The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

so true regardless sven was a steal for a second thanks burkie, virtanen is gonna be best player in last yrs draft he crushes 21-25 yr olds when hes 18 wait til he has 20 more pounds of muscle in a few yrs hes gonna own the league i think hes gonna give perry and iginla a run for their money in his prime

That's the exciting part for me. The kid is 18 and already has guys 20 pounds and quite a few years older just bouncing off of him when they try to hit him.

Plus, he's been with the team like what...3 weeks now? And he's already on the power-play and creating havoc.

Maybe I'm a bit biased and a bit over-enthusiastic here, but this kid has all the tools and when I look at him I see a young Getzlaf.

Reinharts going to max out at a Kyle Turris IMO. I'd rather have Horvat over him.

I dunno if id put that ceiling on sam quite yet, seen him play live over 20 times. And he's the best junior player I've seen, better than drasitl and I've seen a lot of other great players. His vision and hockey iq are outstanding, he is also great defenively. He just seems to think way faster than everyone on the ice, and is a great playmaker. Always been a huge leader as well, and has captained the ice and team Canada.

Because the Canuck depth is so bad I would pass too but Ekblad is real special. A very tempting deal none the less.

It's always possible he has a Tyler Myers-esque plateau but yeah, as much as I love Virtanen and Horvat there's not a whole lot I wouldn't have traded last summer for Ekblad. He looked phenomenal for a teenage rookie d-man this past year.

edit: He looked pretty dam good for just about anybody actually, let alone a teenage rookie.

Edited by Wild Sean Monahan

Horvat and Virtanen for Ekblad? Pass.

Because the Canuck depth is so bad I would pass too but Ekblad is real special. A very tempting deal none the less.

Horvat and Virtanen are two very good young players. It would take a lot in return to justify trading them. But Ekblad looks like a lock to be a Norris candidate down the road.

I don't think Benning would make that deal today, but he might. I think I would go for it because the one thing the Canucks have never had is a real Norris trophy candidate on the roster. That is kind of player you can build a Stanley Cup contender around (like Doughty or Chara).

I don't think any GMs would trade Horvat and Virtanen for Reinhart right now though. That would be a terrible deal. Reinhart is an excellent prospect but there is a reasonable chance his game will not translate to the NHL as well as Horvat's game. And Virtanen has a wide range at this stage. He might end up as nothing more than a solid third liner but he could also end up as dangerous first liner. There is a decent chance that all three guys end up pretty close in quality. I admit that Reinhart probably projects a bit better than either Horvat or Virtanen right now, but not by enough to make that deal even close to reasonable.

I thought the deal Benning offered was Shinkaruk and the #6 pick to move up and get Reinhart. Most GMs would give up Shinkaruk and Virtanen to get for Reinhart.

• Upvote 1

Horvat and Virtanen for Ekblad? Pass.

Hate to lose Horvat and Virtanen, but I would make that trade without any hesitation. Ekblad is a franchise defensemen, and will likely become a Norris trophy winner down the road. Hard not to pass on that, consider over the past 20+ years the team who has won the Cup, has had a Norris trophy winner or candidate on their roster.

Edited by shiznak
  • Upvote 2

I thought the deal Benning offered was Shinkaruk and the #6 pick to move up and get Reinhart. Most GMs would give up Shinkaruk and Virtanen to get for Reinhart.

It depends on what you consider 'talk'. Certainly we were talking about that here but it was an unsubstantiated rumour started by one person in the media (was it Dreger?) that Benning refuted. Reinhart was the rumoured target though rather than Ekblad.

Whatever we were offering, Tallon didn't bite.

Hate to lose Horvat and Virtanen, but I would make that trade without any hesitation. Ekblad is a franchise defensemen, and will likely become a Norris trophy winner down the road. Hard not to pass on that, consider over the past 20+ years the team who has won the Cup, has had a Norris trophy winner or candidate on their roster.

You don't win a cup without a stud d-man. I'd make that trade as well.