The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun Speculation] Canucks Ready for Re-tool

Blueberries

Tons of teams have struggled this season for long periods, but only a hanful of meh trades have happened.

I think we should wait for Henrik and Torts to bail us out, because otherwise we're trading at a point of weakness.

Besides, it's not like we're going to get immediate help.

The worst portion of this report is that the Sedins aren't available. They are the most disappointing players on the team. They have loads of talent and vision, but zero guts or grit. The fact that they are the leaders on this team is an abysmal fact. They are so easy to push off the puck it's embarrassing.

Much like the pathetic defense Gillis has tried to sell as league leading. There is not one player in the top four that's a difference maker. Hamhuis is the best of the bunch but still makes blind passes and neutral zone errors that should have kept him off the Olympic roster.

Bieksa? He's a local celebrity and a tough guy but a chronically inept turnover machine.

Edler has flashes of brillance but has zero vision relying on others to lead him.

Garrison? Outside of his super cool shot, he's useless. Weak on the puck and horrible in his own end.

Tanev, Stanton, and Corrado are very good but could use a true mentor.

The forward lines have Gillis' inept fingerprints all over them.

The only players that should be kept are: Luongo, Kesler, Santorelli, Lack, Burrows, Kassian, Tanev, Stanton, Lain, and Richardson. These are players that actually care and demonstrate any kind of urgency.

To keep the Sedins and have them groom and mentor the new wave of players is the worst possible idea. They will never bring a Stanley Cup here. They lack the physical ability to compete, which has been proven in the last three seasons. Gillis' idea to "retool" around then truly displays his irrelevance and signals the return of the Dark Ages to Canucks hockey.

I do agree with a lot of your points but:

-Higgins should be added to your list. The guys is relentless and is one of the hardest workers. Very cap friendly.

-Kesler needs to go but only in a package if an elite young prospect is coming back. IMO his skills are diminishing and his ego can sometimes be bigger than the team.

-I agree the Sedins are not leaders and they struggle vs top dmen. If there was any chance of a trade and getting elite prospects back than MG should do it but they are very skilled players and are valuable to the Canucks. Ideally the'd be the best 2nd line in the league dominating others team secondary defense. Unfortunately they are not very cap friendly anymore.

-Lu is gone. He's going to demand a trade and Florida will likely be the destination with the new owner saying the Panthers will be a cap team and their need for a goaltender. Canucks will probably get a mid prospect back.

the other thing to remember is that we will all be dissapointed with the return that gillis gets in any trade he makes because he fundamentally lacks the ability to get good value.

I disagree. Aside from the Ballard trade, I liked most of MG's trades. Kassian is getting better and better and will be the better player, Ehrhoff, Higgins, Lappy, Pahlsson and Roy were considered decent at the time. No he hasn't trade raped anyone but that doesn't happen too often. His college and UFA signing have been good as well.

That would be ideal.

5th overall pick(Schenn), Simmonds(Top-6 replacement for Burrows)

Drouin, Purcell and a 3rd.

Where do I sign? Another thing I would look at on how to value Edler is who Jack Johnson got, and that would be Jeff Carter. I would hate to do it but Edler+Burrows should easily get a 2nd line center or a top line RW.

Sedin - Sedin - _____

Drouin - _____ - Purcell

Higgins - Horvat - Kassian

Archibald/Sestito - Richardson - Hansen

I think its like this. Main pieces available: Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Edler, Luongo. Players not available: all prospects including Kassian and Schroeder. Our D core minus Edler. and Lack. Basically all this shows is that van sees the need to completely remake the 2nd and 3rd line with young energy players while relying on the sedins for the main offense. Nothing new there anyways. I honestly expect with Edler and Kesler on he block we will get top 10 pick in this daft plus our pick and prbably another one. Basically the value of both will be a top Prospect (the mantha's or Jenners) a 1st round pick and either another lower prospect (the Howden type players) o a 2nd round pick. so maybe something like this.

our 3 big trades.

Edler to Det:

Edler For Mantha, 1st round pick, cap dump, 2nd round pick

Kesler to Columbus:

Kesler for Jenner, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick

Luongo to Florida

Luongo for 1st round pick, Howden, one of he Goalies

Maybe put package together to get etem from Ana since they ill b looking to fix little issues they have.

With all those raft picks we could probably move into the top 5 in the draft through trade. some good players.

If we do those trades only then we are still left with an ok line up to finish up the year.

To finish up the year:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Etem Jenner Kassian

Higgins Schroeder Dalpe

Sestito Richardson Howden

next year

Sedin Sedin Mantha

Jensen Jenner Kassian

Shinkauk Horvat Etem

Sestio Richardson Howden

idk just my thoughts

Tim Thomas? :bigblush:

I do agree with a lot of your points but:

-Higgins should be added to your list. The guys is relentless and is one of the hardest workers. Very cap friendly.

