The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

Hodgson has zero physical presence. Kesler man handled him like he was playing against a junior player earlier this season.

If Hodgson isn't producing points, he's useless. Right now he's not producing anything while playing top line minutes.

People blaming the situation in Buffalo make me laugh. Hodgson Wanted all of these minutes and the only way to get them is to play on a really bad team.

Kass just needs to keep developing and he has the perfect coach in his corner to do it properly.

I gave you a plus 1 for that. You used to be a huge Cody fan, yet you are willing to be objective now. Good for you.

Cody will be a 60 point guy, but his speed and strength will never allow him to be a first line center or anything other than a play maker.

The people who defend Kassian, do so because he is now a Canuck, and has LOADS of potential in all areas of the game. Physically, mentally and otherwise. Hodgson does not have that kind of room to improve. He just isnt built like Kassian. What you see at age 24 physically is what you get. He is fully developed.

Cody is already smart. Therefore he is not going to get noticeably 'wiser' . He is just going to pick is spots better , as in cheating out of the zone up ice, and his defensive zone coverage. He already knows he cannot compete on speed so he uses his brains to do so.

Kassian is just raw skill. He can end up being Raffi Torres. Sure. But he can also become Todd Bertuzzi very easily and in fact i think he will get there. Hopefully he will give up the floating and dumb penalties much sooner than Big Bert did.

Lets stop reliving Hodgsons time here. Lets stop hating Kassian just to prove to our ego's that Gillis made a mistake in trading him and he was 'jacked around' .

Who cares anymore. Lets get behind Zack and just wish him well! :)

HBR I honestly don't know where your getting this low hockey IQ from. Stats are such a deceiving factor, what would that say about burrows numbers who's played first line minutes. If you watch the games you'd see how he handles the puck, you'd see his IQ is actually quite good. He just hasn't been fortunate enough to have the bounces go his way this year on the assist column. The game in Dallas comes to mind. in the second he had the puck along the side of the boards, instead of putting his head down and cycling it deep or throwing it blindly in to a crowd on net. He was patient with it, made a move and then found the open Hamhuis wide open at the point and it lead to a "class A" scoring chance. This was just one opportunity recently where I noticed and said to myself wow what a smart play and theirs been plenty of other times this year we've seen that from him. His line mates right now, aren't quite set up for puck possession, they are set up for crashing and banging and getting in the ugly goal which doesn't exactly lead to a lot of assist opportunity.

Kassian controls the puck quite well and is really smart with it, for the most part he is patient with it and looks for the best opportunity, He actually plays a lot like the twins (not nearly as talented/creative/confident) but their puck control has some similarities. He doesn't run around always looking for a bit hit and finding himself out of position (edler/phaneuf). Does he make a few mistakes? Sure, tell me a players that doesn't.

In all honesty the statements you've been making about him is coming off a little blind. He was drafted in the first round, but it doesn't matter where he was drafted he was drafted based on the impact player scout thought he could become at one point in his career. There is no set date for when he's supposed to be this player. Nuchiskin has made an impact right away in the NHL but does that mean Horvat wont make a bigger one in years to come? Kassian is an offensive player with size and the ability to stick up for his team mates (similar to a bertuzzi playing style). Has he developed as fast as everyone would have liked him too? no, maybe not, but we (including our NHL coach) can see the talent in him and only hope we get to see it on a consistent bases for this team.

I was really harsh on Kass earlier on the year because I was disapointed in his play he has so much potential but was skating around like he had no clue at what he was doing; however in the last few game I have really started to notice him playing better. He seems to be developing a better pace and I am here to admit that I was possibly hopefully wrong. I really liked this kid when we first got him but then became a pretty harsh critic of him. I was wrong. I think if he can be continued to developed at the rate he is that he will be that awesome power forward we want and need him to be.

I woud like to even bring this a step forward Torts refusal to put him on with the twins until has a better grasp on his defensive game is the right move I think it enables him to develop in a proper way without pressure. I do know some people want him on the twins line right away and I do agree he might do better with them then hansen but I am not sure if I want someone who is such a defensive liablilty on our '1st' line. I also dare to say think he is developing good chemistry with booth who is also playing way better then he was earlier in the year. I am happy to say that (so far) I was wrong about both of them. So keep up the good play Kass.

I was really harsh on Kass earlier on the year because I was disapointed in his play he has so much potential but was skating around like he had no clue at what he was doing; however in the last few game I have really started to notice him playing better. He seems to be developing a better pace and I am here to admit that I was possibly hopefully wrong. I really liked this kid when we first got him but then became a pretty harsh critic of him. I was wrong. I think if he can be continued to developed at the rate he is that he will be that awesome power forward we want and need him to be.

