The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

11 minutes ago, Xbox said:

This signing makes me sick to my stomach.

I hate Rogers so much. I dont have any of their crappy services but if I did i'd drop them.

You can imagine what the people in TO are thinking..Happ at the exspence of Price...it will make alot of people very un-HAPP-y

18 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

You can imagine what the people in TO are thinking..Happ at the exspence of Price...it will make alot of people very un-HAPP-y

I am in Toronto and people are pissed

1% off chance they trade dickey and get price back. Im not even going to bother anymore.

I called it a while ago. NYY or BOS

Edited by Xbox

Hopefully for three years its Pittsburgh Pirates JA Happ and not any other version we've seen haha. The Jays have a better starting rotation and roster then they did last year. With the cheap out on starting pitching I'm hoping they break the bank on two really good relief arms. It sure would be nice having our pitchers only needing to get to the 6th inning before it was relief lock down like KC had.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

mark-shapiro.jpg

It was fun while it lasted, but....unfortunately the team is in the hands of a dweeb.

I cant understand why this tool was hired..if he looks like a tool and acts like a tool..chances are he is a tool...well we enjoyed one good year...between this TOOL and ROGERS...its going to be a gong show.

• Upvote 1

The offence remains the same! Revere, Donaldson, Bautista, Encarnacion, Tulowitzki, Colabello, Martin, Pillar, and Goins. That is an unreal lineup! Also people need to remember the rotation we started with last year because this years looks better than last years. Albeit not much better but it is better even without Price. If there is money the bullpen is what needs the most help now. Hopefully the Jays can snag 2 of the top 10 relievers in ufa.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

The offence remains the same! Revere, Donaldson, Bautista, Encarnacion, Tulowitzki, Colabello, Martin, Pillar, and Goins. That is an unreal lineup! Also people need to remember the rotation we started with last year because this years looks better than last years. Albeit not much better but it is better even without Price. If there is money the bullpen is what needs the most help now. Hopefully the Jays can snag 2 of the top 10 relievers in ufa.

Yes, the offense is there, but that was never the problem. The Jays were the top offensive team throughout the entire season (at least one of), and were still only 1 game above .500, when they acquired Price and Tulowitzki. Once they acquire a legitimate ace, that's when things started clicking. They are now relying on a 24 yrs old kid to carry the pitching staff. That's a lot of pressure on Stroman. Hey, remember what happened to Romero, when they traded Halladay? Re-signing Price or getting an legitimate ace, not only relief pressure off from Stroman, but the entire pitching staff. 

There is still a lot of question marks that concerns the rotation, as I mentioned above, can Stroman handle the pressure of being the #1 ace, at such a young age? Does Dickey still have it? Can Estrada and Happ, emulate their success from last season? Will Hutch ever be a starter? Is Chavez that much better than Hendriks?

To me, the pitching rotation look like they have a good number 2, in Stroman and a bunch of 3s and 4s. That's not good enough, if they want to compete for a WS.

I'm just trying to shed a little bit of light on what has been a poor attempt of making a WS worthy rotation. I agree we have what looks more like a lot of 4's and 5's for the rotation with no number 1. The front office is looking like they're trying to save a little bit of money and draft picks by choosing not to sign any of the top pitchers that were given QO's.

LaCava and Cleveland executive Ross Atkins are finalists for GM. There may be more finalists candidates, but these two are considered the favorites. It doesn't matter who is hired because they will be nothing but a puppet that answers to Sharpio. What a joke bringing back Happ at $12 Million along with Dickey. Rogers are cheap skates and never had any intention of trying to keep Price. No wonder AA left. Sharpio is going to gut  and ruin this team and it will be another 22 years before they see the playoffs again. Frack Rogers.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/report-lacava-atkins-finalists-for-blue-jays-gm-job/

Toronto Blue Jays interim general manager Tony LaCava and Cleveland Indians executive Ross Atkins are finalists for the Blue Jays GM job, according to Jon Heyman of CBS.

Heyman goes on to mention that LaCava and Atkins may not necessarily be the only finalists, but are the two favourites at this point.

LaCava was named interim GM after Alex Anthopoulos left the team at the end of October.

11 hours ago, the last outlaw said:

LaCava and Cleveland executive Ross Atkins are finalists for GM. There may be more finalists candidates, but these two are considered the favorites. It doesn't matter who is hired because they will be nothing but a puppet that answers to Sharpio. What a joke bringing back Happ at $12 Million along with Dickey. Rogers are cheap skates and never had any intention of trying to keep Price. No wonder AA left. Sharpio is going to gut  and ruin this team and it will be another 22 years before they see the playoffs again. Frack Rogers.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/report-lacava-atkins-finalists-for-blue-jays-gm-job/

AA could see the writing on the wall...he would be a puppet GM in name only..Shapiro is going to cheap out the team and they will be floundering again very soon...why this guy, I dont get it......on another note word is the Jays are in on KC reliever Ryan Madson..

I predict after next year most of the Jays wont want to resign.

Here is what I dont understand. If Rogers is too cheap to sign Price, then why did our management send a significant offer to Zack Greinke? 

There has to be more to it. Clearly the money isn't the be all end all if we are sending offers to Zack Greinke. 

Edited by Xbox

I'm definitely thinking they are going to model the KC Royals' rotation... #2 guy, and the rest really solid 3-4s. An average rotation, but very elite relief pitching. Depth at SP doesn't hurt, and I can only imagine they'll sign probably one more and move a guy like Chavez to LRP. I definitely think they're going to break the bank on relief pitching rather than just bringing back Price who hasn't been the best in the playoffs his career.

I think when dealing with the big gun pitchers the Toronto brass looks at how bad a contract will be in the last year of the deal first and foremost. Reports came out that they believed with everything included Grienke would age better than Price. As much as they'd like Price for this year I don't think they could commit to Price at 30 million in the 7th year of his contract. They failed me on the starting pitching signings so I'm hoping slickjim23 is right and go for that elite pen. It would be nice knowing guys like Dickey, Chavez, Happ, and Hutchinson only having to get to the 5th or 6th innings most nights before its shut down time.

I'm less disappointed in the Happ signing than the rest of you. Instead of looking at it as Happ against Price, I look at innings.

As someone mentioned earlier, Happ and Dickey's salaries combined are going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of what Price is going to get. Obviously, Price is the better pitcher, but he's going to give you 200 innings. Dickey and Happ together should approach 400 innings and with the Jays' depleted rotation, that is what is required.

The Offense will still be there, so the reality is, the Jays' starters just need to keep them in games and let the best O in baseball outscore the opposition.

LaCava (or whomever ultimately gets the GM job) needs to bolster the bullpen, so less games are lost in the final few innings, or at least hold teams down while the offense tries to bring them back from behind.

Finally, regarding Price, I think term might become an issue. He's going to want at least seven years and I think that whoever signs him might be looking askance at paying him 25 million per in the later years of that deal.

I would have preferred another more established starter, but I like the fact that we have a lefty starter now and I'm more optimistic about next season than most of you.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

@PeteAbe: #RedSox in agreement with David Price. 7 years and $217 million. Story on @BGlobeSports: https://t.co/uambYduqBK

$31m per for Price. Win-win for me...get to see him on my Sox...as much as I'd prefer him to stay in TO. We never had a chance. Good on Price for his own good.