The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

Vancouver Canucks just got classier and more respected.

This is key. Just getting Linden = instantaneous increase in team rep and class. That will go a long way and Trevor saying he wants just as much on ice excellence as he does off ice. Terrific to hear that from him straight away.

Trevor has power to make all decisions. Thank the heavens!

Hopefully that's the truth and he's not hiding/bluffing to please Aquilini.

Seemed to be a subtle acknowledgement from Trev that MG has not treated people the right way. Seems clear he's going to take this team in a different direction culture-wise

Yep. Can see the passion and desire Trev has being a BC native and how badly he wants this team to win. Having a guy at the top of management with that leadership and vibe will set the tone for the rest of the organization.

Linden starts with an apology....great job Trev.

That how you gain respect.

this presser scared me .. not about trevor .. he is a confident well spoken , class act who knows the game of hockey ...

seeing Aqua man .. wow .. just wow .. what a fool .. this is the guy making decisions about our hockey team .. the only decision he should make is what ice cream he will have for desert ..

Yea...Aquaman was so odd in his behaviour lol. Seemed so uncomfortable :lol:

And if Malhotra got hit in the good eye and lost his sight and was seriously injured, then that would make MIke a 'good man' then? If Malhotra had played with the Canucks and been seriously injured, then Gillis would have been crucified. Gillis decided Malhotra would not be taking that risk on his watch, but what did he do to prevent Malhotra from playing for another team? .. Nothing that I know of, he just felt he could not, in all conscience, allow that to happen with the Canucks.

Picture the headline if Manny had been severely injured while playing for the Canucks AFTER Gillis was given the medical diagnosis .. he was in a no-win situation. To judge someone poorly for attempting to safeguard another human beings well-being seems wrong!

Any other examples?

If you don't get that one you just won't get it. You don't play a hockey player 100 games and then suddenly decide to shut him down when your at game 9 of the season and Ryan Kesler is magically returning and you're in self bought cap trouble. Well actually that's fine as Manny wasn't cutting it. you just don't be a degenerate liar and blame it on the players health when anyone that puts any thought into it can see that wasn't the case.

Disgusting, deplorable, and despicable. Hockey is a dangerous game by the way in which everyone takes on serious risks.

This impression, whether or not it's true, is exactly why I don't want this 'plan' to include trading our 2015 and 2016 1st rounders. But I can still see it happening, regardless of what I want.

...where/how in the world did you come out of everything with this? lol

My choice for GM would be Shanahan at this point.

We need someone tight with the league, he is the closest we can probably get.

We need to figure out a way to become less than 2nd class citizens... I am not one of the conspiracy against the Canucks people, but I do definitely believe that the strong Canadian markets are taken for granted and don't get the benefit of the doubt like the American ones which are needed to be pampered to improve the NHL brand and bottom line. We sell out or almost sell out all the time regardless.

I don't respect a man who stood at a podium and basically told the entire nhl that one of his player's career was over. Malhotra could have lost his opportunity to be an NHL player because of those comments by MG. He's tremendously lucky that Carolina didn't buy into Gillis's comments and gave him another chance. MG had no right to do that to one of the team's heart and soul guys. Sorry, but that's not how you treat the players

Minus 1.

That is such a crock. It's not a freakin charity and Manny had no vision in one eye. I was never a Gillis fan and I am happy to see where we go from here, but you are way off base on this. You know who agrees with me and disagrees with you? Wally Buono. Manny is lucky he has vision let alone the memories of an NHL career.

Haha, I got that too.

Touched on gaining permission to speak to people...timing.

Early to mid June targeted to have someone in place.

I'm in class so heard bits and pieces of it but not this part. Can you clarify what he said about this GM who he has in mind?

Pretty hard not to expect a Torts firing soon, given what was said (and not said) during today's presser.

Linden purposefully never mentioned Tortorella by name in discussing the team's future. Always used phrases like "the coaches" or "the coaching staff." Simply refused to discuss Torts.

Francesco went so far as to basically suggest that the firing of Gillis (and the hiring of Linden) stemmed from MG's responsibility for choosing Torts and therefore owning the failures of this coaching staff (at least according to how ownership is now framing Torts' hiring).

