The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

Needs to be a huge overpayment for these guys especially Kesler who really is an untouchable.

why is he untouchable? The injuries are piling up for him, his style of play dictates a drop in his play as his body breaks down and right now his value is quite high. In my opinion, Kesler is the least untouchable player on the Canucks.

Edler and Kesler would likely get something around 2 prospects and 2 or 3 picks. Suddenly Vancouver would have somewhat of a promising future 2 or 3 years down the road.

In a salary cap world Kesler isn't going to be traded for strictly picks and prospects. The only teams that could afford to take on his cap hit without sending NHL salary the other way are bottom feeder teams that he would likely never waive his NTC for

Needs to be a huge overpayment for these guys especially Kesler who really is an untouchable.

Why is he untouchable though? A pending UFA in 2 seasons. Multiple injuries. Will most likely never repeat his career year and has a 50/50 chance of either pricing himself out of vancouver for his next contract or walking

Get value while value is high. Because in all honesty (yet again i say this) with all of the holes on this team the only two untouchables are the Sedins and only because of their contracts and their history of only playing with each other.

Kesler's value is declining and is as high as it will ever be. I agree the Canucks can't trade Kesler unless it is in a package for an elite prospect. Kesler is an elite centre in the league that plays hard minutes but those hard minute catch up. The Canucks are no where near the top teams in the league this season. A big trade is needed.

if your sending kes out for a "elite prospect" then the team is in rebuild. this team has zero NHL depth down the middle any trade involving kesler makes this team worse, petty simple.

You're making to much sense today.

Here is the reality. losing Edler or Kesler or both basically means this team is missing the playoffs this year and fighting for the playoffs next year which basically signals a full rebuild.

I, in all honesty; cannot think of a better year for this to happen. A top 10 this year, a top 5 and possible lottery win for MacDavid next year and if it stretches to 2+ seasons a bonafide shot at uber D prospect Chycrun (sp)

Really if it means competing and excelling for the next decade why not do it.

Now you're talkin' my language.

Somebody get ahold of Gillis.

if your sending kes out for a "elite prospect" then the team is in rebuild. this team has zero NHL depth down the middle any trade involving kesler makes this team worse, petty simple.

makes the team worse right now, in a season and lineup that is already a washout. It does, however make the team much much stronger in about 3 years time. Bluechip prospect and another first rounder solidifies the future for this organization. The present is quickly fading into the past......time to think of the future

thats kind of the idea of a rebuild. you get worse now but better in the future.

Kesler for Sutter and Dupres is an absolute joke. I would hope MG is still laughing

Replace Despres with Pouliot or Bennett and you have the start of something.

Kesler for Sutter, Pouliot/Bennett, 1st round pick. I think that is in the ballpark.

The Pens got Sutter, No.8 overall (Pouliot), and a prospect (Dumolin) for Jordan Staal from Carolina. Kes is worth just as much if not more.

Now you're talkin' my language.

Somebody get ahold of Gillis.

Well think of it this way.

We stand a chance if we start the rebuild now. Losing Edler, Kesler possibly Burrows and or Hansen and in the off season Luongo. Garnering a fair return of 1st and 2nd round picks and solid prospects out of all of this to make it back to respectability in 3 seasons say...2016/2017 only with a great mix of vets and youngsters.

But, and here is the awesome thing; we stand a chance of doing what the Pens and the Hawks did. Getting talent along the lines of Kane and Toews in consecutive years. Malkin and Crosby. This is IF we accept the rebuild is on and we run out this year, do a sell off of 3 or 4 roster players and go for it.

This sucks. man this sucks to be talking like this.

but MacDavid is a pure talent the likes of which the Canucks haven't had since Bure. Chycrun (watch this monster...wow) looks like a faster version of Pronger at age 15 and will have more size when he is NHL draft eligible.

If we are to suck and suck bad. Would you rather draft players like Nugent Hopkins and Yakupov. Or Malkin Crosby, Toews Kane etc?

