The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

If your talking about the Burke one, I'd keep an open mind. Just because Burke said No it never happened, doesn't mean he's telling the truth, why would he admit to it....

To many red flags imo, Burke was finally getting Toronto into the playoffs for the first time in 8 years, but they decided to let him go half way through the season... Hazel Mae was no where on TV at the time it was like she was on a leave of absence.... And a source of mine had told me prior to Burke being let go, that he had heard it happened between them two, then a couple weeks later he was fired.... 

Once upon a time, posting this kind of stuff would get you a warning, if not a suspension. But whatever, I don't put stock in these types of rumors and I'll leave it to those who do to sling the mud around.

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Once upon a time, posting this kind of stuff would get you a warning, if not a suspension. But whatever, I don't put stock in these types of rumors and I'll leave it to those who do to sling the mud around.

Wow that's your response, from saying maybe have an open mind....  Hey it may of never happened, but it may of happened, everyone has a right to their opinion and if you don't agree with it that's your choice, try leaving it at that for future.

13 hours ago, shiznak said:

So AA's plan was to have Price and not Estrada? And he traded Thor for Dickey? Glad he's not our GM anymore.

Seriously what's with the hard on people have for AA... I'd rather Shapiro and Atkins. They built a pretty damn good team in Cleveland and will keep Toronto competitive. As for them not offering Price a contract, maybe it has something to do with him doing f*** all for us in the playoffs.

Edited by Xbox

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed, and the real test for Shapiro will be what he does this winter, not last. I succumbed to the Price hype during the regular season last year, but after watching him pitch in the playoffs I felt it was money better spent elsewhere for a team not operating under an internal cap of some sort.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Agreed, and the real test for Shapiro will be what he does this winter, not last. I succumbed to the Price hype during the regular season last year, but after watching him pitch in the playoffs I felt it was money better spent elsewhere for a team not operating under an internal cap of some sort.

Agreed 100%. It'll be a real test.

And if I'm the owner, I'd be much more willing to let a guy like Shapiro spend money over AA. All Alex wanted to do was trade the farm and overpay for free agents/pending free agents. I can see why ownership was losing faith in him tbh.

I was a bit nervous when Gibby pulled Happ 88 pitches in yesterday - I've always been an advocate of using as few arms as possible - and don't go looking for a guy having a bad day (which is bound to happen when you leaf through a handful of relievers) - but the pen came up solid again yesterday.

Nothing was sweeter than Odor whiffing with no one out in the 9th, running in sp, while representing the tying run.

Not exactly measuring up to JoeyBats.

2 hours ago, Xbox said:

So AA's plan was to have Price and not Estrada? And he traded Thor for Dickey? Glad he's not our GM anymore.

Seriously what's with the hard on people have for AA... I'd rather Shapiro and Atkins. They built a pretty damn good team in Cleveland and will keep Toronto competitive. As for them not offering Price a contract, maybe it has something to do with him doing f*** all for us in the playoffs.

Not knowing the seasons Estrada and Price had this year, who would you rather have? A guy who is consistently in the running for the Cy or a guy who had one career year, whose been pitching out of the bullpen throughout his career?

Okay, he didn't have a great playoff as a Jay, but without Price is was highly unlikely the Jays would even make the playoffs last year, let alone win the AL division. Don't forget he pitched two crucial games against the Yankees that vaulted the Jays to first place.

Edited by shiznak

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

I think a lot of the hype was that you knew the high quality regular season innings Price would eat.  Last year the Jays average-bullpen-at-best was over used and going into this year it looked like it could be even worse with Happ, Estrada, Sanchez, and Stroman just not proven anywhere near 200 innings.  Hindsight being 20/20 as always, all those starters went beyond expectations and gave the Blue Jays the most innings out of their starters than any team, which kept the bullpen fresh until September (but September was a case of the offence not helping out the bullpen, not the starters).

There was also a sense from the fans going into this season that both Edwin and Jose, will most likely walk after the season is over. So, it was pretty much their last chance of having this "super team" of talent playing for a World Series.

