The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth: Hold onto him?

Spotted Zebra

Baggins, you are spot on about the Edler NTC. Its a mute point, Gillis has got our entire core to sign below market value. A huge and overlooked advantage for the hockey club, trading a player with a NTC would be bad for the morale of the entire organiztion. Edler has had a bad season but he's still young and i'm sure will bounce back.

A moot point, or a silent point? ;)

It's still a tough call.

He is finally healthy and playing well.

Imagine him centered by a play maker like Schroeder.

A line of Booth Schroeder Kassian would be pretty solid come playoffs.

He had 3 Points in his first 14 games and now has 7 in his last 13.

I guess the question is, can he continue performing like a 7 in 13 player? Because that extrapolated over a 82 game season still only puts him at 44 points. So at a 4.25 cap hit, is that worth 4.25m considering the other intangibles like speed, size, hits?

I would say he is only worth keeping if he shows that he can continue to put up points at 0.5 pts/game pace.

Schroeder has YET to PROVE he can be a regular NHL'r. With all his injuries who knows where he'll even be once he's ready to play. I mean Jensen is still in the AHL. I'm not sold at all on any of those 2 guys yet. Schroeder too small for 3rd line on a PLAYOFF contender. He will get eaten up by the LA's Blues, Bruins,etc.. & Jensen is not a Torts player, he's a softie and just has not shown any level of consistent scoring on the American Ice.

Booth maybe playing better but is not worth 4+ mill per year. I'd take another couple of Higgy's at 2 mill each than 1 Booth anyday.

We do need a Booth like guy but one that is a legit top 6 producer especially for that money.

We are also in need of an Ott for our 3rd line. centre which will give us that added grit toughness depth scorer for the deep playoff run we are going to be on this year if the proper pieces are put in place by Mr. GMMG.

We are close yet those last few pieces are the hardest to find. We do have some guys that can be traded to get those pieces though. Players that we have shown we can still win without. Edler, Burrows, Booth, Jensen, Schroeder, Lu, just some expandable players in my eyes but only if you get back something that will help (improve) our team. (eg. Ladd, E.Kane, Ott, Matthias, Callahan,)

It's all about having the right pieces cause without them you can't solve the puzzle.

None of us have actually seen what Booth can do what he is fully healthy. I've maintained that he's got all the tools to be a really good hockey player if he is healthy.

After putting together a string of games where nothing has been bothering him, I think we can all say that he will only continue to improve.

4M is a risk but we were all thinking the same way with Garrison, weren't we?

Agree'd

So he gets hurt late-season/PO's & you CAN'T amnesty his last contract year?! Man, we've all seen that movie, & it's a dud, chick-flick ;^)...

IF he keeps playing well(well, as well as say, Welly), deal him for a later round; or heck, package the bloke with another prospect for another struggling/middling dude. Someone who's a decent character, depth-grinder with size/health, that can play the body for around 2 mill/hit. There's quite a few of those types, floating around.

We can't let emotional attachments hinder our moves, if we ultimately want to become Starley Champiars!

^^^ Sums up pretty much what I was gonna say. Booth does have the tools, he just has to get on a roll.

I like the development of the Booth - Richardson - Kassian line. Not only can all 3 play a in a grinding/forecheck line, they all compliment each other's styles effectively.

From the past 2 weeks or so I've noticed that we've got some sort of WCE-style line: a small, tenacious center with playmaking ability, a power forward with some hands, and a speedy winger with a good shot. Of course, the similarities end at skill level but I think they will form good chemistry over time.

He's certainly bought himself some time. I give him to the end of the year, unless something worthwhile comes up. Not only is his game improving, but he has an important intangible right now, he makes kassian better. They have good chemistry together and kassian is now starting to come around as well. I'd rather not disturb that.

Before I start, can we agree to keep any extravurrilcular activities he enjoys out of this thread. This is about him as a hockey player.

15 games into this season I was aboard the Buyout David Booth train. He was slow, he didn't seem motivated and he didn't have JT's trust, obviosuly. No brainer buyout at 4 and change right?

But now as we enter the second half of the season I think we should reconsider this.

