at some point this debate is nothing but a distraction to the team.

Bertuzzi was playing on our 4th line at age 24.

Comparing Kassian to guys like Nash, Lucic, and Bertuzzi right now is dumb. These guys either got their shot right away on weak teams, or had to earn their way up like Bertuzzi. Kassian will have to do what Bertuzzi did to become a top player. that takes patience.

No wonder fans in this city are always so bitter. They have ridiculous expectations that are never met.

Well said!

Archived