The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Eddie be in the conversation for the Calder?

Bilbro Baggins

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I lurk these forums pretty frequently and haven't seen anything. Despite some bumps in the road, Eddie has played incredibly this season and deserves some recognition. He has only played 34 games this year, yet has posted 4 shutouts and a respectable 2.34 GAA & .915 SV%. This all while playing in front of a mediocre-at-best Canucks lineup, where off-ice distractions have been more than abundant. Coupled with the fact that he was out for the majority of the season last year with major hip surgery, these numbers are beyond impressive. All of this in his first year of NHL play... Wow man, this guy is good.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8475663&view=stats

With the exception of MacKinnon and maybe Krug, I'd say Eddie has accomplished more in his first year than any other rookie. I'm not lobbying for Eddie to win the Calder, but I feel like a nomination (or at least consideration) is warranted.

And for good measure....

Johnson likely tho win it, NMc, Krug close, if Eddie gets four more shut outs and carries the Canucks into the playoff right to the SCF then he'll push the front runners out.

i wish they did it 3 nominations 1 goalie 1 defenseman 1 forward

Agreed... They have best defencemen awards etc... So why not have rookie versions of each trophy.

Highest scoring rookie

MVP Rookie

Highest point totals rookie

Vezina for rookies

etc...

Hell just have a seperate Rookie awards ceremony!

If he really took the job from Lu and had an insane record getting us to the playoffs, he'd be in strong consideration. Lots of the games we lost was lack giving up a couple softies. Kinda hard to talk about the Calder now.

Uh oh! You know what that means, don't you? "GMMG OUT GM'D AGAIN!!!!!!!!!"

Oh, that goes without saying!

Anybody else getting the feeling that Steve Yzerman is going to turn Tampa into a dynasty? I mean, he can't seem to lose!

Conacher for Bishop? Getting a 2015 1st and Callahan for old man Marty? And now pulling guys like this out of the prospect heap?

Rookies, even top rookies, are hardly ever the difference between a team making the playoffs and not. That's a mighty big ask of any player, let alone a rookie.

Earning the #1 goalie in your first year over Roberto Luongo is quite a task.

I still don't think he will be nominated over a number of top rookies this year, but using the "if he gets them in the playoffs" argument is not very solid in my opinion.

You said that earning the #1 spot over Luongo is a quite a feat itself, the best players helping any team making the playoffs alone are rare (let alone rookies). But then you say that if he gets them into the playoffs is not a "strong argument"

lol?

You said that earning the #1 spot over Luongo is a quite a feat itself, the best players helping any team making the playoffs alone are rare (let alone rookies). But then you say that if he gets them into the playoffs is not a "strong argument"

lol?

I don't get what you're saying?

I'm saying it's not a strong argument to use "getting them in the playoffs" as the only criteria for being worth mentioning in conversation for Calder. If he DOES get him in the playoffs, surely his chances at a Calder nomination would and should be higher.

But when you said "If he can get them into the playoffs yeah" does that mean if he doesn't get them in the playoffs then he shouldn't?

I believe playoff performance don't influence the nominations or results

making the playoffs would imply that he did during the latter stretch of the regular season, which if he did I think he should be in the conversation for a nomination, but Mackinnon has that locked up

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I lurk these forums pretty frequently and haven't seen anything. Despite some bumps in the road, Eddie has played incredibly this season and deserves some recognition. He has only played 34 games this year, yet has posted 4 shutouts and a respectable 2.34 GAA & .915 SV%. This all while playing in front of a mediocre-at-best Canucks lineup, where off-ice distractions have been more than abundant. Coupled with the fact that he was out for the majority of the season last year with major hip surgery, these numbers are beyond impressive. All of this in his first year of NHL play... Wow man, this guy is good.

With the exception of MacKinnon and maybe Krug, I'd say Eddie has accomplished more in his first year than any other rookie. I'm not lobbying for Eddie to win the Calder, but I feel like a nomination (or at least consideration) is warranted.

And for good measure....

sad that he lost all but one of those games

And for good measure....

Good, positive thread imo. 5 star, +1.

If Eddie's top 5, then imo he belongs in the conversation, and I think it's fair to consider him in that range, as you have pointed out.

Considering the fact he was undrafted, came off an injury plagued season, had to deal with a whole lot of pressure in stepping up to replace Luo (and Schneider) as well as the Luo boo birds at the Winter Classic, and playing behind a wounded, inconsistent team with shaky confidence in front of him - he has had an absolutely terrific season - and could not ask more of him.

A healthy Canucks team that is performing reasonably near their potential and Eddie'd have had a very good chance of taking it imo.

But even in the challenging context he's played in, he's been great enough to warrant some reasonable consideration.

Archived