The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] CANADA VS SWEDEN GOLD MEDAL GAME

goalie13

No. Since Kelly Sutherland is one of the refs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444453

Meier and Sutherland are the same pair that worked the Canada/US semifinal. The two incompetents called Getzlaf for a high stick that didn't connect, then seconds later missed Petriangelo eating a high stick that did connect. Canadian-slanted reffing is the least likely occurance from these two.

Meier and Sutherland are the same pair that worked the Canada/US semifinal. The two incompetents called Getzlaf for a high stick that didn't connect, then seconds later missed Petriangelo eating a high stick that did connect. Canadian-slanted reffing is the least likely occurance from these two.

But Sutherland will give Daniel 2 minutes for putting his skates on.

http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/peter-forsberg-swedish-media-upset-canadians-selected-ref-men-hockey-final.html

Long story short, all refs/linesman for the gold medal game are Canadians and Peter Forsberg is upset.

My opinion only...I'm not familiar with the refs but names like Kelly Sutherland and Greg Devorski do ring a bell to me in SCF games. While I do not think that it's a great idea to have ALL FOUR officials being Canadian, it seems quite unlikely that we'd get favorable and biased calls. In fact, even the Swedish players (according to the article) did not pay much attention to this supposed problem either. Guys like Karlsson are actually comfortable in dealing with NHL refs and figured what is/isn't allowed.

If we ever get a game-breaking call (like in Women's Hockey OT in finals), I bet there will be some complains.

Thoughts?

Forsberg is a veteran player. He knows this won't have a bearing on the game. Sounds more like a distraction tactic to me.

The Swedish team has already said they don't support Forsberg's concerns

The Swedish Olympic team does not share the sentiments of fellow countryman Peter Forsberg who was upset that all four officials for the 2014 gold-medal final will be from Canada.

"I think most referees over there [in the NHL] are Canadian, too," Swedish defenceman Erik Karlsson said. "They probably support Montreal [Canadiens] or Toronto [Maple Leafs], but they don't make any difference there.

"We are used to having referees from USA and Canada in the NHL," Swedish captain Niklas Kronwall said. "We know their standards so I think it's easier for us too if the referees are from there."

http://olympics.cbc....ckey-final.html

Stephan Auger, Paul Devorski, Kelly Sutherland (born in BC!!), Mick McGeough, etc.. were/are all considered horrible refs and screwed over the Nucks multiple times...they were Canadian born too. ..doubt a Canadian ref will help Canada win by any means..hockey in most cases is honest.

Price with the shutout. Hopefully he gets the shutout. Price really deserves the shutout.

Jokes aside I really hope Hamhuis gets to see some ice time. Either that or he knocks Keith out and avenges daniel at last.

Fired up for this game ! Hope it's not an Olympic snooze fest filled with trap.

Archived