The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

And that's the same kind of boring, frustrated, misdirected rant that is a waste of time, and in no lack of abundance on CDC.

I have no problem with how he was used last year by AV, nor am I really concerned about him playing in the bottom six this year - that's where young players like Kassian should sharpen their skates imo - he's not developed enough imo to play with the Sedins - not an upgrade on everything Burrows does.

I think he's done well managing the fairly constant changes to his situational use - for the past two seasons the Canucks have had a considerable amount of absences from the middle forward lines - so it's been inevitable.

I'd have to agree with the complainers criticizing him to be bothered to make excuses - I don't see his play the way they or their sidekicks under the bridge see it - no excuses necessary. Complain all you want. OMG, does no one see how horrible this young guy is, blah, blah, boo hoo.

Weren't there enough Hodgson threads for you to whine and vent in?

I was simply agreeing with an observant Sabres fan.

If there's one thing I'm not interested in seeing, it is a ballbuster approach where Kassian is concerned.

I personally would like to see a certain number of shifts each game with the Twins. Not a free role, just a few chances to get his confidence and purpose up. Maybe every shift after Burrows kills a penalty?

The Twins control the puck and constantly move and rotate, which leaves whomever they play with obvious openings to hustle to themselves. It gives a young player both purpose and teaches them how to play. Miraculously, when Danny is on the wall and Hank behind the net, one of them drops the puck on your stick if you go hard to the net. You also die quickly if you don't go hard back to the boards when the puck is chipped there. Nobody wants to let those guys down when they work so hard. They make playing the game easy! It's good for a guy like Kassian's development.

Then he should be, which he is not always, the guy that drives play on the 3rd line. He has to learn from playing with them, and be the first that determines when its time to go to the net, when to break up ice, when to go hard into a board battle. He seems to watch a lot of these things transpire when Higgins, Santorelli, hell even Welsh and Archibald get hard at it. He does not commit to accomplishing something. Instead, he has to be the guy who's play says "I'm going hard to the net, get me the frickin puck!"

Secondary conversation. We need to give up on thinking Kassian can be the "play making guy" for Kesler. Thats not a response to you, just a CDC misconception. Kass has soft hands and can direct a quick pass. His butt is big enough he can hold someone off the puck in the cycle. But he's not a puck hound who dangles, directs traffic and dishes. He has a career 11 NHL assists for farks sakes! I'd rather see him on the boards or in front of the net. Maybe, when Schroeder is back, him Schroeder and Kesler as a line is a good compromise or solution to all?

Kassian is like a handful of other Canucks that would benefit if we had another guy, cuz everyone cannot play with Hank, who can control and distribute the puck!

I feel like I see flashes of every single thing a brilliant, dominate, power forward does, but he rarely puts it all together in a single game, and never does it consistently. To me, the skill set is there, he just needs to learn to put it all together on a consistent bases. PWF historically take quite a bit of time to put it all together, so we'll see how he develops in the next two years. It's too early to call him a bust/disappointment.

If believing that Kassian is a third/fourth liner who has no business playing first line minutes ahead of any other forward, then sure, I'm a hater. No problem being called that either bunnies.

I don't particularly care where Kassian plays, I'd suggest Utica would be the best fit this year but I sense there is more to come from this kid, but why would you have a problem with him playing first line minutes? Do you have a problem when Hansen gets to play with the Sedins? Really, it's not like he's in danger of taking that role full time. If he started scoring then it's a win/win. You say "ahead" of other players, you mean like seniority?

Everyone, including Kassian, has these dreams of him being a 29 year old Bertuzzi scoring 40-50 goals.

People have to start entertaining the thought of him being a 15-25 goal scorer, who can step up every now and then and be an enforcer. A slightly more skilled Chris Neil perhaps.

With that being said, he definitely needs to improve his hockey IQ.

I feel like I see flashes of every single thing a brilliant, dominate, power forward does, but he rarely puts it all together in a single game, and never does it consistently. To me, the skill set is there, he just needs to learn to put it all together on a consistent bases. PWF historically take quite a bit of time to put it all together, so we'll see how he develops in the next two years. It's too early to call him a bust/disappointment.

Can't put it all together..sounds like my golf game. Possibly he's too close to the ball, in his stance; & he needs to straighten out his left elbow.

I don't particularly care where Kassian plays, I'd suggest Utica would be the best fit this year but I sense there is more to come from this kid, but why would you have a problem with him playing first line minutes? Do you have a problem when Hansen gets to play with the Sedins? Really, it's not like he's in danger of taking that role full time. If he started scoring then it's a win/win. You say "ahead" of other players, you mean like seniority?