I am very happy about his dedication to coming back, maybe not at a 30 goal pace, but at a point where he is a good player and can contribute. He has regained at least some of his speed, and while his balance may not be completely there, he looks dangerous at least a couple times a game. And he is working hard on the forecheck and laying the body

He is also one of the few canucks who can just bury their head and drive the net. He hasn't converted, on a few of them but they are glorious chances and refreshing to see from the cycle along the boards.

People forget that in his first year here, he scored 16 goals in just 56 games thats good for a 25 goal pace.

If you rewind to the playoff series against LA, true he didn't score, but neither did a bunch of the Canucks (there was this guy named Quick...). However, he was an absolute horse, hitting everything he could and it was fun to watch.

Obviously if he regresses or gets injured again, then the tune will change, but if he can keep up this level of play, with the cap going up to 71. If we can integrate lower salary young players like Horvat and Corrado, and maybe move Edler, I think it'd be in our best interest to keep the guy.

Inflation. Cap goes up salary for potential signings go up. David only has a year left after this one, if it doesn't work out then you can let him go

No way at that cap hit...unless of course he goes on a tear, and kicks but the rest of the season and playoffs! Btw he's not on that tear right now; he's just playing decent. 4.2 mil is a lot of cap space for a guy who just plays ok, and previously was either injured or played horrible

NTC doesn't mean as much as assumed. If Gillis decides to move Edler it will be an option of taking the trade or seeing his minutes drop or even being sat out. I am not saying that he is that bad but it certainly gets a players attention. Find it hard to believe that a player would not take a trade to a club that wanted him from a club that did not. A player has to worry about his career and always about his next contract.

If Gillis wanted to move Edler there would be a frank conversation about what the club wanted long term and why he did not fit. Who wants to stay after that.

I am still hoping that Torts can turn his game around. I am not sure if Edler can be the physical player I hoped he could be. Always wondered about his back.

Sundin refused to waive his ntc as did Kaberle. Two that were quite public. We'll never know who or how many are asked and decline in a less public way.

You are right that they could reduce his role or sit him in an effort to convince him to waive his ntc but is that a good course of action for the image of the teams management? And what does that do to his trade value? The easy going Swede may not even care if his role is reduced. But to say an ntc is meaningless is naive at best as it does give the player quite a bit of control.

Kinda annoys me when people say he isn't playing like a 4.5 million player.

If every player was consistent,free of injuries,free of lack of confidence then parity from wages would be ok but this is the highest echelon of team sports. people get injured, people go through bad spells, people go through good spells. Florida offered him that money when he was in a good spell. Would you not of taken that money?

I see a poster says he's only got 2g 2a in the last ten games. You think Torts is really that worried about that? He's just worried about the W column.

I have always said that when Booth plays like a power forward and drives the net, the other Canucks better be joining him as he creates great opportunities when he does this, lots of garbage goals come from that. I don't know many other Canucks that actually drive the net like he does. He has a decent enough shot, but he is strong enough to take it to the net, this is where he can contribute. Kassian needs to learn from this, it is similar to Big Berts style of play, one arming the dman and using the other to guide the puck to the net. Much much different than cycling

If he is productive on that third, and if Torts puts Schroeder between him and Kassian or even if he just keeps Richardson there, and that line make us that more dangerous to play against, I'd say keep him. He just needs to train with the Sedins in the offseason so he doesn't come in like he has for how many seasons and started out the way he has. That is all.

yeah guys, the years and years of inconsistent stats and injury issues were a total fluke

these last two weeks are the real David Booth

LOL!

He'll get injured again, guys.

That said, Jensen ain't ready, and free agent prices are going to be insane - both dollars and term. I wouldn't be completely surprised if he was kept.

I think you re-asess Booth at seasons end. Decide who your targets are at FA, and make the adjustments needed to create the roster and cap flexabillity that you need. He is playing respectable hockey, and is showing that he can be hard on the forecheck, drive the net with speed and power, and chip in offensively.

He must be more consistent and healthy if the team is to keep him. We still have 46 regular season games, and hopefully some playoffs to go. Thats plenty of time for management to figure out what Booths future outcome will be.

Archived