The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The guy I'm really disappointed in right now is Tulo. I can't remember that last time he delivered a clutch hit. Man on third and one out, you have to get that run home.

It's like Tabby said: In the same situation, Beltre cut down his swing and made sure he hit the ball to the middle of the field. It's fundamental baseball and too many of the Jays are still swinging for the fences when the situation dictates otherwise.

Pillar gets worse as bigger bats step into the lineup and he tries to match them swing-for-swing.

If Jeff Bagwell was able to make the Hall of Fame with a few years of eligibility to spare, why is Larry Walker so far from a possibility based on voting as it stands?

Seems silly.

Edit: Not that Bagwell is worse, or undeserving, but Walker had a similar type of career, with similar, if not greater, accolades.

Edited by g_bassi13

9 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The guy I'm really disappointed in right now is Tulo. I can't remember that last time he delivered a clutch hit. Man on third and one out, you have to get that run home.

It's like Tabby said: In the same situation, Beltre cut down his swing and made sure he hit the ball to the middle of the field. It's fundamental baseball and too many of the Jays are still swinging for the fences when the situation dictates otherwise.

I've given up on the return of Rockies' Tulo a long time ago. I mean, what happened to this guy? He was still an elite baseball player before he was traded. I gave him a pass when he arrived and all of the first half of the year, last season, but this is his second year in the AL. He should be at least getting on base (career .900 OBP) or hitting above .270 (career .290). He isn't exactly old for a baseball player, either. Should still have a few good years ahead of him. 

17 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I've given up on the return of Rockies' Tulo a long time ago. I mean, what happened to this guy? He was still an elite baseball player before he was traded. I gave him a pass when he arrived and all of the first half of the year, last season, but this is his second year in the AL. He should be at least getting on base (career .900 OBP) or hitting above .270 (career .290). He isn't exactly old for a baseball player, either. Should still have a few good years ahead of him. 

Some guys just never get comfortable with switching to a different league. I was hopeful that Tulo would eventually return to form, but I was also afraid that it might never happen, which is why I wasn't against exploring a trade last off-season, when his value was still relatively high.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Some guys just never get comfortable with switching to a different league. I was hopeful that Tulo would eventually return to form, but I was also afraid that it might never happen, which is why I wasn't against exploring a trade last off-season, when his value was still relatively high.

That really never cross my mind, because Tulo was such an elite hitter, not just power wise, but just putting contact on the ball.

7 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I'm too busy being seasick over the ups and downs of this season's Giants' team to pay attention to the Dodgers (...ick...).

regards,  G.

I don't actually follow any other teams tbh, just the occasional player who stands out.

Regarding Tulo, if some remember I mentioned many times how I wouldn't mind trading Tulo for pitching and having Goins and Travis up the middle that was the future. Although it was also Goins bat that struggled which made sense to keep Tulo, but this year Goins is proving he can hit, so he makes Tulo now expendable for sure. But then again Travis maybe done for his career soon, he can't stay healthy kind of reminds me a bit of Josh Hamilton.

11 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Donaldson out with left knee soreness. 

It has been interesting to watch the different swings of Donaldson versus Pearce. The former is all hips, little wrist/forearm movement. The former is virtually all wrists and forearms.

Not sure if you saw it but Donaldson has had a segment or two on TV where he talks about his swing, approach, philosophy, etc. It's unlike anything I've ever heard before. Also a horrible way to teach kids to hit IMO, and with him being a star on the lone Canadian team every dam kid I coach is now out there trying to emulate him. Obviously it works for him, there's no denying that, but he's got hours upon hours to work on his swing as well as years of professional strength training to help make it work. He's one strong dude.

I have to call out Gibby and his lineup in a must win game. Martin should be catching, Barney or Goins should be playing 3rd base and the other 2nd base, Goins versus a Lefty is still a better chance at a hit then Maile so the argument for the matchup is useless. This is a prime example of a horrible manager in a must win game.

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Not sure if you saw it but Donaldson has had a segment or two on TV where he talks about his swing, approach, philosophy, etc. It's unlike anything I've ever heard before. Also a horrible way to teach kids to hit IMO, and with him being a star on the lone Canadian team every dam kid I coach is now out there trying to emulate him. Obviously it works for him, there's no denying that, but he's got hours upon hours to work on his swing as well as years of professional strength training to help make it work. He's one strong dude.

I still remember when Donaldson first came to the Jays they asked him about his swing and his response was he kind of mimics Bautistas swing, very similar this was a few years ago not sure if it has changed since, but I remember him saying that before.