The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Habs should fire Therrien. Why would you hire and bring back recycled coach that was there before?

I don't like him or his style.

Got them into the 3rd round of the playoffs...seems to have been an OK move.

So you're saying that it's possible that if we crossover and play the Hawks it's possible that the same thing could happen? Doesn't matter now since Dreger retracted what he said and also mention Willie Desjardins as well who is someone I much prefer.

The same thing happens with every team that faces the Hawks. The Hawks are a dynasty team, they aren't a bunch of chokers or pretenders. They've beaten Boston, LA, Detroit, Philly and Canucks multiple times in the playoffs. I guess all the coaches are bad except for Queenville with that logic.

Got them into the 3rd round of the playoffs...seems to have been an OK move.

Therrien made very questionable decision to start Tokarski over Budaj but it wouldn't have mattered who was in net as the whole team hasn't played very well this series. If Price doesn't get hurt, they are likely still down 2-0 in series.

I don't believe in bringing back recycled coaches to their old teams. If it didn't work the first time around, what makes anyone think it's going to be any different the second time.

Pens made Finals and lost under Therrien with that lineup.

Dude, what are you talking about? Forsberg always had the foot issues, Kariya was not in his goal scoring prime and Arnott was never really an elite player. The Sedins have won Art Ross and were consistent goal scorers before Torts arrived. Kesler is a Selke winner and can still contribute, he had 25 or so goals this year. Burrows has had an unfortunate year with all the injuries. Trotz has made the playoffs multiple times with a team that has half the Canucks budget. I believe that he can make something happen if he is given a decent roster unlike Tortorella.

Not to jump in and sort of off topic, but Forsberg with one foot was still a top ten player.

That 2001-02 year always stood out. He didn't play a single regular season game because he was injuried, came back for game one playoffs and put up 27 points in 20 games to lead playoffs that year. What a talent

Hedman apparently has some silly ruse planned for offering some sort of non-descript cookies to CDC users with no plan to actually follow through.

I believe it may be some new form of cookie-trolling.

Lol you're the only troll in this thread. All your posts in this thread should be deleted because they don't contain any sort of substance. But i guess that's why you're the one talking about "troll-cookies", probably your favorite type of cookies... Suits ya right

Rinne was coming off of hip surgery. A healthy Rinne for the whole season would have definitely made a difference. Those two are not in the same realm as Rinne when he's healthy and going.

Tortorella got them past the first round twice, once losing to Boston in 5 in the second round. I wouldn't say he did a pretty good job, far from it. Especially considering the rosters he had during his time there, plus the best goalie in the world.

Was he coming off a hip surgery the season before as well when he was about just as average?

Anything to make Trotz sound like a better choice, right? He also made the Conference finals once, but that's not worth mentioning right? Losing to Boston is such a choke... Not like they might be the most complete team in the league. Get out.

NHL.com: Benning expected to be named Canucks GM: report

The Vancouver Canucks are expected to name Jim Benning their general manager later this week, according to a report by TSN's Darren Dreger.

Benning, 51, serves as assistant GM of the Boston Bruins, a position he has held since 2006. He won the Stanley Cup with them in 2011.

Benning played the final 241 games of his NHL career over parts of four seasons with the Canucks from 1986-1990. He was the sixth pick in the 1981 NHL Draft by the Toronto Maple Leafs and played parts of six seasons with them, scoring a career-best 12 goals and 51 points during the 1983-84 season.

After retiring, he worked as a scout for the Anaheim Ducks and Buffalo Sabres. He spent six years starting in 1998 as Buffalo's director of amateur scouting.

Benning would replace Mike Gillis, who was fired last month by Canucks president Trevor Linden. The Canucks are also searching for a coach after John Tortorella was fired following one season. Dreger reports former Nashville Predators coach Barry Trotz is high on Vancouver's list.

Trotz has been coaching Nashville for a long time and there is a reason for it. He is a pretty damn good coach, otherwise he would've been fired as quickly as Torts. I also remember CDC talking about how Trotz was one of the best coaches in the NHL alongside Babcock. You seem to be the only one here who thinks Trotz is a bad coach. I really hope we do hire Trotz, since he just seems to get the most out of his players.

You also have to remember that Nashville had that one year where they got Forsberg at trade deadline while Arnott and Kariya played there for a really short time. It isn't like all of them played for many seasons there. You seem to forget that we also had Sundin, Demitra, Kesler, Sedins, Burrows, Samuelson etc. that one year where we got eliminated in the 2nd round. Just because Nashville had a limp footed forsberg for less than half a season, it doesn't mean that they suddenly are guaranteed to win the cup or Trotz is the bad coach because of the lack of chemistry.

This.

Therrien made very questionable decision to start Tokarski over Budaj but it wouldn't have mattered who was in net as the whole team hasn't played very well this series. If Price doesn't get hurt, they are likely still down 2-0 in series.

I don't believe in bringing back recycled coaches to their old teams. If it didn't work the first time around, what makes anyone think it's going to be any different the second time.

Pens made Finals and lost under Therrien with that lineup.

If the only gauge of success is a Stanley Cup victory it is pretty hard to debate anything.

Yes. Generic statements are much more enjoyable.

The Canucks may do well with Benning, or they may not.

Those are the two options. :bigblush:

Disagree. There are many topics that could be discussed pertaining to the potential hiring of Jim Benning...

...none having anything to do with cookies...

NHL.com: Benning expected to be named Canucks GM: report

Benning would replace Mike Gillis, who was fired last month by Canucks president Trevor Linden.

It has only been a few weeks and they can't get the story right.

Disagree. There are many topics that could be discussed pertaining to the potential hiring of Jim Benning...

...none having anything to do with cookies...

I was more just laughing at the comment itself. "The Canucks will be in good hands with Jim Benning"

O....k....? Because...of...?

I'd rather talk cookies. But I was hungry...

I was more just laughing at the comment itself. "The Canucks will be in good hands with Jim Benning"

O....k....? Because...of...?

I'd rather talk cookies. But I was hungry...

Yeah, you're right about that. A pretty generic statement. But by that time I was ready for anything that turned the discussion back to the topic at hand...

Trotz has been coaching Nashville for a long time and there is a reason for it. He is a pretty damn good coach, otherwise he would've been fired as quickly as Torts. I also remember CDC talking about how Trotz was one of the best coaches in the NHL alongside Babcock. You seem to be the only one here who thinks Trotz is a bad coach. I really hope we do hire Trotz, since he just seems to get the most out of his players.

You also have to remember that Nashville had that one year where they got Forsberg at trade deadline while Arnott and Kariya played there for a really short time. It isn't like all of them played for many seasons there. You seem to forget that we also had Sundin, Demitra, Kesler, Sedins, Burrows, Samuelson etc. that one year where we got eliminated in the 2nd round. Just because Nashville had a limp footed forsberg for less than half a season, it doesn't mean that they suddenly are guaranteed to win the cup or Trotz is the bad coach because of the lack of chemistry.

Maybe not as quickly as Torts but probably the same shelf life of AV.

Archived