The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stacked Utica Team Next Year

Kevo882

Team should be exciting, but I'd say "stacked" is a little premature.

Lots of young rookies (i.e., Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox, Zalewski, and McEneny), so it's going to be an inexperienced team. As has been mentioned, it'd be good to bring back some of the AHL vets, whether as Canucks signings or Comets signings.

I petition for Bomber to come out of retirement to be player-assistant coach to help the young guys on defence.

RFAs: Kassian, Tanev, Schroeder, Weber, Dalpe, Andersson, Archibald, Cannata, Sauve, deFazio - who gets re-signed? Personally, I can see all being re-signed, or qualified (one or the other).

UFAs: Santorelli, Alberts, Biega, Ferreiro, Pelletier, Stuart, Welsh - who gets re-signed? I can see Santorelli, Biega, Ferreiro being re-signed. Pelletier would be great for AHL veteran presence, so maybe he gets re-signed by the Canucks, or he signs with Utica on an AHL contract.

If these re-signings occur, then yah, the depth on the Comets will be very good for AHL standards.

Sauve is done. Hasn't shown enough promise. If we re-sign Dalpe, it'll be two-way. Agree with the UFAs.

Shinkaruk - Pelletier - Jensen

Fox - Gaunce - O'Reilly

Archibald - Friesen - Grenier

DeFazio - Lain - Kenins

Welsh, Mallet

Cederholm - Tommernes

Sauve - Biega

Andersson - McEneny

Eriksson

Cannata

Jensen will be in Vancouver for the full year next season unless he severely underperforms.

Other more proven skilled guys who deserve the top 6 spots.

Oh really? Like who? Did you even watch zewleski play in the canucks last 2 games? He setup for 3 goals in the last one, he should be on the 2nd line in utica next year along with kenins.

Oh really? Like who? Did you even watch zewleski play in the canucks last 2 games? He setup for 3 goals in the last one, he should be on the 2nd line in utica next year along with kenins.

So your reasoning for Zalewski being in Utica's top 6 is that he played well in two games? He won't be handed a spot because of that. The team will likely have 3 veteran forwards (could involve Pelletier, O'Reilly, Ferriero, or Stuart, could be new players) plus Grenier and Archibald (maybe Jensen), and then Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and Fox who I'm sure the Canucks all want to see getting good minutes. I think Utica will see a lot of shuffling with their lines to find chemistry, so maybe Zalewski clicks with somebody and winds up in the top 6, but he's got a few players ahead of him on the depth chart. I hope he does well though, as a local kid there. Should be a fan favourite.

I just love reading how excited all of you are about your prospects playing IN UTICA! Thank YOU!

Keeping with the thoughts of resigning veterans, this Comets team would not have had the season they had WITHOUT: DeFazio, O'Reilly, Pelletier, Biega and Huskins. Of these, ALL were the spark this team needed. Their leadership combined with these incoming prospects, should make for a very exciting 2014-15 campaign.

We are now 2 weeks removed from hockey here in Utica, yet, the fans here are already talking about next season. I will try to keep you posted on the events going on in Utica that are Comets related.

Utica after all ended up in the race for the playoffs after a truly abysmal start. These guys definitely played a big role in turning things around and mentoring the prospects.

Having Zalewski play in Utica will send this city into Comet's Mania or "Comet's Craze". There is nothing better than having a hometown kid playing in front of the hometown crowd. This city will be electric if he plays here. The downside to this: We need a bigger building. There won't be enough seats. I sure do hope they put in the additional seating they talked about last season. Having Zalewski play here will put a exclamation point behind that demand. Comet's tickets will be even harder to come by now and we may just have every home game sold out next season. Drop the puck already..going through Comet's withdrawl down here.

Having Zalewski play in Utica will send this city into Comet's Mania or "Comet's Craze". There is nothing better than having a hometown kid playing in front of the hometown crowd. This city will be electric if he plays here. The downside to this: We need a bigger building. There won't be enough seats. I sure do hope they put in the additional seating they talked about last season. Having Zalewski play here will put a exclamation point behind that demand. Comet's tickets will be even harder to come by now and we may just have every home game sold out next season. Drop the puck already..going through Comet's withdrawl down here.

I hear ya.

Its exciting having a high draft pick, but the draft, then after that training camp, can't come fast enough.

"Stacked" is a very strong word for a team that just had its inaugural season and missed the playoffs. What they will be getting is an injection of young talent. They certainly need to keep veterans like Huskins, Pelletier, O'Reilly, Ferriero, and Stuart to not only lead the team, but to teach these young kids like Shinkaruk and Gaunce what it means to be a pro.

"Stacked" is a very strong word for a team that just had its inaugural season and missed the playoffs. What they will be getting is an injection of young talent. They certainly need to keep veterans like Huskins, Pelletier, O'Reilly, Ferriero, and Stuart to not only lead the team, but to teach these young kids like Shinkaruk and Gaunce what it means to be a pro.

I'd rather have the Sedins and Kesler do that :bigblush:

Stacked is an overstatement but this team only missed the playoffs because it was the first year of the revived Comets and no one was on the same page to start the season. We also had to add some vets like O'Reilly and our prospect pool at the AHL level was MUCH lower quality because most of our best prospects were in the WHL and OHL

I'll settle for "much improved", "exciting to watch" and hopefully hockey in Utica that lasts well into May next season. I'm looking forward to seeing how these new guys look and how well they blend with the returning players. Season two should be fun to watch.

this post should be rewritten to read: "for a young team that JUST MISSED the playoffs". I think they did pretty damn good for a group of players that never played together.

Let's look at next season's team: A balanced group of veterans that have 1 year of Utica hockey experience under their belt. A coaching staff (Green and company) that also have a developed system in place with veterans that KNOW what he wants. Some up and coming prospects that had some stellar performances in "juniors" and ECHL. A goaltending tandem (Eriksson/Cannata) that carried this team to a playoff contender. I think the word "stacked" is a pretty good word to describe the possibility of a pretty strong team down here next season.

Archived