I have long been against this idea. but being objective and being a hockey fan more than a team fan i can look at this team and know that 1 winger or 1 puck moving D man will not help us. we would have to sell off every prospect we have and picks for the next 2 seasons to get what we'd need to be "competitive" and in all honesty, that's just using a bigger band-aid to patch up our problems.

This is the year to accept it. I lived through the 80's and mid to late 90's. I don't want to run that risk again of seeing this team accept mediocrity or draft poorly when they accept it and have the high picks.

It is not often that players like Kesler and Edler are traded. They are both paid reasonable dollars, have term remaining, and are in their primes. The Canucks would be looking for a package similar to what Philly received when they traded Carter and Richards. Each one of those guys garnered a young NHL player, top prospect (or high first rounder), and another pick.

Three assets. That's got to be the asking price in my opinion. Depending on the quality of the player or prospect, you can vary how high the draft pick is. Detroit seems like a good trade partner, a number of young NHL ready players and some prospects. Detroit is also home for Ryan Kesler...

Only other option is if you find a team that also wants to shuffle the deck and make an asset for asset deal. That is way tougher.

Someone may bite and give that up but it's probably wishful thinking as Kesler has a few negative variables in his situation.

- Carter and Richards were both fresh 26 year olds when they were traded in that prime age bracket and neither had a history of bad health. Kesler is now 29 going on 30 and his body has been battered and not so durable the past few years as if his work ethic is starting to be to heavy for his body.

- Kesler is still dominant but not nearly as much as he has been in the past. I don't think anyone is expecting him to win another Selke or come near 40 goals or 75 points. Probably more along the lines of an elite defensive center who will get you around 50 points. On the other side Carter had 3 consecutive seasons scoring between 33-46 goals and between 61-84 points. Richards had 4 seasons of 62-80 points with 30+ goals in 2 his 3 last seasons. Not to mention his 23 point in 23 game cup run just the year before with all of those big plays as well as a Selke nomination. (Point they were playing like they were in the heart of their prime still)

- Probably the biggest road block in Kesler's value is his NTC. NTC will limit the teams you can send them too which often kills bidding wars and can lower the asking price a team can have on a player. Philadelphia moved both Carter and Richards right before their clauses kicked in and took the best offers. Carter made it brutally clear he never would have agreed to go to Columbus. While Richards who was alright with LA he did imply he was not to pleased about uprooting his life which he believed was set in Philly with his contract length. Philadelphia likely doesn't get those returns if the NTC are in play.

Not to mention the returns fit the givers lack of need. Schenn was expendable to LA with Richards and Kopitar being 23 and 26. Simmonds career high in goals was 16 at the time and he was expendable. Plus the 2nd round pick (not a big throw in for them). Columbus had a history of high draft picks and almost all are notorious for being busts they had no issue parting with a top 10 pick for a proven star (something they have trouble luring to Columbus). Voracek was spinning his wheels in Columbus and was no longer seen as a good prospect anymore career high 16 goals (something he is topping every season as a Flyer. Like Simmonds his career simply turned around in Philadelphia's system. They simply exceeded expectations. Plus the 3rd round pick which isn't much of a throw in.

Kes would fetch a nice return still but I feel the variables won't allow it to match that example unless Van's scouting pulls off some steals with a hidden gem or two.

^Been ranting and raving about tanking for Connor since pre-season. Re-signing the Sedins was supposed to be the end of that talk, but here we are and the talk is stronger than ever.

Unfortunately there's no way to totally secure him. Still, the 2015 draft is supposed to be full of studs. 2016 is better than this years' too. These should be the drafts to sell players to get picks in. But i think all other GM's are aware of this.

Not sure what MG is going to end up doing but there's definitely lots of deals to be made and if the deadline comes and goes without noticable improvements made MG failed bottom line.

Clearly you have to give something to get something good and if MG does it right we will be far better now and not have jeopardize the future.

To the credit of MG between the young free agent signings and good job of drafting the future is looking bright and won't miss Edler and a pick or prospect and Hansen being traded for the right help now/future player this team needs.