EDIT: I see that Tortofrazzy, Deb, and others have noticed the same thing.

Wonder what's the over under for Torts' days remaining (until fired)?

He did mention Torts at one point, noting he met with him this morning for the first time. I've always been of the mind that Torts would go before Gillis, or at least they'd both go, so I find it very hard to believe Torts will last very long after the season end reviews.

Maybe, just maybe, they wait to put a GM in place to make that decision, but I don't see Torts sticking around (and I hope we move on as well since I haven't agreed with his coaching decisions).

Have you ever asked why Gillis did that?

It wasn't an evil plan to take over the world and Manny was in trouble out there for us. Gillis himself had to be told much younger that his hockey career was over and would know how much that sucks.

Remember that he could have easily traded Manny for a late pick or something. Even Manny himself respected what Gillis was doing, why can't you?

Absolutely agreed on the Malhotra situation, I respected Gillis more for being able to make that call. Clearly it would have been very difficult for him to do so, he'd been the one to bring Manny in and he was very much a key guy in the locker room and on the ice when he was healthy.

If you don't get that one you just won't get it. You don't play a hockey player 100 games and then suddenly decide to shut him down when your at game 9 of the season and Ryan Kesler is magically returning and you're in self bought cap trouble. Well actually that's fine as Manny wasn't cutting it. you just don't be a degenerate liar and blame it on the players health when anyone that puts any thought into it can see that wasn't the case.

Disgusting, deplorable, and despicable. Hockey is a dangerous game by the way in which everyone takes on serious risks.

So, you're calling Manny a liar? But we've been over this before, maybe it's best to let it go and concentrate on Linden and what it means for us going forward.

I'm in class so heard bits and pieces of it but not this part. Can you clarify what he said about this GM who he has in mind?

He obviously did not give any clue...not prepared to do so and kept referring to the fact that he has a profile in place. That all people in the organization will have to fit within that.

My gut says Burnaby Joe (would love that). Nothing to go on, but that's just what my feeling is? Not sure how that would happen but jumped out at me.

Hard to pry him away, but who knows?

It could potentially be a long few years with these 2 bozos at the top. Hopefully he can surround himself with intelligent people. If I was them I'd be a little more hasty to get a GM in place well before the draft.

Excuse me?!?

Did you just call Linden a bozo?

I know some people will complain about Trevor Linden deflecting questions to the "Global" reporters with an outright denial that he had been contacted. You know what, the hiring process is a confidential process and you break that and blab, you've just committed a firing offense. Plus on top of that if you haven't been hired yet, it's a black-mark against you.

I don't hold anything against Trev for telling the Global people that he hadn't heard anything. I just hope that he's up to the task of managing the team. As far as I can tell from his being named as President of Hockey Operations, that he hasn't been hired as GM and the team is looking for a manager still. Bringing in Trevor was a strong move in that it gives the team some time to find an experienced GM to hold up Trevor and solidify this team.

I played competitive hockey for 35 years and don't need you or anyone lecturing about the dangers of hockey ..

If you don't 'get' what Gillis did, then you obviously are too narrow minded to see the bigger picture .. BTW .. maybe a rabies shot would fix that for ya?. hating on someone as much as you hate Gillis is not good for YOUR mental health

Still think letting Gillis go over all this was a mistake. I'd rather not have Trevor as President of Hockey Operations. No to bringing in Shanny. That's like saying the Canucks have to be someone we aren't to get what we want. We were 1 game away in 2011, and 1 away in 1994. No, of course to Feaster. I wouldn't be opposed to hiring from within the Canucks organization. Look at Toronto, look at Tambellini, look at McPhee, look at Burke, look at Quinn. The Canucks have had a lot of their former organization go and coach and manage elsewhere. The Canucks, have (which has been rather interesting), actually cultivating a successful organization since 2000 or so, with Burke. It's been a good run, and they've not missed the playoffs for more than a year in that stretch, despite losing a good season in the lockout.

This is really a different organization than it was pre 2000. Hiring someone qualified from within as a rookie GM seems to me a Linden move.

Archived