The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

Gillis CANNOT afford to get less than the acquiring organization's best prospect and a 2015 1st round pick for this team's best playoff type of player.

It will impact any other trade Gillis tries to make if he accepts less. I'm glad McKenzie is at least cognizant of this:

Price to get Kesler is high. 1. Significant/established NHLer, preferably a C, 20 to 25; 2. Top prospect, preferably a F. 3. 1st rd pick.

I also like Jarmo Kekalainen's eye for talent, not to mention draft position, so I'd rather start there.

That's not the type of return you'd expect for a perennial Selke centre with 30-40g 60-75pt offensive production. There are maybe 5-7 players in the entire world that bring the same toolbox to the table:

1. Toews

2. Bergeron

3. Datsyuk

4. Zetterberg

5. Kopitar

6. Backes

For sure, he's a valuable asset. No argument from me.

I'm not even saying that should be the offer we take but I was suggesting it isn't that far off in value. People may not like the names, and that's fair enough, but I don't think the proper respect to the quality of that package is being given. A package, I might add, that is not being offered by Pittsburgh. It's a CDC invention.

One thing I'd make you note, Miller, is that none of the names you've listed have ever been traded.

I think most people here offer the Richards and Nash (in fact, very similar) trades as decent comparables to what we could expect to get for Kesler. That package suggested is right in the same range. Simmonds was a young 3rd liner until given more responsibility in a new environment and that's a fair possibility for Despres too.

If that was the deal to be made there would be many angry people here jumping to the conclusion that the end is nigh and we got taken to school. I wouldn't be one of them.

In the end… nothing has happened so there is nothing to get worked up about. We can watch those players regardless and look back in 5 years to see if we were right in our evaluations.

Very interesting.

If true, I hope we manage to either get Pouliot instead of the other 2 Dmen or make it two firsts.

CHICAGO — The Penguins know which player they want to acquire before the NHL trade deadline Wednesday.

Vancouver center Ryan Kesler is being pursued aggressively by Penguins general manager Ray Shero, multiple sources told the Tribune-Review on Saturday.

A proposed deal would send Kesler to the Penguins in exchange for center Brandon Sutter, two 2014 draft picks — likely a first- and third-round — and the Canucks' choice of defensemen Simon Despres or Brian Dumoulin, the sources said.

It is possible the deal could involve another Canucks and Penguins player, but Shero was looking only to acquire Kesler, the sources said.

The trade deadline is 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Shero has made at least one move in the month advancing or at the deadline in six of seven previous seasons. Last season he acquired wingers Jarome Iginla, Brenden Morrow and Jussi Jokinen and defenseman Douglas Murray before the trade deadline.

Only Jokinen remains. Shero would prefer not to add players on expiring contracts before this year's deadline, the sources said.

Shero first inquired with Vancouver about Kesler in January prior to defenseman Kris Letang's stroke, the sources said. The Canucks since have heavily scouted Despres, a 2009 first-round pick, the sources said.

Read more: http://triblive.com/...s#ixzz2ullwsle8

Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

That's the kind of offer that 'staals' negotiations imo.... Sutter, Despres and a late round pick would be a Pittsburgh pipe dream - lowballing lesser offers than what they sold Staal for is not 'aggressive', it's fantasy.

Maata, Sutter, a 1st and a 3rd maybe. Substitute Bennett for the 1st if you want. Sub DuMoulin for the 3rd if you want.

Couturier, Read, Hagg. People need to stop pretending Couturier is anywhere near par value - great young player, but there'd have to be significantly more value added.

Dubinsky, Jenner, Erixon. Dubinsky imo is a player who gives the Canucks a very reasonable immediate presence that doesn't set them back too significantly in their present intent of making the playoffs. Those two prospects make it worthwhile. Substitute Anisimov and add a 2nd.

Johansen, Erixon. Johansen is still a young talent - does not have the value that Kesler does - contrary to a lot of opinion, CBJ need to add a moderate prospect to get it done imo.

