The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Comentary was quite different, but a fair amount too chatty.

I liked some of the data/stats that the group provided, and they all sounded more pumped to be doing the broadcast.

Also having a traditionalist arguing with a dude that wants to go to 7 innings for all games and other "innovations" got tiring.

However I missed the silence the regular guys use to build the suspense of the pitch

I was watching the Habs - Bolts on TV at the same time, so I didn't have the audio on.....sounds like I didn't really miss anything....

On 6/30/2021 at 3:33 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

I suppose would could afford to move prospects, but unless we dealt some highly touted players, I still don't see how we get much value in return.

That aside, the question of moving Gurriel instead of Grichuk is a valid one. Personally, I think Gurriel has yet to reach his ceiling, while I believe we are seeing Grichuk's right now. Grich is the better outfielder all around, but an arm like Gurriel's doesn't come along very often.

If it were up to me, I would keep Lourdes, but there is an argument to made for keeping Grichuk instead. We can agree to disagree on that.

I would package Dolis with a prospect to hopefully get an upgraded pitcher in return, and possibly do the same with another pitcher who could be moved for an upgrade. That's a possibility of two new pitchers losing a couple prospects, but not losing any bats as well. 

Gurriel is 27, Grichuk is 29 looking at their career WAR Gurriel is a 3.4 and Grichuk is a 11.2, Grichuk based on these numbers alone is still the best option out of the two of them, this why I would keep Grichuk, and hope for a good return on Gurriel and use his age as a good selling point, losing that arm does hurt though. 

Davis imo is not someone that can be relied on, I would be moving him with a package deal and maybe help save from trading Gurriel then. But if I had to pick between Grichuk or Gurriel to help improve a trade for pitching then I would pick Gurriel, agree to disagree. 

On 6/30/2021 at 3:59 PM, Sean Monahan said:

Offence is definitely not the problem this season, and that’s without Springer in the lineup (far, far superior bat to Grichuk). If they want to compete they absolutely need to upgrade the bullpen in a hurry. Like yesterday. 

Definitely agree if they want to compete they need to improve the bullpen, they needed to do it before the season started and failed at it tbh. I strongly believe without Grichuk in the lineup the Jays don't win as many games losing his bat and run support is valuable especially down in the lineup, it's to valuable to lose imo, but there are other options I believe, it's just if this management can pull it off or not.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

On 6/30/2021 at 6:32 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Anyone been following the Trevor Bauer allegations? Seems like if he isn't in significant legal/criminal jeopardy his reputation is shot. Reads a lot like the Jian Ghomeshi stuff from 5-6 years ago.

Disturbing details emerge in Trevor Bauer assault allegations

Warning: The following article contains graphic allegations of domestic violence and sexual assault.

One day after news broke that Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer had been accused of assault, details of his accuser's account of their interactions has surfaced.

A domestic violence restraining order filed against Bauer and executed on Monday was obtained by The Athletic's Brittany Ghiroli and Katie Strang. The 67-page document reportedly contains detailed descriptions of two sexual encounters the woman says turned violent, with accompanying graphic images of injuries to her head and body.

The alleged victim was granted a temporary domestic violence restraining order in Los Angeles on Tuesday, with police still investigating the case. MLB said it became aware of the allegations on Tuesday and would look into them.

What Trevor Bauer is accused of doing

In the document obtained by The Athletic, the woman reportedly claims she met Bauer through Instagram, then drove from San Diego to Los Angeles to meet him on April 21. The pair reportedly had sex she described as initially consensual, with Bauer asking her if she had ever been choked. She reportedly said yes, at which point she says Bauer put his hands around her neck and applied light pressure.

The woman reportedly alleges Bauer then put his fingers down her throat, at which point she asked him to stop. Bauer reportedly did, but then she says he wrapped her hair around her neck and choked her unconsciousness without asking for consent.

She says she woke up face down on the bed to Bauer having anal sex with her, something she reportedly never consented to. The woman said she was bleeding from her anus and barely able to walk after, but did not think he was a threat to do anything against her will for the remainder of the night.

The woman claims she told Bauer she didn't enjoy him having anal sex with her the following morning, something she said he seemed to understand.

