The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

This raises a point, though I'd differ in approach focussing on where he'll best develop instead of where he deserves to play. Earning your spot is just one of the factors to consider in a player's development.

Some think NHL players develop best in the NHL. Imo that is best for some and not as good for others.

Virtanen physically is capable of playing in the NHL. I suspect that mentally and defensively he's closer to being ready than some give him credit for, but for other reasons wonder if he might be better in Jr again. Those are:

-offense-between his shoulder injury and his commitment to work on his defence, and possibly other factors (I've seen coaching and playing a different wing mentioned as potential factors in other CDC posts) his scoring didn't go up like one often sees from top prospects. It might not do him any harm to do a bunch of scoring in junior-in fact it may be good for his offensive creativity.

-some have mentioned that it would be nice if he isn't expected to carry too much of the team's deterrent weight in the NHL next season.

otoh, Virtanen's strength and speed are perhaps overly dominant in many situations in junior.

It will interesting seeing what happens in training camp.

Yes, he has all the physical ability in the world to play in the NHL, and playing in the NHL is probably the better way to develop him, but that's the case for about every prospect. However, if he can barely score a point per game in the WHL playing on the first line, and also go on a decline in goal production after being drafted, I don't see any reason for everyone to be so optimistic thinking he'll definitely succeed in the NHL next year, I can't seem to find the logic in that.

People can argue "Oh well he is more NHL ready than anyone in his draft class," well if that's the case why isn't he dominating the much more smaller, weaker, slower, less complex, CHL? The NHL gives you much less room to maneuver and if Virt can't play up to expectations in Calgary than he shouldn't be up in the NHL.

Wait till he starts dominating the dub and then we'll see what he can do up here, but that's just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Yes, he has all the physical ability in the world to play in the NHL, and playing in the NHL is probably the better way to develop him, but that's the case for about every prospect. However, if he can barely score a point per game in the WHL playing on the first line, and also go on a decline in goal production after being drafted, I don't see any reason for everyone to be so optimistic thinking he'll definitely succeed in the NHL next year, I can't seem to find the logic in that.

People can argue "Oh well he is more NHL ready than anyone in his draft class," well if that's the case why isn't he dominating the much more smaller, weaker, slower, less complex, CHL? The NHL gives you much less room to maneuver and if Virt can't play up to expectations in Calgary than he shouldn't be up in the NHL.

Wait till he starts dominating the dub and then we'll see what he can do up here, but that's just my opinion.

Playing on the 1st line in WHL this season...? Someone didn't follow his season at all...

You are right grape. Not only that, but if Virtanen gets a spot on the Canucks he takes it away from Alexandre Grenier who is the third best forward in Utica, developed on the farm and produced well, and is at the age where he really needs to get an opportunity before he is too old.

Considering all that he has accomplished plus his physical attributes it would suck to see him not penciled in on the 4th line to see what he can do.

• Upvote 1

You are right grape. Not only that, but if Virtanen gets a spot on the Canucks he takes it away from Alexandre Grenier who is the third best forward in Utica, developed on the farm and produced well, and is at the age where he really needs to get an opportunity before he is too old.

Considering all that he has accomplished plus his physical attributes it would suck to see him not penciled in on the 4th line to see what he can do.

I agree 100%. Couldn't have said it better myself. Grenier's waited long enough and has really improved other the course of his career through basically every league, would definitely have him over Virtanen.

Playing on the 1st line in WHL this season...? Someone didn't follow his season at all...

Lol sorry, my bad. Does he play on the 2nd line?

I've seen clips and portions of Hitmen games just assumed his line was the first line

Edited by Grape

Lol sorry, my bad. Does he play on the 2nd line?

I've seen clips and portions of Hitmen games just assumed his line was the first line

Mostly 2nd and some 3rd line. Played on the 1st line with Tambo and Rankin when Hitmen couldn't get offense going. Played LW/RW/Center at different times throughout the season and 2nd PP most of the time. Mind-boggling how he was used that way.

A lot of positive stories coming out of the Calder run this year. Most definitely Grenier is one of them. He finished the season strong and continued into playoffs. While Virtanen proved he can handle the

physical play of the AHL I prefer he spends another year in junior to re-establish his offense. He might

surprise in the fall but I am hoping Grenier makes the Canucks. He has a great balance to his game and

can bring much of what Virtanen can on the physical side.

I agree 100%. Couldn't have said it better myself. Grenier's waited long enough and has really improved other the course of his career through basically every league, would definitely have him over Virtanen.

they both will get a shot