The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

To put into perspective on how bad the offence has been for the Jays. In the last 7 games, they have scored, a combined 17 runs. 

St. Louis, alone, scored 18 runs today.

Edited by shiznak

Donaldson gets a one game suspension for calling a player "Jackie" even though that player has an interview where he compares himself to -Jackie.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/mlb-suspends-donaldson-for-1-game-for-jackie-comment/ar-AAXDflM?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=942fd3faf1714971bf8f9adc8140e544

EW YORK (AP) — Major League Baseball suspended Josh Donaldson for one game Monday after the New York Yankees slugger made multiple references to Jackie Robinson while talking to White Sox star Tim Anderson during the weekend.

Donaldson also was fined an undisclosed amount for his actions Saturday at Yankee Stadium. The punishment was announced by Michael Hill, the senior vice president of on-field operations for MLB.

Donaldson has elected to appeal the penalty. Shortly before the suspension was announced, the Yankees said Donaldson had been put on the COVID-19 injured list.

“MLB has completed the process of speaking to the individuals involved in this incident. There is no dispute over what was said on the field. Regardless of Mr. Donaldson’s intent, the comment he directed toward Mr. Anderson was disrespectful and in poor judgment, particularly when viewed in the context of their prior interactions," Hill said in a statement.

“In addition, Mr. Donaldson’s remark was a contributing factor in a bench-clearing incident between the teams, and warrants discipline,” he said.

AL East-leading New York is scheduled to open a three-game series against Baltimore on Monday night and then head to Tampa Bay for a four-game set beginning on Thursday.

Donaldson said he twice called Anderson by “Jackie” — as in Robinson, who famously broke MLB’s color barrier in 1947 — during the Yankees’ 7-5 win on Saturday. The benches and bullpens emptied as tensions escalated.

Anderson, one of baseball’s leading Black voices and an All-Star shortstop, said it was a "disrespectful comment.” White Sox manager Tony La Russa said it was racist, and Anderson agreed.

“Basically, it was trying to call me Jackie Robinson. Like, ‘What’s up, Jackie?’” Anderson said after Saturday's game.

Donaldson, who is white, said he had used the “Jackie” reference in the past with Anderson, who had said he viewed himself as a potential modern-day Robinson in a 2019 interview with Sports Illustrated.

“My meaning of that is not any term trying to be racist  by any fact of the matter,” Donaldson said Saturday.

Anderson and Donaldson, the 2015 AL MVP, did not speak with the media on Sunday, when the White Sox swept a doubleheader at Yankee Stadium. Through a Yankees spokesman, Donaldson said he hadn't talked with Anderson since the incident.

Anderson started the second game and was booed by fans, with some chanting “Jackie” at him. He hit a three-run homer in the eighth inning of a 5-0 win and then put his finger to his lips in a hushing gesture as he rounded the bases.

Yankees manager Aaron Boone said he talked to Donaldson after Saturday’s game and believed his player’s explanation for why he made the “Jackie” remark — but he also said he thought Donaldson shouldn’t have used the term.

“I think with what’s going on between the two players and between the two teams over the last week or two, I certainly understand how that would be sensitive and understand the reaction,” Boone said. “I also understand Josh has been very forthcoming with the history of it and the context of it. So I don’t believe there was any malicious intent in that regard.”

“But this is just my opinion — (that’s) somewhere he should not be going,” he said.

Donaldson had clashed with the White Sox on multiple occasions before this weekend.

The benches also emptied on May 13 after Anderson shoved Donaldson following a hard tag in Chicago.

White Sox ace Lucas Giolito used an expletive in calling Donaldson a “pest” last year after Donaldson appeared to yell “Not sticky anymore!” after a first-inning homer for Minnesota — a reference to MLB cracking down on pitchers using sticky substances on baseballs.

The 36-year-old Donaldson is batting .238 with five home runs and 15 RBIs in 37 games during his first season with the Yankees.

Boone said Donaldson told the team he was experiencing symptoms, prompting the team to put him on the COVID-19 injured list. He had not been tested, Boone said.

Donaldson became the third Yankees player to go on the COVID-19 IL in the last two days. Before Sunday’s doubleheader, Joey Gallo and Kyle Higashioka were placed on the list.

The White Sox had a day off Monday.

15 hours ago, shiznak said:

To put into perspective on how bad the offence has been for the Jays. In the last 7 games, they have scored, a combined 17 runs. 

St. Louis, alone, scored 18 runs today.

