The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts Suspended 6 Games

Strombone1

He never was suspended when he coached in NY.

He actually was suspended one game in 2009 for squirting a water bottle at a fan and then throwing it and hitting a woman in the head.

That proves right there that there's different discipline for different teams. Assaulting a fan gets you one game as a New York coach, and yelling at another coach gets you 6 games as a Canuck coach...Hmmm...

He actually was suspended one game in 2009 for squirting a water bottle at a fan and then throwing it and hitting a woman in the head.

That proves right there that there's different discipline for different teams. Assaulting a fan gets you one game as a New York coach, and yelling at another coach gets you 6 games as a Canuck coach...Hmmm...

he didn't get suspended for yelling at the coach, he got suspended for trying to get at the other coach in the other team's dressing room. People need to stop making out like every other coach in the league wouldn;t have received the same punishment. Anyone who has ever played a lick of hockey knows that is a major no no

As long as Bettman is in charge, this league will suffer the effects of his arrogance and American bias.

he didn't get suspended for yelling at the coach, he got suspended for trying to get at the other coach in the other team's dressing room. People need to stop making out like every other coach in the league wouldn;t have received the same punishment. Anyone who has ever played a lick of hockey knows that is a major no no

And at the end of it all he never assaulted anyone, he simply shouted at the other coach.

Do you think that's worse than assaulting a fan? If so, I'd love to hear your reasoning.

Playing hockey has nothing to do with it, it's common sense. But comparatively going into another teams area should not be the same punishment as assaulting fans, that's the bottom line.

I agree with him facing a suspension because they way he acted was wrong, but then again 6 games to call out a coach?

Did he physical make contact or cause injury? No. Did he cross the line? Yes.

The same suspension could be handed to Calgarys coach/whoever with the glasses who came back, and actually was willing to cause harm.

And at the end of it all he never assaulted anyone, he simply shouted at the other coach.

Do you think that's worse than assaulting a fan? If so, I'd love to hear your reasoning.

Playing hockey has nothing to do with it, it's common sense. But comparatively going into another teams area should not be the same punishment as assaulting fans, that's the bottom line.

He should have got more for assaulting the fan. Back then he didn't for whatever reason. if he got 10 back then and 6 now it would be better?

I agree with him facing a suspension because they way he acted was wrong, but then again 6 games to call out a coach?

Did he physical make contact or cause injury? No. Did he cross the line? Yes.

The same suspension could be handed to Calgarys coach/whoever with the glasses who came back, and actually was willing to cause harm.

You're making it out like the dressing rooms are side by side, or a couple doors down. It is a major issue at ever level of hockey. I was coaching Midget AAA a few years back and we played the Burnaby Winter club at a year end tournament.....they went goon show on us and after the game the coach, manager and 6 players came charging down the halllway sticks in hand. I put myself between the and my kids and I received a 30 day suspension starting the next year.......the other coach and manager received a full year. Anything in the dressing room, tunnels etc will always, always receive major punishment.

The suspension has absolutely nothing to do with the on ice brawl other than JT's inability to control his hatred for Hartley. As for the Flames staff, why would thy be punished for it? It was their dressing room, had they gone down to the Canucks room, they'd be gone for 15 days.

I had a very real feeling that it was going to be between a 10-12 game suspension for Torts. I'm betting that it originally was planned to be that way by Shanny and co. before Torts and Gillis gave them an earful. WHY was there an enormous pause between when the meeting wrapped up and when final decision was announced. There was about a six hour gap there, with no reasons provided. I think Torts gave them something to chew on, and premeditated decisions (which were probably already shared with some) needed to change, requiring more time to sort out and properly communicate.

I'm hopeful Shanny got a wake-up call about what really happened in that game, what really happened to the Canucks all week, and what has been going on all season. I would have loved to be a fly in the room, and am hopeful NHL HQ has a better picture of the reality from the perspective of a team that begins to play most games at their bedtime.

I had a very real feeling that it was going to be between a 10-12 game suspension for Torts. I'm betting that it originally was planned to be that way by Shanny and co. before Torts and Gillis gave them an earful. WHY was there an enormous pause between when the meeting wrapped up and when final decision was announced. There was about a six hour gap there, with no reasons provided. I think Torts gave them something to chew on, and premeditated decisions (which were probably already shared with some) needed to change, requiring more time to sort out and properly communicate.

I'm hopeful Shanny got a wake-up call about what really happened in that game, what really happened to the Canucks all week, and what has been going on all season. I would have loved to be a fly in the room, and am hopeful NHL HQ has a better picture of the reality from the perspective of a team that begins to play most games at their bedtime.

yeah, that's probably it

Archived