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - JUNE 12: Trevor Bauer #27 of the Los Angeles Dodgers looks on after giving up a hit to Joey Gallo #13 of the Texas Rangers during the fifth inning at Dodger Stadium on June 12, 2021 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Katelyn Mulcahy/Getty Images)

A woman says she had two sexual encounters with Trevor Bauer, with both resulting in violence to which she did not consent. (Photo by Katelyn Mulcahy/Getty Images)

Bauer allegedly invited the woman to his house again on May 15 and asked her to agree on a safe word. Five minutes into sex, she claims he started choking her again to the point of unconsciousness. When she awoke, she says Bauer was punching her head several times, with blows to her left jaw, left side of her head and both cheekbones. After punching her, she says he flipped her onto her stomach and choked her again to unconsciousness.

The woman says she started crying and shaking violently when she woke up with pain behind both her ears, to which Bauer allegedly reacted by repeatedly saying “You’re safe. I’m here. You’re safe.” He then allegedly scratched her back and whispered to her “I would never do those things to you if it wasn’t sexually.”

To back up her account, the woman reportedly provided multiple pictures to the court showing her face visibly bruised with two black eyes, a bloodied lip and scratches to the side of her face. She has also reportedly provided text messages and voicemails from Bauer afterward to the court.

The woman reportedly underwent two medical evaluations following her second encounter with Bauer, including a trip to the emergency room a day after the second encounter where she underwent rapid CT scans of her brain, face and neck. She said her medical notes indicated “significant head and facial trauma” with signs of a basilar skull fracture.

Pasadena police investigating Bauer

After giving an account of her time with Bauer to an emergency room psychiatrist and doctor, the woman reportedly met with multiple detectives with the San Diego Police Department. She says she initially downplayed the incident as "rough sex" and didn't provide Bauer's name due to fear of potential repercussions.

From The Athletic:

“I was afraid what Trevor would do if he found out,” the woman said in her account. “I remain afraid that Trevor will find me and hurt me for going to the hospital.”

The Pasadena Police Department reportedly directed the woman to text Bauer, who was allegedly texting the woman "nonstop" asking about her well-being, and ask to speak over the phone. As the police recorded the call, she reportedly asked him "What did you do to me when I was unconscious?" Bauer allegedly admitted to repeatedly punching her in the buttocks, but changed the subject when she told him she did not consent to that.

A Pasadena police officer confirmed to The Athletic that the matter is still under active investigation, but the woman said in her account that she was concerned about the pace of the investigation:

“I am deeply concerned that no arrest has been made or charges filed,” she said in the document.

“One of the last text messages I sent him was, ‘I appreciate all of your offers to help, but the best way you can help me is to never do that to anyone else ever again.’ To this, Trevor responded, ‘I would never do anything to hurt anyone. That includes you.’”

Bauer's side of the story

Minutes after posting an initial report on the allegations against Bauer, a statement from Bauer's agent Jon Fetterolf was sent to Yahoo Sports addressing the allegations. Here is the full statement, in which it is conceded Bauer had rough sex with the woman, but claimed that it was all consensual.

The statement initially included the last name of the alleged victim, which was included in her filing with the Los Angeles Superior Court, but Yahoo Sports has chosen to withhold her name:

Mr. Bauer had a brief and wholly consensual sexual relationship initiated by [the alleged victim] beginning in April 2021. We have messages that show [the alleged victim] repeatedly asking for “rough” sexual encounters involving requests to be “choked out” and slapped in the face. In both of their encounters, [the alleged victim] drove from San Diego to Mr. Bauer’s residence in Pasadena, Calif. where she went on to dictate what she wanted from him sexually and he did what was asked. Following each of her only two meetings with Mr. Bauer, [the alleged victim] spent the night and left without incident, continuing to message Mr. Bauer with friendly and flirtatious banter. In the days following their second and final encounter, [the alleged victim] shared photos of herself and indicated that she had sought medical care for a concussion. Mr. Bauer responded with concern and confusion, and [the alleged victim] was neither angry nor accusatory.

Mr. Bauer and [the alleged victim] have not corresponded in over a month and have not seen each other in over six weeks. Her basis for filing a protection order is nonexistent, fraudulent, and deliberately omits key facts, information, and her own relevant communications. Any allegations that the pair’s encounters were not 100% consensual are baseless, defamatory, and will be refuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Marc Garelick, a lawyer representing the woman, said in his own statement that they anticipate criminal action being taken against Bauer.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It was on Youtube. Not sure why SNET didn't have it, unless it's some kind of contract that Youtube has for exclusive rights.

I found the link on MBL.com and apparently, they do a "game of the week" every week. Buck mentioned it on Tuesday night's broadcast, so I was kind of looking for it, but I didn't see much promotion other than that.