I woud like to even bring this a step forward Torts refusal to put him on with the twins until has a better grasp on his defensive game is the right move I think it enables him to develop in a proper way without pressure. I do know some people want him on the twins line right away and I do agree he might do better with them then hansen but I am not sure if I want someone who is such a defensive liablilty on our '1st' line. I also dare to say think he is developing good chemistry with booth who is also playing way better then he was earlier in the year. I am happy to say that (so far) I was wrong about both of them. So keep up the good play Kass.

thats why i'm not one of those raving and drooling of hansen being with the twins. other than him, there's no one else torts can put with the twins, cause hansen is reliable player who's kind of just thrown in burrows' role while he's out. i've always felt hansen's best role is on the third line, as a reliable checking guy, because he does have an edge to him, he's a hard working guy, but he's just in a situation right now that he kinda has to make the best of his time on top, cause with the way higgins, santo and kes are, torts isn't gonna fix what's not broke there

kass shows flashes of being an effective player. i've said this all along, he needs some seasoning, i've said, maybe picking up a scrappy vet who's been around to help really mentor the guy, to help him keep the edginess he has, but can be responsible of his surroundings. kass is a pretty special guy who has to be handled with care if he's gonna be an effective player.

gee, this took all of 3 seconds to find. You haven't really watched Bert over his career now have you?

So apparently that's a snipe? lol

Guess you haven't seen Kassian play. Plus I guess you just look at the stat box and don't actually watch the games if you just look at the +/- column. If you actually watched you'd see his passing skills

thats why i'm not one of those raving and drooling of hansen being with the twins. other than him, there's no one else torts can put with the twins, cause hansen is reliable player who's kind of just thrown in burrows' role while he's out. i've always felt hansen's best role is on the third line, as a reliable checking guy, because he does have an edge to him, he's a hard working guy, but he's just in a situation right now that he kinda has to make the best of his time on top, cause with the way higgins, santo and kes are, torts isn't gonna fix what's not broke there

kass shows flashes of being an effective player. i've said this all along, he needs some seasoning, i've said, maybe picking up a scrappy vet who's been around to help really mentor the guy, to help him keep the edginess he has, but can be responsible of his surroundings. kass is a pretty special guy who has to be handled with care if he's gonna be an effective player.

I never really had a problem with Hansen's play until he was moved to the '1st line' he is a good hard working player who does play with heart but he does not have the skill or speed to be really effective with the twins. The problem is though who else do we have that is not on our '2nd' line to fill that slot till Burrows comes back? Hansen really is the only player we have to fill in till we get Burrs back so thus I am kind of giving him a pass. I do not think we should jeopardise Kass development (as I believe that part of the problem is confidence) by forcing him into that role until he is ready. Perhaps if the canucks are leading by a lot or something then maybe give him a few shifts with the twins- but then again like I mentioned earlier him and booth are developing nice chemeistry as well.

Whatever we do though THAT 2nd line MUST not be broken apart. Kes has finally found his missing winger with Santo and HIggy and they are awesome

Hodgson is going to be what he is...being. A 1-2 line center on a mediocre team, with very little drive or motivation to bring his team to the next level.

Kassian is still up in the air. The man has really really slick hands if you watch how he passes, sheet even when hes skating his head is moving around watching his team.

He is big, tough, has a really nasty mean streak when his team is getting manhandled, can pass on the level of a person named Daniel or Henrik, and genuinely Is loved in the dressing room.

Hodgson was useless to our future goals. And not `liked`. Kassian is just getting started, learning how to be responsible defensively while maintaining offensive zone pressure.

Pretty sure `responsible defensively`isnt in Cody`s vocabulary.

I never really had a problem with Hansen's play until he was moved to the '1st line' he is a good hard working player who does play with heart but he does not have the skill or speed to be really effective with the twins. The problem is though who else do we have that is not on our '2nd' line to fill that slot till Burrows comes back? Hansen really is the only player we have to fill in till we get Burrs back so thus I am kind of giving him a pass. I do not think we should jeopardise Kass development (as I believe that part of the problem is confidence) by forcing him into that role until he is ready. Perhaps if the canucks are leading by a lot or something then maybe give him a few shifts with the twins- but then again like I mentioned earlier him and booth are developing nice chemeistry as well.