Until someone is prepared to pay market value, the low balls are nogos.

Kesler is the premier center on the US National team - a team many were (prematurely) thinking were about to succeed Canada.

He's an absolute steal at a 5 million cap hit.

He's a player that makes the Pittsburgh Penguins instantly much harder to handle - and brings that element they desperately need - more difficult to play against.

There simply has to be that one premier young talent like Maata in the deal - and at the very least a B roster center like Sutter. The Penguins don't have a player like Johansen, Couturier, or even Dubinsky to offer - so they have to be prepared to seriously raise the stakes where a young bluechip blueliner is concerned, and Maata takes a measured amount of risk out of this deal for Vancouver, otherwise, it's simply not worth it.

I think most of the talk is a piece short of getting it done. If a team wants Kesler be prepared to pay a piece more than what Staal commanded - a lesser player who was unsigned, and went on to ink a 10 yr, 60 million deal.

Kesler is not just a Selke and the top line center on the US team - he's also signed to a hell of a bang for your buck deal.

Richards was dealt for Schenn, Simmonds and a 2nd. Richards also came with an albatross of a 12 year, 69 million contract.

Again, if you want Kesler, be prepared to pay at least that price.

For sure, he's a valuable asset. No argument from me.

I'm not even saying that should be the offer we take but I was suggesting it isn't that far off in value. People may not like the names, and that's fair enough, but I don't think the proper respect to the quality of that package is being given. A package, I might add, that is not being offered by Pittsburgh. It's a CDC invention.

One thing I'd make you note, Miller, is that none of the names you've listed have ever been traded.

I think most people here offer the Richards and Nash (in fact, very similar) trades as decent comparables to what we could expect to get for Kesler. That package suggested is right in the same range. Simmonds was a young 3rd liner until given more responsibility in a new environment and that's a fair possibility for Despres too.

If that was the deal to be made there would be many angry people here jumping to the conclusion that the end is nigh and we got taken to school. I wouldn't be one of them.

In the end… nothing has happened so there is nothing to get worked up about. We can watch those players regardless and look back in 5 years to see if we were right in our evaluations.

That's exactly my point. These type of players don't come along often (in fact it's extremely rare that they get traded - even moreso when in their prime) but when they do they net the acquiring team's best prospect ie, Richards for Brayden Schenn and a young 20-25 forward with minimum 20g upside like Simmonds.

kesler and luongo for huberdeau, gudbranson, markstrom, 1st.

Edler for Brayden Schenn first!

Then do ^ that trade. If we trade Kesler for any defenseman that might lower Edlers stock because teams know we have to move him.

Schenn Huberdeau ______

Sedin Sedin Kassian

burrows Horvat hansen

jensen, gaunce, shinkaruk

That's exactly my point. These type of players don't come along often (in fact it's extremely rare that they get traded - even moreso when in their prime) but when they do they net the acquiring team's best prospect ie, Richards for Brayden Schenn and a young 20-25 forward with minimum 20g upside like Simmonds.

That's fine and I can see that point of view.

I just think there is more in that package than most here, I suppose.

I am betting Kesler stays at this point. The asking price is to high and the 3 teams most brought up are all center strong teams that don't exactly need Kesler. I doubt any cave for him.

Edler seems more likely to pull that desperate effect from another team but even his value will likely be undermined by the other solid defensemen on the market.

I am thinking both stay now.

That's fine and I can see that point of view.

I just think there is more in that package than most here, I suppose.

Yeah but now is not the time to accept a lesser offer. That time comes when Kesler pulls a Rick Nash and tells Gillis, "I'll only waive for Pittsburgh."

Yeah but now is not the time to accept a lesser offer. That time comes when Kesler pulls a Rick Nash and tells Gillis, "I'll only waive for Pittsburgh."

That could be. It could also be, as we discussed earlier, a matter of waiting to have other dominoes fall.

There was no serious Lou speculation until Miller got traded.

