The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey's Future top 20 - Updated March 17

I am about a week late but just noticed hockeysfuture released a new list for our top prospects:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/104917/bo-horvat-takes-over-as-top-prospect-in-vancouver-canucks-top-20/

Notable prospects:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect-rankings/vancouver-canucks-other-notable-prospects/page/1

While the list isn't great it is nice to see that we have a solid group of prospects. In previous lists we didn't even have 20. Plus there are guys like Lain and Welsh who actually dressed for games yet didn't crack the main list.

As for the list, I think Schroeder, Labate, Andersson, Sauve, and Mallet are too high. Shinkaruk, Subban, Fox, Hutton, and Archibald too low. Here is my list not including Markstrom (who I would put #2):

1. Horvat

2. Jensen

3. Hutton

4. Shinkaruk

5. Gaunce

6. Eriksson

7. Corrado

8. Grenier

9. Fox

10. Schroeder

11. Archibald

12. Cassels

13. Subban

14. Labate

15. Lain

16. Cannata

17. Kenins

18. McEneny

19. McNally

20. Andersson

Added: Kenins, McEneny, Lain

Removed: Tommernes, Sauve, Mallet

Why Added: Kenins is a physical player with a sound two-way game. Marc Crawford seemed confident that Kenins would be playing in the NHL within a couple of years. This past season he has far more goals/points in less games and a good showing at the olympics. McEneny improved on his solid season, and put up 35 points in 46 games along with a +14. He also has a 6'2, 205 lb frame to go along with his offensive & defensive capabilities. Lain is older and has a low ceiling but he could become an awesome 4th line player. He looked pretty good and has a great combination of size, speed, physical play and faceoff ability.

Why Removed: Three guys who haven't shown much at the AHL level and are a bit older. I think Mallet still has a chance but I don't see Tommernes or Sauve making it as full time NHL players.

Ben Hutton: My biggest mover. He seems to be the total package and should have been nominated for a Hobey Baker. 15 goals is absolutely insane for a college defenseman and was also the team lead. In fact, he had 3 more goals than any other defenseman in college hockey. Throw in his defensive abilities and we got ourselves a blue chip prospect.

"Hutton stands 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, and he’s capable of delivering big hits. But he gets much more notoriety for his offense. His coach, Red Gendron, doesn’t think that is necessarily fair"

“He’s got a great stick, and he’s got a great feel for the game. Obviously, he can skate,” Gendron said. “But there have been moments this year, on the penalty kill and other defensive situations, he’s been incredible.

LOL is this a joke?

"Bo Horvat now leads the Vancouver Canucks Top 20 ranking as Nicklas Jensen has struggled to find his footing in the NHL this season." If Jensen couldn't find his footing then some of our guys don't deserve to be on the team.

LOL is this a joke?

"Bo Horvat now leads the Vancouver Canucks Top 20 ranking as Nicklas Jensen has struggled to find his footing in the NHL this season." If Jensen couldn't find his footing then some of our guys don't deserve to be on the team.

Article was written prior to his call up

LOL is this a joke?

The article was published a week ago and likely went to the editor 2 weeks ago (it references that Jensen was just called up). Considering he likely hadn't registered a point in the NHL at that point, it was a fair statement at the time.

Mallet was a terrible pick, I honestly don't think he's better than anyone they've put him above.

Cannata in the top 10 is... interesting?

Couldn't agree more. Mallet was projected to go undrafted and was unranked by majority of teams...no one would've picked him in the first 5 rounds guaranteed but knowing the Nucks and all, have to waste a 2nd round pick on him. Could've easily got him in the later rounds or possibly signed him after the draft :picard:

We need to get Hutton signed because that will definitely strengthen our weak D prospect pool.

Im curious to see how Fox ends up because he just lit it up in the O this year - so we definitely know theres some potential there.

I would put Cassels above Archibald. I can't give you a good explanation why though - i just get that feeling. He was definitely a 3rd round steal

Mallet.... oh boy...

Find it hilarious how low they ranked Fox lol. He's ran away with OHL coaching awards and awards in general and praise by all his teammates, opposing players etc...yea he may be an overager but the way he's played this year and proved himself, sucks for the teams that don't have him that's for sure.

Mallet would have been better served if he was sent down to the ECHL this year. I feel sorry for him after watching him in warm ups so often and then hit the early showers to be a healthy scratch.