-Kesler needs to go but only in a package if an elite young prospect is coming back. IMO his skills are diminishing and his ego can sometimes be bigger than the team.

-I agree the Sedins are not leaders and they struggle vs top dmen. If there was any chance of a trade and getting elite prospects back than MG should do it but they are very skilled players and are valuable to the Canucks. Ideally the'd be the best 2nd line in the league dominating others team secondary defense. Unfortunately they are not very cap friendly anymore.

-Lu is gone. He's going to demand a trade and Florida will likely be the destination with the new owner saying the Panthers will be a cap team and their need for a goaltender. Canucks will probably get a mid prospect back.

Getting nothing but prospects back is useless. This team needs a true leader. Not Henrik or Kesler.

This team needs NHL players that are proven. Not a bunch of maybes.

I agree with Higgins expect for his streakiness. But he's still the best on this team right now.

Luongo is laying roots down here now. His family has finally moved here after seven seasons. I don't think he's going.

I hope Gillis actually has the balls (highly doubt it) to make a blockbuster trade. One that brings in a real defensive anchor and a prospective captain. One that brings in Shea Weber.

A player like him is willing to put the team on their back. No defenseman on the team presently is capable of that. Not even remotely. Hamhuis is the closest. His newfound push back is a sight for sore eyes.

I disagree. Aside from the Ballard trade, I liked most of MG's trades. Kassian is getting better and better and will be the better player, Ehrhoff, Higgins, Lappy, Pahlsson and Roy were considered decent at the time. No he hasn't trade raped anyone but that doesn't happen too often. His college and UFA signing have been good as well.

He had a fantastic run of Ehrhoff, Higgy and Lappy. Since then his trades have ranged from "decent value but in retrospect a waste of a pick - Roy" to "complete disaster - Ballard." And he did not get decent value for Hodgson, plus he traded him at the exact wrong time.

He's pretty great at signing playes, and pretty good at re-signing players (although we're now in NTC hell), and he's great at cap circumvention, but I don't trust his trades at all.

Getting nothing but prospects back is useless. This team needs a true leader. Not Henrik or Kesler.

This team needs NHL players that are proven. Not a bunch of maybes

It depends on where the team wants to be in the short term. It's unlikely that the Canucks have the pieces to acquire an established "true leader" who can carry the team offensively (or defensively). I'm not sure that the Canucks even have the prospect pool to acquire a guy like that. The only guy I can see netting a proven leader and consistent contributor is Horvat and maybe Shinkaruk or Gaunce and it seems like management is putting its foot down about not trading these guys.

The Canucks do have guys that may be able to bring blue chip prospects (guys who are very likely to succeed) however and I think that's what some people are getting at. Guys like Kesler, Hamhuis and Edler may draw a lot of interest (but for their no trades). For teams that have blue chippers but who are in a position to contend now (and on the the up trend), having one of those guys might put them over the top.

I'm not sure if Luongo will be dealt now seeing as the window was biggest when Schneider was on the upswing. If Luongo is dealt, I think we can officially call it a rebuild. Lu has played well this season and although his last few games haven't been hot, the whole team is struggling. He's a workhorse goalie that still gives his team a chance to win every night and if he is dealt (and without a top flight goalie coming back), it will be clear that the team is changing directions. If it happens, we better hope Eddie Lack can be a solid #1 goaltender (and would want to stay if the Canucks struggle) or that Joacim Eriksson can translate his AHL success to the NHL (he has really battled back after the Comets' terrible start).

If the Canucks are really re-tooling or rebuilding, it will be interesting to see how much space they clear for their top prospects and how they bring them up. I don't see too much happening this season, more so in the offseason.

Luongo will probably be dealt but can't happen till the final game of this season.

Full NTC (Exception 1: Player can supply five-team trade list following final game of 2013-14, valid through July 15, 2014; Exception 2: If player does not submit trade list as documented in Exception 1, team can request a five-team trade list following final game of 2017-18 season, valid through Sept. 1, 2018. If player submitted a trade list in 2014 and was not moved, team loses right to request trade list in 2018.)

I agree. Everybody who wants MG gone have no idea who should be brought in. If you look at MG's bio and his moves to improve the team, in my mind, he is exactly the GM we need. Everybody forgets about the Malhotra signing too. Manny would have ended his career here if it wasn't for that damn eye injury. MG has managed to keep the team competitive over the last few years.

maybe to you (and undoubtedly to gillis), but not to the rest of the league.

That's a rebuild move. 2nd rounds could be a good player but usually doesn't play that many NHL games. Hansen is worth more to this team than a 2nd. Plus Hansen is one of the best 3rd liners in the game.

That's a rebuild move. 2nd rounds could be a good player but usually doesn't play that many NHL games. Hansen is worth more to this team than a 2nd. Plus Hansen is one of the best 3rd liners in the game.

he was. its yet to be seen whether he can get back to that.

and i've been a vocal hansen supporter since his first call-up.

Archived