Whatever we do though THAT 2nd line MUST not be broken apart. Kes has finally found his missing winger with Santo and HIggy and they are awesome

hansen has the speed and work ethic to definitely keep up with the twins, but that's just not his role. burrows worked so well, because there wasn't much to his game in regards to playing with the twins, just get in position, but the thing with burrows, he's a jack of all trades. the guy can be a top 6, bottom 6, whatever, and be an effective player. hansen's more of an effective checking player. idk, i kinda see him as an upgraded bernier in that role, but with the twins, it's not really working. he's not in position as much as burrows was, and burrows has great vision playing with the twins as much as he has. he went from a 4th line "plug" to one of the most underrated players in the league

i think kass can benefit working with a guy like boothie. booth is a great skater, and has been improving a lot over the past few games, and is a big guy who's strong with the puck, shields it very well. kass can also benefit watching a guy like sestito, who went from being a joke on this forum who a pretty reliable guy once torts gave him a chance

So apparently that's a snipe? lol

Guess you haven't seen Kassian play. Plus I guess you just look at the stat box and don't actually watch the games if you just look at the +/- column. If you actually watched you'd see his passing skills

Before Kassian scored, McGuire said "He is going to become one of the better players in the league." And McGuire knows his stuff. I'm 99% sure it'll happen since McGuire said it.

I don't think it has anything to do with "forcing" Kassian into that role before he's ready. He's shown he's capable of playing there and being effective. Its more about that line not playing that great, Hansen not really doing much & giving Kassian that opportunity to see if he can be the player he has shown glimpses of being in the past, atleast until Burr returns.

Hansen is not a first line player. He is plugging a hole with the Sedins right now, that there are only so many people in the world that really can fill.

Im not talking Pyatt, Carter, Klatt filling. We have seen that movie before. The beginning is terrible, and not a helluva lot of excitement, and the climax....well it leaves much to be desired.

I really would rather that Kassian step up and be the force he is meant to be with the Sedins, but at the same time, Zack is still learning defense, which is becoming Daniel and Henriks bread and butter.

I cant say I am not impressed with hank and dank. Both of them are setting themselves up as complete, COMPLETE players who can be put in any situation and excel, when they have pretty well done what they can for so many years. Just havent been put in

#those situations#

Dunno about you, but if Kass was on the ice when Henrik was getting slapped across the face in the finals, I believe there would be one less rat to worry about for 4 more games.

I gave you a plus 1 for that. You used to be a huge Cody fan, yet you are willing to be objective now. Good for you.

Cody will be a 60 point guy, but his speed and strength will never allow him to be a first line center or anything other than a play maker.

The people who defend Kassian, do so because he is now a Canuck, and has LOADS of potential in all areas of the game. Physically, mentally and otherwise. Hodgson does not have that kind of room to improve. He just isnt built like Kassian. What you see at age 24 physically is what you get. He is fully developed.

Cody is already smart. Therefore he is not going to get noticeably 'wiser' . He is just going to pick is spots better , as in cheating out of the zone up ice, and his defensive zone coverage. He already knows he cannot compete on speed so he uses his brains to do so.

Kassian is just raw skill. He can end up being Raffi Torres. Sure. But he can also become Todd Bertuzzi very easily and in fact i think he will get there. Hopefully he will give up the floating and dumb penalties much sooner than Big Bert did.

Lets stop reliving Hodgsons time here. Lets stop hating Kassian just to prove to our ego's that Gillis made a mistake in trading him and he was 'jacked around' .

Who cares anymore. Lets get behind Zack and just wish him well! :)

Ahh, breath of fresh air..one of the more sensible reads, around these parts of late.

I'll + that Absent. Unfortunately though, until Kassian proves himself, there will be always someone bring up Hodgson. It sucks, as the argument is clearly outdated, but (as Bertuzzi would say) "it is what it is".

Just wait till next year the same guys will be running down Horvat if he doesn't score in his first game. The kid will have a larger target on his back than Kass, being in a trade for a fan favorite in Scneids or how he is nowhere near the talent of the Russian.

I can imagine our third line next year will really help Kassian. I think our third line will be:

Jensen Horvat Kassian.

gives him some offensive minded players to play with.

As tempting as it may be to throw our best young players on the same line, they would get burned so hard by skilled veterans defensively and offensively. We need to integrate and mix in our youth with our veterans, and our skill with our toughness. That's why this lineup for next season works best:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Santorelli - Kesler - Higgins

Burrows - Horvat - Booth

Hansen - Richardson - Jensen

Each young kid has a great mentor on their line (Kassian gets the Sedins, Horvat has Burrows to help defensively, Booth to help offensively and Jensen has fellow Dane Hansen along with a Cup winner who plays great defence).

Archived