Mallet was a healthy scratch a lot this year?

That sucks, watching him in camp this year I thought he looked good and had a good shot at being a 3rd or 4th line banger grinder for the Canucks.

Hard to have much faith when he's a healthy scratch in the AHL

Ok this list is off its rocker

Heres my evaluation

1. Horvat Will be our shutdown center next yr great on face offs most upside out of any prospects

2. Shinkaruk Sniper like ability that shot he scored on lunquivst was crazy in preseason

3. Jensen. Big body sick shot

4. Corrado calm steady dman all round good

5. Hutton big body great yr

6. Lain Played great for canucks love his size 6'6 220

7. Kenins Played unreal in olympics looks like a steal i think he slots on 3rd line next yr trade

8. Markstrom Has huge upside will be great with lack as a tandem

9. Fox Great one timer clutch play 67 goals in ohl this yr and counting 2way player good at faceoffs

10. Gaunce big 2way center clutch

11. Archibald big hard hitter great future 4th liner

12. Eriksson decent first yr numbers in utica

13. Cassels good center dna from his dad helps

14. Grenier looks ok on comets

15. Mcnally decent in college

16. Mceneny looks ok for a free prospect

17. Labate decent on comets

18. Subban small but offensive dman

19. Mallet hope he trains gard this summer otherwise a bust

20. Anderson seems like a plug dont see him making nhl

Fox and shinkaruk and kenins and gaunce are players im most excited about horvat will be great he looks like real deal hooe all five of these guys make team next yr trade out kesler for a younger center and a 1st

Get rid of hansen and edler For decent prospects and picks

Ok this list is off its rocker

Heres my evaluation

1. Horvat Will be our shutdown center next yr great on face offs most upside out of any prospects

2. Shinkaruk Sniper like ability that shot he scored on lunquivst was crazy in preseason

3. Jensen. Big body sick shot

4. Corrado calm steady dman all round good

5. Hutton big body great yr

6. Lain Played great for canucks love his size 6'6 220

7. Kenins Played unreal in olympics looks like a steal i think he slots on 3rd line next yr trade

8. Markstrom Has huge upside will be great with lack as a tandem

9. Fox Great one timer clutch play 67 goals in ohl this yr and counting 2way player good at faceoffs

10. Gaunce big 2way center clutch

11. Archibald big hard hitter great future 4th liner

12. Eriksson decent first yr numbers in utica

13. Cassels good center dna from his dad helps

14. Grenier looks ok on comets

15. Mcnally decent in college

16. Mceneny looks ok for a free prospect

17. Labate decent on comets

18. Subban small but offensive dman

19. Mallet hope he trains gard this summer otherwise a bust

20. Anderson seems like a plug dont see him making nhl

Fox and shinkaruk and kenins and gaunce are players im most excited about horvat will be great he looks like real deal hooe all five of these guys make team next yr trade out kesler for a younger center and a 1st

Get rid of hansen and edler For decent prospects and picks

Swap Lain for Fox and move up Gaunce and Cassels above Lain and then I am good with that list.

Also Drop Anderson and add Cannata.

HFBoards has horrible canucks lists. Theyre ranking system is pretty bad too.

My personal list that hasn't changed much since December:

1. Bo Horvat
2. Hunter Shinkaruk
3. Nicklas Jensen
4. Frankie Corrado
5. Brendan Gaunce
6. Ben Hutton
7. Cole Cassels
8. Joakim Eriksson
9. Joe LaBate
10. Alexandre Grenier
11. Jordan Subban
12. Dane Fox
13. Darren Archibald
14. Kellan Lain
15. Henrik Tommernes
16. Ronalds Kenins
17. Peter Andersson
18. Anton Cederholm
19. Alexandre Mallet
20. Patrick McNally (really screwed himself over with that cheating scandal)
HM's to Zalewski who I havent seen enough of to rank and Blomstrand who I hope is in the AHL next season.

^heard about the cheating scandal but not anymore than that. Anyone have details as to what happened a bit more in depth?

Around 30ish students (I think) got caught collaborating on a take home test last year. a number of them were student athletes. McNally was suspended for the remainder of the season after playing 9 games. he sat out 9 games at the beginning of this year to maintain another year of eligibility. I was updated on that detail last week myself.

Archived