I've been wondering about this for a while now...at what point do you move on from Guillermo Martinez? It's basically been 2 months now of poor hitting approaches by everyone not named Santiago Espinal....

You can't trade the entire team, so how long do you wait? I expected them to start turning things around a few weeks ago....

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've been wondering about this for a while now...at what point do you move on from Guillermo Martinez? It's basically been 2 months now of poor hitting approaches by everyone not named Santiago Espinal....

You can't trade the entire team, so how long do you wait? I expected them to start turning things around a few weeks ago....

Listening to Dan and Tabby and I'm getting a bit tired of hearing "It's ok to swing at the first pitch".

I think it is ok to swing at the first pitch if you've actually been hitting the first pitch.

This year they are not hitting it, and they SUCK at hitting with risp.

1/4 through the season, 7 games behind the Yankees, 5 behind Tampa.

I think the team needs to do something that tells the player's the organization won't let a season slip away.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Listening to Dan and Tabby and I'm getting a bit tired of hearing "It's ok to swing at the first pitch".

I think it is ok to swing at the first pitch if you've actually been hitting the first pitch.

This year they are not hitting it, and they SUCK at hitting with risp.

1/4 through the season, 7 games behind the Yankees, 5 behind Tampa.

I think the team needs to do something that tells the player's the organization won't let a season slip away.

How many times is the first pitch out of the zone (don't know myself, genuinely curious). It feels like most of their Ks are coming from swinging at pitches that are away (especially down and away) and they're so off-balance they fall across the plate. 

EDIT: Basically exactly what Springer just did. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Upvote 1

On 5/22/2022 at 8:53 AM, shiznak said:

Hot take: Robinson wasn’t THAT great of a baseball player, certainly not at the same level as a Trout, Prime Pujols, or even Prime Ichiro. So, Anderson comparing himself to Robinson isn’t out of the ordinary.

In matter of fact, if you compare Robinson’s first MVP season to Anderson’s last year stats, it’s pretty similar, aside from the RBIs and batting average. Although you have to factor in that hitting back in the 40s was way easier. Pitchers weren’t throwing 95+ mph heat and only had like 3 pitches in their arsenal. Anderson also played 25+ less games and had 60+ less at bats. 

You can say there’s like 5+ Jackie Robinsons playing in today’s game. 

I don't think that people who are bothered by the comparison are bothered because of the quality of the player... I can run about as fast as Terry Fox, but I'm not going to compare myself to him either. 

32 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

How many times is the first pitch out of the zone (don't know myself, genuinely curious). It feels like most of their Ks are coming from swinging at pitches that are away (especially down and away) and they're so off-balance they fall across the plate. 

I can understand , a bit,  them swinging at the away and low, because so many umps are calling them strikes.

Ticks me of seeing the graphic of pitch after pitch being 1.5 inches out, yet still get called a strike.

I know this is going to sound like a tall tale, but I swear that when Vladdy came up with the bases loaded, I said to myself, "ground ball to Arenado on the first pitch".

It wasn't even a bad pitch to swing at. He's just rolling over everything on the inner half and every pitcher in the league knows it....:wacko:

19 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I'm not making excuses, but part of the blame here goes to the umpires....Vladdy especially has been victimized on several called strikes that were at least 3 inches outside. When that happens, you feel like you need to swing at everything on the outer edge and it leaves you very vulnerable to the slider away...

Last night was the first time in ages I've seen an umpire call those pitches balls. (as he should) I didn't catch the HP umps name, but he was very good last night. He had a tight strike zone, but but he was consistent both ways and I can't say that I saw more than a handful of calls that might have been wrong. In fact, I'd argue that the bases loaded situation that the Jays got in the 7th, doesn't happen with the majority of HP umps they've seen this season.

This isn't to excuse the poor hitting to this point. Major league hitters need to adjust, but the guys in blue need to clean up their act as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This isn't to excuse the poor hitting to this point. Major league hitters need to adjust, but the guys in blue need to clean up their act as well.

How long before the robots take over?

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/mlb-robot-umpires-triple-a-1.6322037#:~:text=MLB-,Robot umpires behind home plate called up to triple-A,level of the minor leagues.

5-2 Jays in the bottom of the 6th....really hope the Jays can close the deal here as this had to be a long shot going into the game.

Ryu against Ohtani. I don't know what the betting line was, but I have to believe it was pretty heavy in the Angels' favor...

• Upvote 2