My monitor has better resolution than my TV, so the picture was great, but I ran into buffering issues a couple of times and had to restart the feed. There was one stretch where a Mariner hit a slow ground ball to short and the screen froze just as Bichette was getting ready to scoop it.....buy the time I had everything reset, Gurriel had just hit a homer to tie it at 6-6....

This will probably go into the books as another loss for the bullpen, but for my money, this loss is on the hitters. Even though they scored six runs, time and again they failed to produce when they had golden opportunities. (1 run on a Sac fly, when they had bases loaded, nobody out) In fact, they looked a lot like last year's Jays. Far too may swings at pitcher's pitches, when they were in hitter's counts...

Now I look and see that they're down by four in the 6th....

From my experience in the past while watching live feeds online and depending on the Internet you have with the amount of devices running on it at a time, but the video for those are normally set to auto 1080p, so it will try to give you the top quality picture all the time, but if the Internet is being used elsewhere or isn't the strongest buffering and freezing will happen a lot. If you change the video quality to 720p instead of auto it still looks great but it should help with the buffering and freezing issues in the future, and if it still happens try 420p that should work there, but that would then mean you need stronger Internet :lol:

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

From my experience in the past while watching live feeds online and depending on the Internet you have with the amount of devices running on it at a time, but the video for those are normally set to auto 1080p, so it will try to give you the top quality picture all the time, but if the Internet is being used elsewhere or isn't the strongest buffering and freezing will happen a lot. If you change the video quality to 720p instead of auto it still looks great but it should help with the buffering and freezing issues in the future, and if it still happens try 420p that should work there, but that would then mean you need stronger Internet :lol:

It's the internet 100%....

I live in one of the very few places where the city actually owns the internet infrastructure. We've been dealing with substandard service here for years...

• Vintage 1

Plaschke: MLB cannot let Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer start Sunday

Bill Plaschke
Thu, July 1, 2021, 8:53 PM

Los Angeles Dodgers starting pitcher Trevor Bauer (27) throws during the first inning.

Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer (27) is scheduled to start Sunday against the Washington Nationals. (Ashley Landis / Associated Press)

The following column includes graphic details of sexual assault allegations.

Trevor Bauer will take the mound for the Dodgers on Sunday in Washington against the Nationals.

“Trevor began punching my face.”

Bauer will take the mound with a sterling eight wins, a sparkling 2.59 ERA, and a league-leading 137 strikeouts.

“Trevor then punched me hard with a closed fist to the left side of my jaw, the left side of my head, and both cheekbones ... after punching me several times, he then flipped me back onto my stomach, and began choking me with hair.”

Bauer will take the mound having pitched a team-high 107 2/3 innings as one of the cornerstones of a Dodgers pitching staff that leads baseball with a 3.19 ERA.

“[Bauer] began putting his fingers down my throat in an aggressive manner ... he wrapped my hair around my neck and choked me ... I lost consciousness ... I woke up face down on the bed, disoriented. I began realizing that he was having sex with me in my anus, which I never communicated that I wanted, nor did I consent.”

Bauer will take the mound with a $40 million salary this season, making him the highest paid player on the defending World Series champions.

“I agreed to have consensual sex, however, I did not agree or consent to what he did next. I did not agree to be sexually assaulted.”

Why is Trevor Bauer still taking the mound?

In the wake of chilling declarations contained in the shocking domestic violence restraining order request filed this week by a woman against Bauer, why is Major League Baseball allowing its product to be stained, one its marquee franchises to be embarrassed, and an alleged batterer to be empowered?

Bauer needs to be benched. He needs to be benched now. Pitching for the Dodgers and representing the city of Los Angeles is not a right, but a privilege. Based on the accusations and evidence contained in the restraining order request, Bauer has, at the very least, badly abused that privilege.

While police say Bauer is under investigation for felony assault, no arrests have been made, no charges have been filed and he is obviously constitutionally deserving of the presumption of innocence. His agent argues text messages the Los Angeles Times have not authenticated indicate she asked to be choked and hit. But MLB doesn’t operate like a court of law. While the Dodgers are prohibited by the league’s collectively bargained domestic violence policy from taking any action, MLB can place Bauer on paid administrative leave for seven days while it investigates, with the possibility of extending that time with the cooperation of the union.

The league needs to make that move now. The league cannot let Bauer take the mound on Sunday. Bauer can challenge the decision, but the league needs to do it anyway. If he pitches, what should solely be a July 4 celebration of the greatness of America will also become an example of the insensitivity of an America that casually dismisses domestic violence accusations.