He's not ready for the first line and probably never will be. Hanson can retrieve pucks something the twins need as with Alex, zack has 0 ability to hustle and retrieve pucks for the twins. Not to mention the defensive side of his game, we could be in serious trouble with matchups if we add a passenger to the twins line that has no idea what a back check is or what man he should cover.

I personally would like to see a certain number of shifts each game with the Twins. Not a free role, just a few chances to get his confidence and purpose up. Maybe every shift after Burrows kills a penalty?

The Twins control the puck and constantly move and rotate, which leaves whomever they play with obvious openings to hustle to themselves. It gives a young player both purpose and teaches them how to play. Miraculously, when Danny is on the wall and Hank behind the net, one of them drops the puck on your stick if you go hard to the net. You also die quickly if you don't go hard back to the boards when the puck is chipped there. Nobody wants to let those guys down when they work so hard. They make playing the game easy! It's good for a guy like Kassian's development.

Then he should be, which he is not always, the guy that drives play on the 3rd line. He has to learn from playing with them, and be the first that determines when its time to go to the net, when to break up ice, when to go hard into a board battle. He seems to watch a lot of these things transpire when Higgins, Santorelli, hell even Welsh and Archibald get hard at it. He does not commit to accomplishing something. Instead, he has to be the guy who's play says "I'm going hard to the net, get me the frickin puck!"

Secondary conversation. We need to give up on thinking Kassian can be the "play making guy" for Kesler. Thats not a response to you, just a CDC misconception. Kass has soft hands and can direct a quick pass. His butt is big enough he can hold someone off the puck in the cycle. But he's not a puck hound who dangles, directs traffic and dishes. He has a career 11 NHL assists for farks sakes! I'd rather see him on the boards or in front of the net. Maybe, when Schroeder is back, him Schroeder and Kesler as a line is a good compromise or solution to all?

Kassian is like a handful of other Canucks that would benefit if we had another guy, cuz everyone cannot play with Hank, who can control and distribute the puck!

I agree with you on both counts.

I liked that AV gave Kassian a stint with the Sedins to start last season. It had the effect you were looking for - it raised his confidence, gave him a taste of playing a key role, and is very good for his iozone play without the puck as the Sedins will school their linemeates in that sense. It also gets them used to each other - something that could be handy in particular matchups if a team decides to try to take liberties with the Sedins - having Kassian on the ice could deter that considerably.

But it's also not realistic, as you point out, to expect him to own that role. Burrows is simply an extremely rounded and well developed hockey player who complements the Sedins in so many ways - and he earned that role with years and years of hard work.

I also agree with you that playing the wing with Kesler (and most likely Booth at LW) isn't ideal either - Kassian does pass the puck exceptionally well for such a big young forward imo, but as you point out, the rest of what makes a forward a playmaker doesn't really define the type of player Kassian is. If it were a Schroeder centered 2nd line with Kesler at wing it might be more viable, but there you have a pair of right handed centers playing with a natural RW - probably not the greatest fit.

So, playing on the third line with guys like Booth or Higgins, Santorelli or Richardson - there is absolutely no shame in that, and no 'waste' of an asset taking place (nor is their any shame playing a 4th line role on a good team). It's almost as though some folks perceive a third line role to be an embarrassment or afterthought - It's not only a respectable place to develop his game, but can make a vital difference to a team, and the third line often defines the difference between teams that can contend and those that can't. Playing 13 to 15 minutes a game with good linemates - nothing wrong with that.

People should look to Kadri as an example. Everybody was writing that guy off a couple of years ago, but all he needed was a tough coach i.e. motivator. Natural talent can only take you so far- you need hard work as well to reach your full potential. And given some time and a close eye of the coaching staff Kadri has come a long way.

People need to think of Kassian the same way. He has improved and will keep improving under Torts. It takes time to become a successfull professional athlete for some people.

He is trying to find his own identity on the Ice you can see it and you hear it in the interviews. He likes to play on the edge (seems to get him in some trouble) he likes to fight, and he really in his own words is a play making forward (gets him in trouble with the coach) this gets him in trouble because he ends up making some really really nice passes to the other team... Maybe the kid just needs some glasses kinda like that movie Major league where ricky vaughn gets his glasses and starts throwing strikes.

Also to anyone saying he needs to be more like lucic 90% of the hits that guy throws would be a suspension if Kassian was the one making the hit.

I still want to see a line of Booth Kesler Kassian both players he showed some good chemistry with last season in the few games he played with either one. He played harder and tougher while playing with booth , and he made some real nice passes to Kesler when playing with him.