Maybe we wait for someone else to blink first. I hope so. I could also just as easily see that if we don't make a move it could stall many other moves throughout the league.

So… top young player, top prospect and a 1st would make people happy?

Jenner, Wennberg and a 1st would do it? Or instead of Wennberg, Rychel?

There would still be lots of complaints because Murray was not included.

If it's not a clear home run then there is no winning here.

As mentioned, this is my opinion, based on the rumours and speculation out there. Kesler is a first line center (USA 1st line center), recent selke winner, top 2-way forward. They rarely make it to the open market. As mentioned, if someone wants him, they will have to overpay. The speculated offer by Pits was Sutter & Pouliot, and we don't know what else. Pouliot being one of their top 2 prospects. Therefore I counter with what i want.

If they don't match, i trade Kesler to their competition.

How would Pits like it if they had to face him on the playoffs playing for Phili, Detroit, Boston, NYR, Montreal, etc. simply put; overpay with prospect and get the chance to win the cup, or face:

Phili: Kesler, Lecavalier, Scheen/Couturier

Boston: Krejci, Bergeron, Kesler

Detroit: Datsyuk, Kesler

NYR: Richards, Kesler, Brassard/Stephan

Do you understand now how my opinion was formed and why if they want him, they will overpay and that package is realistic.

Same thing goes for Elder, If Phili doesn't want to pay that package, we trade Edler to Ottawa, or someone else fighting for the 8th position. Please keep in mind that despite the opinion of many fans, Edler is a top 2 dman. He was on the top pairing with Karlson for Sweden. We are in no hurry to trade him either. The package i proposed is mainly for B.Schenn and Laughton. I don't see L.Scheen as anything special.

Why do i think Phili would overpay?

Streit is 36 with a 5.25 mill. cap hit.

Timonen is 38 and a UFA. cap hit 6 mill.

Pronger - no comment

Coburn is top 4 dman with a 4.5 mil cap hit.

Meszaros is not worth the 4 mill cap hit.

and you're left with Grossman, Gustafsson, and L. Schenn.

Only Gustafsson and L. Schenn are younger than Edler.

The need an Edler type dmen for this year, and the next few years to be their top 2 dman.

Great post, Penguins will have to over pay. Trust me, if Kesler being on their team wins them the cup this year, they wont care if Bennett or Pouliot scores 80 goals each for the Canucks next year. Fact is they won the cup, mission accomplished. I agree with your point that I was explaining earlier, the demand for Kesler especially in the East is so high, that overpayment is a given if not, hes going to their competition. This is far different from the Luongo saga where Gillis had a specific price and its not being met. This Kesler situation is a complete 180 in which the Canucks demands are not only being met, but theres gonna bidding war on who could exceed those demands the most

How does Neal or Letang help us in a rebuild?

We need to go younger.

Unless they think we still have a chance this season, I don't see Gillis being interested in either of those two. Not to mention Letang was put on LTIR today.

I thought we were starting a rebuild? Or didnt you get the memo?

Isn't Neal 26 years old? That's pretty young in the NHL.

Not to mention, he'd be the perfect linemate for the Sedins.

If this Kesler deal doesn't get done by the deadline then I think the return will be less. One can only hope Gillis is still listening to offers on Edler as well..

my guess is Kesler gets traded a day or so after the heritage classic to give the fans one last hoorah

So… top young player, top prospect and a 1st would make people happy?

Jenner, Wennberg and a 1st would do it? Or instead of Wennberg, Rychel?

There would still be lots of complaints because Murray was not included.

If it's not a clear home run then there is no winning here.

if fans from both teams are pissed, then its probably a good trade

I strongly dislike Ray Shero now. Hes using his mist on a lot of you guys, and your starting to like his garbage offers.

Saad and TT from the Hawks

Schenn/Couturier and Sam Morin from philly

Nyquist and Mantha from Detroit are offers that are fair and id be willing to work with. This Pitts offer is a joke. Sutter,Depres and a late 1st? Theres no rush to do something. Gillis should shut Shero down.

Archived