While the baseball culture still too often ignores sexual harassment — witness the repeated high-level hiring of former Angels pitching coach Mickey Callaway before he was finally dismissed this season — the current MLB domestic violence policy has some teeth. Since 2015, players have been suspended from 15 games to an entire season. This includes the Dodgers’ Julio Urías being suspended for 20 games in 2019 after witnesses said he shoved his girlfriend to the ground in a parking lot. There were no charges filed in that incident, but Urias was initially placed on that seven-day administrative leave, and that’s what baseball needs to do here.

It’s only a week, but MLB can use that time to drag Bauer out of the spotlight and dig for the facts. Listen equally to the accuser and the accused. Ignore the stereotypes. Don’t be swayed by Bauer’s powerful lawyers and strong social media presence or the woman's attorneys. Find the truth.

Such an investigation will obviously take longer than seven days, and chances are great that Bauer returns to the mound in a week like nothing happened. But a statement will have been made, and the digging will continue. Considering studies show that only 5% of rape allegations are found to be false, MLB needs to embark on this journey, no matter how ugly it might get.

The 67-page document was filed by a 27-year-old San Diego woman in Los Angeles Superior Court on Tuesday. It references two undisputed sexual encounters between the two parties in Bauer’s Pasadena residence after they met on Instagram two months ago. When the report is combined with responses from Bauer’s representatives, including supporting text messages, it initially appears to be a classic case of he said, she said.

He said she asked for rough sex. She said he became invasive and abusive. He said he would never do anything to hurt anyone. She said she never agreed to choking, gagging and sodomy.

“I had a terrible pain behind both of my ears,” she wrote of their second encounter. “I tasted blood in my mouth and felt that my lip was split open. My whole body hurt and I could not even tell if he was having sex with me.”

Certainly, this will be easily dismissed by some as little more than regrets after kinky sex, especially considering there were multiple consenting encounters. There will be questions as to why the woman would return to Bauer's home. There will be the larger question of why anyone should care about the private activities of consenting adults.

But in the woman's declaration, there’s more than just vivid accusations. There was a copy from Alvarado Hospital Medical Center's report from a May 17 visit in which she was diagnosed with “Acutecq head injury" and “assault by manual strangulation.” And there were multiple accompanying photos of her with two black eyes, a bloody lip, a swollen jaw and a badly scratched face.

OK MLB, have you seen enough?

If this restraining order request and declaration were filed against a regular employee of a regular company, that person would be thrown out of the office pending an investigation or even fired.

If Trevor Bauer worked in the real world, given his history of harassing women online — a history the Dodgers were criticized for minimalizing when they signed him — he would probably be fired on the spot.

But he is a major league pitcher.

And he takes the mound for the Dodgers on Sunday.

Unless MLB finds its spine and stops him.

This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times.

There's certainly enough there (medical report detailing serious injuries) to suspend him pending an investigation.

Get your sh** together MLB.

Remember Bauer throwing the ball over the center field fence after he saw Terry Francona coming out to give him the hook after he gave up a bunch of runs and a big lead?

Seems like there are some definite issues there.....

BTW: Best line ever after that throw: "Angel Hernandez called it a strike"....:lol:

• Haha 1

BTW: Three Jays named All-Star starters. Vladdy and Semien were expected, but Teo sneaks in ahead of Buxton for the final outfield spot.

I think Bichette stands a decent chance of being named a reserve as well. (Unless they decide there are already enough Jays on the roster)

This whole Bauer thing is disgusting imo, I see MLB put him on a 7 day administrative leave, but seriously people who are into this kind of fetish assault crap in society is what's wrong to begin with. And then the fact that this lady went back a 2nd time for more punishment after not consenting to the things that happened the first time after bleeding, makes me question her motive now, but still don't agree with what Bauer is allowed to do because society labels this assault stuff as a fetish to get away with it, but there's something wrong in these peoples heads imo. 

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Surprised Hernandez was named a starter over Mullins.

Trout will most likely not play. So, you would have to think Mullins replaces Trout.

Yeah....I guess leading the league in hits doesn't count for as much as it used to....:unsure:

Nobody in Baltimore votes anymore?

Just saw that the Twins have DFA'd Matt Shoemaker, who has really struggled so far this season....

I wonder if the Jays take a shot at a reclamation project with him. Maybe long relief? I bet they could even get the Twinkies to retain salary....

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Mid 7 Minoah, likely done with 10 k and 3 hit, shutout.

Was gonna say you jinxed the no-no earlier, but NBD. A great outing from Alek, anyway.

It's impressive and yet mildly infuriating that this team is only 3 games above .500 despite having a +74 run differential (including today's current score).

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1