The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was John Totorella a blessing in disguise?

Canuckler87

torts drove the core into the ground....he said our fourth line wasn't good enough...funny weise played a big roll for montreal on their fourth line..weise said, he didn't think that torts believed in fourth lines....

AV used 4 lines in nyr playoffs......linden and benning want 4 lines used.....

the whole team doesn't all play badly all at the same time....injuries hurt too.

One guy Weise doesn't make any more than one part of the 4th line. He might have fit in in Montreal but that does not mean that he was the driving force in Vancouver either.

Torts woke up the owners from the spell that Gillis put on them. This team was on the decline and Gillis did absolutely nothing and still rode the 2011's team's success.

No depth, no direction, Lou/CS debacle.. I could go on and on.

Torts exposed the weaknesses on the team that Gillis failed to address.

Now we have a fresh management and coaching that are in sync and we got an early pick. :)

It forced us from one era to the next. whether that's a good thing remains to be seen, with so much riding on the next week/

I will say this, the Torts era was bizzare,

I hope someday in future someone really opens up about the whole situation. Because there are obviously so many things we don't know.

That would be an amazing book idea,

"My year under Torts " By Alex Edler

Torts woke up the owners from the spell that Gillis put on them. This team was on the decline and Gillis did absolutely nothing and still rode the 2011's team's success.

Now we have a fresh management and coaching that are in sync and we got an early pick. :)

That;s a really good way of looking at it, actually.

Well said! Was about to type a similar comment thx for saving me the time :P

It forced us from one era to the next. whether that's a good thing remains to be seen, with so much riding on the next week/

I hope someday in future someone really opens up about the whole situation. Because there are obviously so many things we don't know.

That would be an amazing book idea,

"My year under Torts " By Alex Edler

I would read that book in a heartbeat. I bet Torts had some truly bats**t insane moments in the dressing room we never heard about.

I actually do agree quite a bit with the OP as well. We weren't going to be contenders this year anyway and now we have new management, a high draft spot, and the potential to make some waves in the free agency.

Like a scene from a mafia movie, such as "Goodfellas", for example.

Take over a business like a popular restaurant, & milk it completely 'til the tank is emptied.

Act #3 is lighting a match, & burn it to the ground, to collect the insurance.

It may be a cynical outlook, but I see hiring Torts, as lighting the match. TL serves as the ins policy, financing with legitimacy(& buying time), for a new start.

People talk of the financial sacrifice(owners) to buy out MG, Torts, et al, but in a 500 mill+ entity, the whole process seems quite logically calculated, to me.

I'm curious whether this was all,(or even partly) envisioned last summer.

Players that played under Tootsie present and past have spoken up,already.

It is not hard to figure out and yet Gillis had no clue,whatsoever.

Tortorella simply didn't do the work he needed to do to be successful. He didn't know the roster when he was hired and there's no evidence he took the time to learn. How many times did he say something like "Yeah, I never got to that guy. That's on me. I should have done this or I should have done that." He didn't use those exact words, but he appears to have been too lazy to find out what he needed to know. He didn't speak to Travis Green in Utica once all season. He didn't bother to hang around for game-day skates and apparently didn't call enough practices. The power play sucked, but the players say he never took the time to work on it in practice. He was a lifetime East Coast guy who didn't have a clue about how the west coast is different. Right until the end he referred to the California teams as "those teams out west".

And that gong show the night he went to the Calgary dressing room between periods was a stunt I'd expect in Tier Two Junior but not the NHL. It wasn't a spontaneous act at all. He had an entire period to calm down after the opening second brawl, but still went ahead with the worst behaviour by any Vancouver coach in history. It was a premeditated act that he absolutely knew wasn't going to accomplish anything but a lot of media coverage. For me, that was the turning point, and I suspect it was for a lot of his players as well. Up until then I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. After that I somehow knew the team wasn't going to make the playoffs. Whether or not the players quit on him will always be open to debate, but the net result was favourable for them so maybe they did.

Tortorella was a far worse coach than Mike Keenan. For whatever else he was, Keenan could coach (when he wasn't destroying whichever players he felt like picking at). Tortorella in the end had three outs: he was out of touch, out of ideas and out of the NHL. His time in Vancouver was mercifully short and in no way positive. He may coach again in the NHL, but I really doubt it. I think the team will respond to the totally new management and coaching with positivity, energy and enthusiasm.

One guy Weise doesn't make any more than one part of the 4th line. He might have fit in in Montreal but that does not mean that he was the driving force in Vancouver either.

Maybe not the driving force, but was the fastest Canuck, had a chin like the Hulk, and basically left it all out on the ice. Ask Habs fans how much they like Weise.

Before Torts came to this team, we were still in fairytale land thinking we were just a new coach or player or two away from competing with the leagues best. AV was the scapegoat as a guy who couldn't coach playoff style hockey. This was despite the fact we were coming off two first round playoff exits in which we amassed a grand total of ONE win.

Sure we were good in the regular season those years, but how much of that had to do with Calgary, Edmonton and a rebuilding Colorado being in our division at the time? A lot. So when John Torts came, he was the messiah who would take us to the promised land.

However, this past season we missed the playoffs entirely. Our players looked slow, old and sluggish. A fact reiterated by Torts himself. The biggest contribution Torts made to our organization was bringing in a retool.

Also, he cost Gillis his job (which Gillis held on to for longer than he was supposed too anyways). Now, because of Torts, we have new management with fresh views and ideas. A new coach who has experianced success at every level. And many changes on the horizon for underperforming players such as buying out David Booth.

So perhaps Torts tenure here did have some benifits. Plus we can always go back and look at him trying to invade Calgarys dressing room in the future for a good laugh or two. Anyone agree?

I don't think Aquaman shares your view: Gillis-$8-10 mil, Torts $6-8mil, Booth $3.6 mil, Luongo $800k/yr for effin ever! , Ballard $5,6 mil.

Missing the playoffs several million.

So $25-30 million, some effin blessing!

Claimed on waivers by Vancouver, Weise began to establish himself with the Canucks, playing the better part of two seasons.

“And then John Tortorella gets hired in Vancouver — and we were back at Square 1,” Weise said.

“John Tortorella might have been the reason. It’s done great for my career. I don’t have anything else to say to him.”

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/04/24/winnipegs-dale-weise-in-habs-hockey-heaven

Archived