The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You know you're an old school Canuck fan when

selkirkcraig

First row seats at the Pacific Coliseum to watch the Canucks take on the New England Whalers in Gordie Howe's last season at age 50 or 51 along with son Mark. The goaltender for the Whalers that night? John Garrett. Curt Fraser and Gordie collided on the boards almost in front of me in the 2nd period. Their sticks met and the puck flipped over the glass. I snagged it with my elbow pressing against the right armrest. Still have the puck somewhere.

First row seats at the Pacific Coliseum to watch the Canucks take on the New England Whalers in Gordie Howe's last season at age 50 or 51 along with son Mark. The goaltender for the Whalers that night? John Garrett. Curt Fraser and Gordie collided on the boards almost in front of me in the 2nd period. Their sticks met and the puck flipped over the glass. I snagged it with my elbow pressing against the right armrest. Still have the puck somewhere.

long time vancouver resident? How was the crowd back in the coliseum?

your Dad took you to see Gordie Howe's last trip to the Coliseum with the Whalers

High-Five-GIF-2.gif#high%20five%20gif%20

long time vancouver resident? How was the crowd back in the coliseum?

It was different, but it was a different time as well, like when Gretzky and the Oilers came to town it would always sell out, and people in the Coliseum would be cheering for both teams, just a different time really. I think it was louder in there on average.

Garth Rizzuto & Eddie Hatoum from that first year. Also, Ray Cullen, Dunc Wilson, Charlie Hodge, George Gardner, Gary Doak, Pat Quinn, Rosaire Paiement and a few others.

Juliette singing O Canada at the first game.

Paiement fighting Bobby Orr and giving him a black eye.

Hexing Bobby Baun for taking out Kurtenbach's knee.

Babe Pratt giving the third star to the 3 streakers.

Finding out Ab DeMarco made more than the Prime Minister.

Studying the Zander Hollander hockey paperback book and finding out that Art Rutland was born in Wawa, Ontario and that he was drafted one spot ahead of Glenn Anderson.

Buying Hockey Illustrated magazine and finding out that Stan Fischler was known as the hockey maven. Hockey Digest too.

This I can't remember - was Face-Off (1971) the hockey movie about a Maple Leaf rookie starring Art Hindle and Trudy Young ever shown in the intermissions on HNIC?

when you proudly rocked the flying V and had shoppers drup mart calendars on your wall...

when you remember Smyl hitting the post.....

when you used to be allowed to bring a megaphone into the Pacific Colleseum to boo Chelios from the stands.

when you agreed bringing in Jimmy Carson a former 50 goal scorer would certainly change the Canucks fortunes...

when you wondered how come Bogdan Savenko never made the team when we traded Diduck for him...

the list goes on....

• 10 months later...
13 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

when you were glad to get kurtenback, back..ala rolf harris. never seeing him get beat in a fight.

... and Schmautz (all 5'9" and 155 lbs of him), and Rosie, and... geez, the Canucks had a pretty tough group of guys back then.

regards,  G.

Archived