The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth: Hold onto him?

Spotted Zebra

I think it depends on whether or not another team would trade for him. "If" GMMG can get anything for him I say take it. Then use that money to go after a much better FA. And if that doesn't work, inject youth into the lineup and keep the cap space for later.

Booth may be starting to come around, but he is still a long ways away from playing up to his salary, and I for one am still tired of playing the waiting game with him when what we truly need is a game changer. With Booth, we don't have that and his cap hit is wasted.

Too early to say. He is still improving from many injuries. The next 2 months will tell the tale as far as his future here. If Gillis thinks some of our prospects can step up next year and bring close to (Or more) than Booth at a fraction of the cost, then Booth may get moved at the deadline.

Until then, it makes no sense to move him unless Gillis can trade him for an NHL-ready player with a better skill-set. Not likely that happens.

It's still a tough call.

He is finally healthy and playing well.

Imagine him centered by a play maker like Schroeder.

A line of Booth Schroeder Kassian would be pretty solid come playoffs.

He had 3 Points in his first 14 games and now has 7 in his last 13.

I guess the question is, can he continue performing like a 7 in 13 player? Because that extrapolated over a 82 game season still only puts him at 44 points. So at a 4.25 cap hit, is that worth 4.25m considering the other intangibles like speed, size, hits?

I would say he is only worth keeping if he shows that he can continue to put up points at 0.5 pts/game pace.

I think it all depends on what our options are in the Summer. If we can upgrade our two most pressing needs, more scoring depth and a powerplay quarteback puck moving defencemen then I think we should buy out Booth. He simply isn't worth his cap hit as a grinder. He's not an essential part of the team at this point, but could prove to be some scoring depth(which in the past 5 games he has). If we don't have many options and the good UFA's are signing for huge coin, then we hold on to him. He might be a nice piece to trade at the deadline in his last year before UFA status.

I think it depends on whether or not another team would trade for him. "If" GMMG can get anything for him I say take it. Then use that money to go after a much better FA. And if that doesn't work, inject youth into the lineup and keep the cap space for later.

Booth may be starting to come around, but he is still a long ways away from playing up to his salary, and I for one am still tired of playing the waiting game with him when what we truly need is a game changer. With Booth, we don't have that and his cap hit is wasted.

Who is the much better free agent you are referring to?

Baggins, you are spot on about the Edler NTC. Its a mute point, Gillis has got our entire core to sign below market value. A huge and overlooked advantage for the hockey club, trading a player with a NTC would be bad for the morale of the entire organiztion. Edler has had a bad season but he's still young and i'm sure will bounce back.

Who is the much better free agent you are referring to?

I think the inference is to TRADE him if you can. Let's be honest he hasn't done any thing for the last 2 years....so you ain't going to get much for him. This might be nothing more than the Christmas Spirit grabbing Booth...maybe he believed that Santa only brings presents to "good" little boys. If however he continues to play hard I'd think Aqualinni would prefer not to waste more money with yet another buy out

Before I start, can we agree to keep any extravurrilcular activities he enjoys out of this thread. This is about him as a hockey player.

15 games into this season I was aboard the Buyout David Booth train. He was slow, he didn't seem motivated and he didn't have JT's trust, obviosuly. No brainer buyout at 4 and change right?

But now as we enter the second half of the season I think we should reconsider this.

I am very happy about his dedication to coming back, maybe not at a 30 goal pace, but at a point where he is a good player and can contribute. He has regained at least some of his speed, and while his balance may not be completely there, he looks dangerous at least a couple times a game. And he is working hard on the forecheck and laying the body

He is also one of the few canucks who can just bury their head and drive the net. He hasn't converted, on a few of them but they are glorious chances and refreshing to see from the cycle along the boards.

People forget that in his first year here, he scored 16 goals in just 56 games thats good for a 25 goal pace.

If you rewind to the playoff series against LA, true he didn't score, but neither did a bunch of the Canucks (there was this guy named Quick...). However, he was an absolute horse, hitting everything he could and it was fun to watch.

Obviously if he regresses or gets injured again, then the tune will change, but if he can keep up this level of play, with the cap going up to 71. If we can integrate lower salary young players like Horvat and Corrado, and maybe move Edler, I think it'd be in our best interest to keep the guy.

Inflation. Cap goes up salary for potential signings go up. David only has a year left after this one, if it doesn't work out then you can let him go

He's coming nicely around. He's a keeper. The Canucks are a world class organization that takes care of its own rather impeccably. Booth himself has seeked help and it is paying direct dividend.

NTC doesn't mean as much as assumed. If Gillis decides to move Edler it will be an option of taking the trade or seeing his minutes drop or even being sat out. I am not saying that he is that bad but it certainly gets a players attention. Find it hard to believe that a player would not take a trade to a club that wanted him from a club that did not. A player has to worry about his career and always about his next contract.

If Gillis wanted to move Edler there would be a frank conversation about what the club wanted long term and why he did not fit. Who wants to stay after that.

I am still hoping that Torts can turn his game around. I am not sure if Edler can be the physical player I hoped he could be. Always wondered about his back.

NTC doesn't mean as much as assumed. If Gillis decides to move Edler it will be an option of taking the trade or seeing his minutes drop or even being sat out. I am not saying that he is that bad but it certainly gets a players attention. Find it hard to believe that a player would not take a trade to a club that wanted him from a club that did not. A player has to worry about his career and always about his next contract.

If Gillis wanted to move Edler there would be a frank conversation about what the club wanted long term and why he did not fit. Who wants to stay after that.

I am still hoping that Torts can turn his game around. I am not sure if Edler can be the physical player I hoped he could be. Always wondered about his back.

If you reduce the ice time of guys with NTC, two things happen, they will grieve it if you were asked to be traded said no and had your ice time cut in half the second thing that would happen is no one would sign with your team who treats the guys with NTC like garbage.

As a GM it is suicide and would not happen. Now, if they were brutal, you could send them down (see Redden) but Edler hs so much uupside. Think about Ohlund.

His play has improved. He's still not worth the cap hit. Oshie and Pavelski are two guys who are earning similar money and their production is so much higher. We'll be looking to re-sign Kassian for 1 to 1.5 million in the summer, and he could be a better point producer this year, and probably will be next year.

So yeah, if he was making 2 to 2.5 million, I could justify keeping him, but not at current rates.

Archived