He's not ready for the first line and probably never will be. Hanson can retrieve pucks something the twins need as with Alex, zack has 0 ability to hustle and retrieve pucks for the twins. Not to mention the defensive side of his game, we could be in serious trouble with matchups if we add a passenger to the twins line that has no idea what a back check is or what man he should cover.

You lost me at probably never will be. I don't have any expectations that Kassian will ever blossom, but I'm not going to "probably never" the guy at 23 years old. I've never advocated for him to play with the Sedins, I'm just not adverse if I see it for the occasinal shift to shake things up. Who knows, the Sedins have had stranger linemates work out.

I'm a Kassian fan, but even Steve Bernier is looking good tonight in MTL. Hometown effect, ? possibly. But he's an NHL'er and had some playoff jam. Pyatt is a good hockey player too. All high draftees, its kinda disheartening considering we gave up something valuable for a variable.

I have seen nothing from Kassian to indicate that he will be anything more than a decent 3rd liner if he puts all his assets together.

I don't cant see how anyone expects this guy to be a Todd Bertuzzi like player, ever. He cant skate, doesnt have a great shot, doesnt have great playmaking skills.

Ive heard he's shown 'flashes of brilliance' since becoming a Canuck. Can someone link me these 'flashes' or post a youtube video, cause I havent seen any flashes of brilliance from Kassian.

I have seen nothing from Kassian to indicate that he will be anything more than a decent 3rd liner if he puts all his assets together.

I don't cant see how anyone expects this guy to be a Todd Bertuzzi like player, ever. He cant skate, doesnt have a great shot, doesnt have great playmaking skills.

Ive heard he's shown 'flashes of brilliance' since becoming a Canuck. Can someone link me these 'flashes' or post a youtube video, cause I havent seen any flashes of brilliance from Kassian.

If you're under the impression he can't skate, I'd suggest you check out any of the sources.

The bulk of Canucks games are broadcast on Sportsnet, with the odd game on TSN or HNIC on CBC. You can watch a Canucks game on any of those networks.

Kassian is the gu y in a Canucks jersey who wears the number 9.

If you're under the impression he can't skate, I'd suggest you check out any of the sources.

The bulk of Canucks games are broadcast on Sportsnet, with the odd game on TSN or HNIC on CBC. You can watch a Canucks game on any of those networks.

Kassian is the gu y in a Canucks jersey who wears the number 9.

I've seen plenty of games. He's a brutal skater. To your point, the fact that he doesnt fall down when he steps on the ice and is able to keep his balance, then I guess he can skate. But not very well and he's definetly the worst skater on the Canucks.

I've seen plenty of games. He's a brutal skater. To your point, the fact that he doesnt fall down when he steps on the ice and is able to keep his balance, then I guess he can skate. But not very well and he's definetly the worst skater on the Canucks.

Andrew alberts says hi

And that's the same kind of boring, frustrated, misdirected rant that is a waste of time, and in no lack of abundance on CDC.

I have no problem with how he was used last year by AV, nor am I really concerned about him playing in the bottom six this year - that's where young players like Kassian should sharpen their skates imo - he's not developed enough imo to play with the Sedins - not an upgrade on everything Burrows does.

I think he's done well managing the fairly constant changes to his situational use - for the past two seasons the Canucks have had a considerable amount of absences from the middle forward lines - so it's been inevitable.

I'd have to agree with the complainers criticizing him to be bothered to make excuses - I don't see his play the way they or their sidekicks under the bridge see it - no excuses necessary. Complain all you want. OMG, does no one see how horrible this young guy is, blah, blah, boo hoo.

Weren't there enough Hodgson threads for you to whine and vent in?

I was simply agreeing with an observant Sabres fan.

If there's one thing I'm not interested in seeing, it is a ballbuster approach where Kassian is concerned.

I think he needs a ball buster. A couple of games in the press box, a screaming at during practice. A yelling at in the dressing room. Something has to get his head out of the clouds.

I'm not whining about him. I've been saying for a while now that at this point in time he is a third/fourth liner. There is some weird need on CDC to see him in the top 6, and in my opinion if you want to completely ruin his development then you give him that nice reward without him understanding what he did to earn it.

I like Torts approach. Put him on the fourth line and dangle the third line carrot. When his play gets him there he will know exactly what got him there. Then dangle the second line carrot. See if he has the will to get there. I he keeps playing the way he had though, uninspired, he gets to see the back flow, 3rd to 4th to press box.

I'm not saying he is horrible. He just isn't a first liner. Not because of skill set, anyone can see that he has skill, but that mushy stuff between his ears needs some serious work.

Archived