The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs Latvia, quarterfinals

goalie13

against this "competition" it should have been shutouts for every game, like Lou in the one game he got.

funny no one was calling to put brodeur back in net when luongo let in 2 bad goals vs germany in the knock out round in vancouver and than again he let in another terrible 2 goals vs slovakia in the knock out round as well.. both of those games Lu had a sub .900 save % and never lost the net..... price lets in 1 and people want him out ?

funny no one was calling to put brodeur back in net when luongo let in 2 bad goals vs germany in the knock out round in vancouver and than again he let in another terrible 2 goals vs slovakia in the knock out round as well.. both of those games Lu had a sub .900 save % and never lost the net..... price lets in 1 and people want him out ?

"Bad", "Terrible". I don't recall the goals but those sound like gross exaggerations.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I was looking forward to the Olympics, figured I wouldn't have to listen to all the whining that normally goes on around here with Canucks games. Man, was I wrong...

CDC is still CDC.

Guess I am the minority here as I am a Canuck fan first and a TC fan 2nd. Winning the gold medal in 2010 was fun dont get me wrong but if the Canucks, sorry when the Canucks win I wont be able to speak for a week because I will have lost my voice and be nursing the worlds worst hangover. A gold medal for arguably hockey's greatest power just cant compare to the first ever SC title for a franchise thats been around for over 40years. So hell yea I am choked when TC slaps Lu in the face and plants him to the bench in favour of a goalie who they have zero evidence that he's the better option. Then again Lu could be playing for the Leafs of all teams right now and I'd still feel the same way just not be as passionate about it.

You have a problem with a .933 sv%? The type of percentage that would put you into the top 2 in the NHL?

Shh, every goalie that plays for Canada has to be perfect, no exceptions, especially since Luongo got a shutout in one start. One start is an enormous and adequate sample size to use as a standard setter.

Shh, every goalie that plays for Canada has to be perfect, no exceptions, especially since Luongo got a shutout in one start. One start is an enormous and adequate sample size to use as a standard setter.

But, that's the exact opposite argument Luongo fans were using last year when Schneids outplayed him badly.

What baffles me is if Luongo lets in 1 goal three games in a row CDC is singing his praises. Price does the exact same and people are screaming for him to be replaced.

I think the reason people want Lu instead of Price is cause we're Canuck fans so obviously there will be some bias, but also because in his game he got a shutout and team was playing better in front of him than they did in front of Price.

Both goalies have played well but if the team plays better in front of one then you start that one

I think the reason people want Lu instead of Price is cause we're Canuck fans so obviously there will be some bias, but also because in his game he got a shutout and team was playing better in front of him than they did in front of Price.

Both goalies have played well but if the team plays better in front of one then you start that one

team has played exactly the same in every single game only difference in the Austria game is Carter being in the right place at the right time getting an easy hat-trick

Guess I am the minority here as I am a Canuck fan first and a TC fan 2nd. Winning the gold medal in 2010 was fun dont get me wrong but if the Canucks, sorry when the Canucks win I wont be able to speak for a week because I will have lost my voice and be nursing the worlds worst hangover. A gold medal for arguably hockey's greatest power just cant compare to the first ever SC title for a franchise thats been around for over 40years. So hell yea I am choked when TC slaps Lu in the face and plants him to the bench in favour of a goalie who they have zero evidence that he's the better option. Then again Lu could be playing for the Leafs of all teams right now and I'd still feel the same way just not be as passionate about it.

I don't really understand this.

I think that a lot of Canuck fans would prefer to see a Stanley Cup over a gold medal, but I don't see how Luongo getting the start over Price changes the Canucks' fortunes whatsoever.

Luongo has already won gold as a starter but the Canucks still haven't won a Cup, so I'm not really following your reasoning other than you're a Canuck fan, so you want the Canuck goalie to get the glory.

If that's the case, well then the posts in this thread show that you're a charter member of a very large fraternity.

My guess is the Latvians will keep it close for awhile but will ultimately succumb to the superior Canadian talent. I don't understand the posters who mention the Latvian's "trap" or "Nolan's suffocating style" because I sure haven't seen any of that in the 3 games that I've seen of them. They have actually had a terrific tournament despite not winning in the first 3 games and their goalie has been brilliant. All it would take is for him to totally lose his mind and for us to screw up just a bit (tons of penalties, a bad goal whatever) and this game could be historic, for all the wrong reasons.

Did I (almost) call it or what?

...even though it was a different goalie ::D

What baffles me is if Luongo lets in 1 goal three games in a row CDC is singing his praises. Price does the exact same and people are screaming for him to be replaced.

it goes both ways. Carey Price is praised as one of the best goalies right now, however when it was about Luongo people kept on saying, "Well he hasn't won a Stanley cup yet or a Vezina trophy, so before he accomplishes that, he cannot be the best."

But they don't ask for Carey Price to accomplish that, so yes, it goes both ways. People were also slamming the Dan Hamhius made the team, probably because he's a Canuck.

Every once in a while, there are moments in sports to witness, for example, I watched MJ take on the Jazz in game 6 against the Jazz while he was ridden with the flu, he carried the play for the full game putting up points like no tomorrow but once the game was over, he almost collapsed from sheer exhaustion.

I think this game is one of those moments where an athlete through sheer will almost single handedly beat Team Canada(Goliath), it was a special moment to watch in my opinion. Those moments are a great thing to bear witness to, they don't come along that often.

Kristers Gudlevskis was simply awesome this game, he faced shot after shot after unrelenting shot, we all saw when he went down on the ice in the 3rd and his goalie coach came out and was wiping him down with meltwater from the ice. What a game for him!! Even Carey Price was in awe tweeting about Gudlevskis performance after the game. This kid is only 21. Yzerman must have been very proud of him but gritting his teeth for Team Canada at the same time.

Are you Carey Price's brother? Because every post of yours is pumping up Price. He is adequate but thats not saying much because of the weak opposition. Come on, Austria, Norway, Latvia. Any NHL goaltender can beat them! The true test is against USA. And Price WILL mess up. I am predicting a USA win.

I think he is Prices former backup goalie Nick Olynyk :bigblush:

Archived