The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) The Kesler Conundrum by Hockey Writers

I don't see how adding Kesler would make them a threat in the playoffs. They have other areas that they need to improve on. Goaltending and their defensemen, are probably their two weak areas of the team. Adding Kesler is irrelevant to them, because they already have players who plays the same style as he does.

Adding Fisher would definitely make us a better team. Adding him would give us potentially 5 guys in our top 6, who can score 20 goals.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Fisher - Kesler

I don't see how adding Kesler would make them a threat in the playoffs. They have other areas that they need to improve on. Goaltending and their defensemen, are probably their two weak areas of the team. Adding Kesler is irrelevant to them, because they already have players who plays the same style as he does.

Adding Fisher would definitely make us a better team. Adding him would give us potentially 5 guys in our top 6, who can score 20 goals.

Higgins isn't a top six forward

You're completely failing to see the point.

Almost everyone is now expecting Kesler to be gone, vamoose traded.

This by all accounts is an almost sure thing. There is never this much smoke without some serious fire underneath it.

To many rumours, to many reports to much conjecture for it to not be true in some way.

So adding Fisher, without Kesler on the team is nothing more than a step back

This by all accounts is an almost sure thing. There is never this much smoke without some serious fire underneath it.

To many rumours, to many reports to much conjecture for it to not be true in some way.

It's a hypothetical situation, if he stays.

Every team in the league wants to win, Linden and Benning even stated this in their press conference that they want to stay competitive.

Point is, Holland should have learned his lesson of not to giving up his prospects and picks, for a guy entering his latter years of his prime, no matter what his past accomplish were. Especially, after losing one of his top prospect for Legwand. He needs to address other areas of the team, and I don't see how adding Kesler would fix that problem.

I've been a long time fan, and I love Kesler, but it's time to trade, and get assets back who will spring the club forward. I trust Benning is the GM to secure those long term assets.

And Shiznak has the best sig ever.

What is a little concerning about Kesler is the fact he lost the "A" on his jersey because of a team vote. Not sure you want to keep a guy around as prideful as Kesler who is very sensitive and needs his ego massaged.

It was quite clear last year through his play and the frustrations he showed on the ice that he was disgruntled with the whole situation in Vancouver and wanted a trade and a fresh start.

Not sure how you can keep Kesler around.

Wouldn't mind him to be traded to Anahiem if the Canucks get the Ducks #10 overall pick back, Silverberg, and either another pick or good prospect.

To the best of my knowledge and as per all the rumours it was one of Bennett or Pouliot + Sutter + 1st. Alternative sources have it as Bennett and Pouliot + pick

Anaheim apparently offered up their 4 picks in the first 2 rounds plus one of Vatanen/Theodore/DPS/Etem.

Again just rumoured.

Det can offer all they'd like but as of next season with much hungrier and stronger teams out east they seriously run the risk of missing the playoffs for the first time since 1989/1990 if they don't make a serious move. Keslers asking price for this team HAS to be the stars and we have to settle for no less than just a shade under that as again it is the future of this franchise competitively.

If Benning was indeed part and parcel to the trades regarding Kessel and then later on Seguin than I have faith in him to get the max return on value for both Kesler and or Edler

Pouliot, Bennet and a 1st round pick? Bye Kesler nice knowing you.

From an organization who doesn't rush their prospects, Mantha almost made onto the roster out of training camp. People saw how clutch he was for Team Canada at the world juniors, which sky rocketed his value.

There's no way Holland will mortgage his future for a guy who is inconsistent, has a long history of injuries, and has an attitude problem.

Would you trade Horvat for a player like Mike Fisher?

I agree we arent trading with Detroit because Holland will never be fired. Some other GM's need to win now and will pay more. Having said that, Kesler is in a higher tier then Fisher.

I think part of our problem is players like Hansen and Higgins just don't show up it seems in the playoffs. I would find a way to trade them both for maybe a more physical second line player who does.

Kesler I would keep, unless he wants to leave. I also think it's time we moved out people who are dispensable, guys who are not really viable in our team, Schroeder comes to mind. We can't afford to have him in the top 6 and he plays "too small" for the bottom 6.