I don't want to hear more of MG's excuses it's time he stepped up here and help this team it's crucial.

Reason kesler is almost untouchable here is due to the weak forward talent pool the nucks have. Also, kesler is a rare commodity in the nhl a big center that can put up points, hit, defend and skate like the wind. People in this town don't always see the big pic. Again, i'm open to moving anyone off the nucks as long as the price is right but I think for the right balance nucks should be moving a dman (Edler) for help up front. Would make the team better overall.

You're making to much sense today.

Here is the reality. losing Edler or Kesler or both basically means this team is missing the playoffs this year and fighting for the playoffs next year which basically signals a full rebuild.

I, in all honesty; cannot think of a better year for this to happen. A top 10 this year, a top 5 and possible lottery win for MacDavid next year and if it stretches to 2+ seasons a bonafide shot at uber D prospect Chycrun (sp)

Really if it means competing and excelling for the next decade why not do it.

gee we don't make the playoffs this year so we move Edler for a young ready now NHL player and keep Kesler unless hes asked for a trade and Hansen for a late 1st or like Clowe 2 2nds and a 3rd

We draft in the top10 and get a winger that has a chance to make the team the next year...With FA we sign a RHD that plays a physical game that will hopefully work great with Garrison so our backend has a minor change

On offence we keep Santo...a serviceable player just like Higgins except can play center and RW instead of LW is something I keep hands down for the 3rd line...If Kassian continues to improve his consistency like he is he could play on the Sedins line or the 2nd line and depending who the player is we trade Edler for we can move Kes to RW on the 1st/2nd line and add to our roster depth and also depending what rookies/FAs are on the roster without a drastic move we could get right back into it like Anaheim did

gee we don't make the playoffs this year so we move Edler for a young ready now NHL player and keep Kesler unless hes asked for a trade and Hansen for a late 1st or like Clowe 2 2nds and a 3rd

We draft in the top10 and get a winger that has a chance to make the team the next year...With FA we sign a RHD that plays a physical game that will hopefully work great with Garrison so our backend has a minor change

On offence we keep Santo...a serviceable player just like Higgins except can play center and RW instead of LW is something I keep hands down for the 3rd line...If Kassian continues to improve his consistency like he is he could play on the Sedins line or the 2nd line and depending who the player is we trade Edler for we can move Kes to RW on the 1st/2nd line and add to our roster depth and also depending what rookies/FAs are on the roster without a drastic move we could get right back into it like Anaheim did

And....then what?

we are still filling to many holes with to many band aids or unknowns.

By the time all of that is in place Kesler is into his next contract the twins are on their decline in a big way our oldest d men are not capable of keeping up and we are now no closer than we are as of today or even a step further back from achieving the elusive cup win.

or we do what needs to be done, rip the band aids fast and just accept the inevitable.

Again i have been one of the loudest against this action but it is starting to make more and more sense when you factor in everything

And....then what?

we are still filling to many holes with to many band aids or unknowns.

And then we do your plan that involves a long pointless rebuild

Im not saying I hangup on calls for anybody else im saying unless im getting young roster players not just picks/prospects I don't do a damn thing

You know the exact same as me and that is rebuilds don't make owners money so you don't think their going to pull smaller moves to avoid being a pathetic Edmonton/Calgary/Toronto...A few years ago do you think all Ducks fans wanted to blow everything away and rebuild when they came 25th?

Only 1 team can win it all and 14 teams in the league miss the playoffs every year...You don't see 14 teams going full rebuild do you? If you want full rebuilds that show 1st overall years in a row alone will save a franchise look at Edmonton...You need a mix of Vets and Youth to win in the NHL and that is something that we are working on getting...Hansen needs to go, Edler needs to go for long term...The right deal comes up I move Kesler but im not doing picks and prospects that you seem to only want

Love how people talking about trading Edler and Kesler assume McDavid is going to end up in VAN. Wishfull thinking at it's best.

Kesler won't be traded this year no matter how much the CDC general manager's think he should be.

Take note Warhippy

Archived