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Not knowing the seasons Estrada and Price had this year, who would you rather have? A guy who is consistently in the running for the Cy or a guy who had one career year, whose been pitching out of the bullpen throughout his career?

Okay, he didn't have a great playoff as a Jay, but without Price is was highly unlikely the Jays would even make the playoffs last year, let alone win the AL division. Don't forget he pitched two crucial games against the Yankees that vaulted the Jays to first place.

I would have picked Price last November, but not now. The people managing teams know a lot more about this than I do though. We made the playoffs this year without Price and I am very happy we have such a strong starting rotation that all combined makes less than him. Thankfully Shapiro/Atkins knew not to spend that much on Price unlike AA.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

There was also a sense from the fans going into this season that both Edwin and Jose, will most likely walk after the season is over. So, it was pretty much their last chance of having this "super team" of talent playing for a World Series.

I'm still optimistic about keeping them but if they both walk oh boy are things going to get ugly. Rogers told Shapiro in August to "spend what it takes to keep this team competitive" so lets just wait and see.

Edited by Xbox

18 hours ago, shiznak said:

He didn't have a great playoff as an anything.

And I said it at the time, I didn't want to spend 30 million dollars per year for the term that Price was going to command. It doesn't look horrible this year (although it doesn't look great, either) but it's just going to keep getting worse as the years go by.

The Red Sox can afford an albatross contract. The Jays can't.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Xbox said:

I'm still optimistic about keeping them but if they both walk oh boy are things going to get ugly. Rogers told Shapiro in August to "spend what it takes to keep this team competitive" so lets just wait and see.

I think if anyone stays, it will be Edwing.

That being said, I'm not optimistic about keeping either of them. (or Saunders, for that matter) As much as I'd love to have them back, their respective contract situations put them in the same position that Price was last year. You might get a year or two of value, but the back end of those new deals are going to be millstones.

I suggested this earlier in this thread and I still think it makes some sense:

The Jays should embrace the Kansas City / San Francisco model. They have a terrific starting rotation already. With Dickey's departure in the off season, they might need to replace an arm. (athough they have Liriano signed for one more season) They'll need an upgrade of one or two arms in the bullpen. Brett Cecil is a Free Agent, but I think they try to re-sign him. The Jays need more lefties, not less and Cecil had a sub-par season that had as much to do with an early season injury as it did anything else. I think he's due for a bounce back season and this is actually the ideal time for his contract to come up.

Another free agent reliever that I'd look at if I were the Jays is Koji Uehara.

The Jays will lose a lot of RBI is Jose, Edwing and Saunders leave, but there's still a decent amount of power in the middle of the lineup, with JD, Martin and Tulo. Bossman and Smoak will be expected to help in that regard.

The thing that the Jays will need to find is a true leadoff hitter. They need someone who can get on base, (which means he has to be able to take a walk) and steal bases. A lot of people are slotting Travis into the lead off spot and I think he's okay for the current edition of the Jays, but to me, he's better suited to the number 2 slot. His ability to go off-field is a bonus, when you have a man being held on first. He's also well suited to the hit-and-run, IMO.

Even though the AL East ballparks are all built for power lineups, I think the Jays could filed a competitive lineup with a change of philosophy and they won't have to mortgage their future to make it happen.

22 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Wow that's your response, from saying maybe have an open mind....  Hey it may of never happened, but it may of happened, everyone has a right to their opinion and if you don't agree with it that's your choice, try leaving it at that for future.

You're missing the point Chuck. I wasn't saying it to be insulting. I was just pointing something out that may save you some grief.

Unless the board rules have changed, you aren't supposed to post hearsay about the private lives of the people being discussed on these forums, even if they're TV personalities. As I recall, there were warnings handed out when the Kelser-Schneider rumors were circulating.

It seems like the board rules have relaxed a bit over the years, so you're probably fine. It was more a head's up. It only takes one Mod to decide you've crossed a line...