I think part of our problem is players like Hansen and Higgins just don't show up it seems in the playoffs. I would find a way to trade them both for maybe a more physical second line player who does.

Kesler I would keep, unless he wants to leave. I also think it's time we moved out people who are dispensable, guys who are not really viable in our team, Schroeder comes to mind. We can't afford to have him in the top 6 and he plays "too small" for the bottom 6.

Higgins and Hansen are a great problem.

They are guys who have forged careers on work rate more so than talent. Don't get me wrong, any NHL player has talent. But they are not game breakers. Higgins should be 3rd line, play 2knd line when we have injuries. Hansen should just be 3rd line. In reality, they are not the problem. We should be happy with them in those roles.

The problem is we have had to rely on them as 2knd liners and even 1st liners waay too often the last two years. The extra intensity brings us back to the reality that we have been playing them just above their ideal roles.

What is a little concerning about Kesler is the fact he lost the "A" on his jersey because of a team vote. Not sure you want to keep a guy around as prideful as Kesler who is very sensitive and needs his ego massaged.

It was quite clear last year through his play and the frustrations he showed on the ice that he was disgruntled with the whole situation in Vancouver and wanted a trade and a fresh start.

Not sure how you can keep Kesler around.

Wouldn't mind him to be traded to Anahiem if the Canucks get the Ducks #10 overall pick back, Silverberg, and either another pick or good prospect.

What was the deal on why the vote took place?

What was the deal on why the vote took place?

Not sure if the real reason came out. I think the speculation was either Torts pushed a vote on the players to facilitate a change he already wanted or the players themselves decided to have Bieksa as a bigger part of the leadership group while Kesler took a backseat.

I think most of those deals proposed are too lopsided in Canucks favour. Heck, I'd do Kesler for Mantha practically straight up. Maybe balance out some cap or some lower picks to even it out. Detroit doesn't do the deal though.

Looking over our roster though, we're still messed up all over the place. Pencil in Horvat - Mantha for second line? Add Gaunce or Kassian? Seriously there's no way to make a good roster without putting several players out of position.

Pretty much the pieces everyone was expecting. The only players I do not expect to come back the Canucks way are Hedman, Johansen, and Nyqvist. Hedman really stepped up his game this year, and TBay really can't afford to lose defesemen at this point. Johansen would just be straight up foolish for the Blue Jackets to give up. He had a standout year this year, developed a ton, and should only get better. As for Nyqvist, I can't even see the Red Wings doing that deal straight up after the season he had. Otherwise, all the other players mentioned make sense. No surpises, but makes sense.

I scanned the "articles", but the fact that he spent so much time discussing three players that don't make a lick of sense convinced me not to bother reading further.

TB trading Hedman when they are weaker at D and already have Palat as their defensive beast?

Columbus trading Johansen? Really?

Don't be surprised when he isn't "gone, vamoose traded", particularly if teams aren't offering fair value.

Pouliot, Bennet and a 1st round pick? Bye Kesler nice knowing you.

...is what we would have said back at the deadline if that had actually been offered. I know I would have taken that.

...is what we would have said back at the deadline if that had actually been offered. I know I would have taken that.

I would be over-the-moon with just Pouliot and Bennett, and forget the 1st.

In fact, I'd sweeten the pot on our end for those two, adding a young/cheap depth player (Schroeder? Hansen?).

But with Jokinen walking or requiring a raise, I doubt they'll move Bennett.

Don't be surprised when he isn't "gone, vamoose traded", particularly if teams aren't offering fair value.

I won't trade Kesler if I am Linden for anything BUT the moon.

Which is part of why I had no issues with him not being traded at the deadline.

But I do think he leaves sooner than later

Keslers value is higher than 80% of you are giving him. For a selke winning 2nd line center/1st line winger that can control games you are getting a hefty return. Expect a 1st+A prospect+ a additional first in 2015 if its a playoff team, whivh it will be.

Only reason kesler wasnt traded at the deadline was because aqualini had lost all faith in GMMG and wouldnt let him ruin the team further. Benning will get a good return, the value will just slowly rise till the draft then BAM b!tch

Archived