The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

He rolled the Griffins. Monarchs much better team than Utica. End of the line for the Comets, who didn't get much from anyone in that series.

He tweeted 'Vancity (heart-eyes)', meaning, of course, he'll be playing with the Canucks next season. ;)

If that happens, I'm fully expecting the (28yrs old) Raffi Torres comparisons to continue, because he'll be given that role in his first season, and since he'll gladly play any role for his team, he'll be smiling all the way. Then what of Kassian, who has done nothing but complain about his role on the team? We've seen the writing on the wall for awhile now. He may be on his way out. It's unfortunate, because we could use both player. Just speculation.

If he doesn't make the team, it will likely because of injury. Or 'injury.' And perhaps cap reasons. We'll see.

He wasn't much of a factor these playoffs this season for Utica. Which is fine. The kid just needs to spend another year in junior, then a couple in the AHL to round out his game.

He is really young, and I would like for him to spend next season in jr as well.

I think being the guy now finally in his highly political team will be great for him. He will be the go to guy all year on their top line. Will be great for his overall game, and his leadership qualities.

Also gives his body another year to mature.

Although he is very strong and fast for his age. He still needs to mature physically and get stronger. The style of game he plays increases the chance of injury so for him to play his style successfully in nhl I feel he needs to be stronger.

I am very excited for virtanen and our staff will do what's right in his development. If he has an awesome summer and is ready for camp blows coaching away then awesome 9 game audition, and if he earns his spot you can't srgue with thAt. I personally do not think he will be on the big squad next season though.

For the love of God please send him back to the WHL. He has NHL speed and physicality but that is about it. He would really benefit from gaining some confidence working on his accuracy back in junior. If he can get his accuracy back to what it was in his draft year, then he is ready for the NHL but as of now, he floats a bit too much for my liking and does not have an NHL quality shot. He is nowhere close to where Horvat was in his draft +1, maybe another year in junior can help him get back on track.

I would agree with everything you said here, if I wanted to make sure a top 10 pick will be a bust.

Yes the GM DOES make that decision. IF he plays up, ie for the NHL, it will be Bennings call. It will then be up to WD to decide when and where he plays. Much like he did with BH this year.

Yes, ultimately it's the GM's decision, but he doesn't make it without the coach's input. If WD strongly believes Virtanen is ready and wants to keep him beyond 9 games, JB is not going to send him down.

Some observations on Virtanen's season and moving forward.

Like many of you, I have watched Virtanen play in the WJC, televised junior games, and the AHL playoffs. However, I have also watched him play live in about 25 Hitmen games (about 10 last year and 15 this year). Most of the prevailing narrative is also what I experienced; he plays physical (most of the time even when he is not scoring), he is very fast and very strong, he still take bad penalties from time to time, and he has a great shot. To be honest, I thought he improved this year and did not stall as his PPG may lead some to believe. I think that last year he shot at an unsustainable high shooting percentage which inflated his goals (45) and this year he shot at an unsustainable low shooting percentage. I expect this to regress to a norm as shooting percentage does. Virtanen was invisible at times (sometimes a period or two) even when I was trying to watch for him (including both a lack of physical play and offense). This isn't a huge knock as many junior players fall prey to this.

As many of you know I was a very vocal supporter of Virtanen on CDC going into last years draft. I still like him very much, but I do not think in any way he should be in the NHL next year. Typically with power forwards, which Virtanen most certainly is, they take longer to emerge in the NHL. Much of this is because the size advantage (and in Virtanen's case also his speed) is largely washed out at the NHL level. Take for example his zone entries; Virtanen either does a light chip around the Dman and tries to sneak around him to regain possession or go through him. His other zone entry is to keep the puck to the outside, shield it by lowering his inside shoulder and power around the defender. Both of these zone entries are rarely seen in the NHL by any player due to the size and skill of NHL defenders. It will be difficult for Virtanen to utilize these entries at any point in his career.

I would expect his performance, if Benning kept him next year, to be like his AHL playoffs. A little bit of offence and an average amount of physical play (likely less of both because the NHL is stronger, faster, and more skilled). I think his development would greatly benefit from one more year of junior; he would be able to play over 20 minutes a game, he would take on a leadership role, he would play in all situations (perhaps most importantly the PK), he would be a leader, be a top 6 forward at the WJC, he could work on his discipline and dominate the WHL. I believe this would be much better than him playing a bottom 6 role (likely fourth line) on the Canucks next year (and don't forget burn a year of his ELC when he isn't a big contributor).

I know everyone is excited about our young guys and want them in the lineup as soon as possible. But with Virtanen another year in junior (and likely start the next year in the AHL) would be what is best for the Canucks. We can be excited for guys like Baertschi and maybe Shinkaruk and Gaunce next year.

• Upvote 4

that all depends on who is on the team and who he plays with. Perry and getzlaf are great, in part, because they have each other. If JV can find chemistry with a good cman, then he could very well put up pretty big numbers.

not a centre but Nick Ritchie and Virtanen would have looked good together :(

Like many of you, I have watched Virtanen play in the WJC, televised junior games, and the AHL playoffs. However, I have also watched him play live in about 25 Hitmen games (about 10 last year and 15 this year). Most of the prevailing narrative is also what I experienced; he plays physical (most of the time even when he is not scoring), he is very fast and very strong, he still take bad penalties from time to time, and he has a great shot. To be honest, I thought he improved this year and did not stall as his PPG may lead some to believe. I think that last year he shot at an unsustainable high shooting percentage which inflated his goals (45) and this year he shot at an unsustainable low shooting percentage. I expect this to regress to a norm as shooting percentage does. Virtanen was invisible at times (sometimes a period or two) even when I was trying to watch for him (including both a lack of physical play and offense). This isn't a huge knock as many junior players fall prey to this.

As many of you know I was a very vocal supporter of Virtanen on CDC going into last years draft. I still like him very much, but I do not think in any way he should be in the NHL next year. Typically with power forwards, which Virtanen most certainly is, they take longer to emerge in the NHL. Much of this is because the size advantage (and in Virtanen's case also his speed) is largely washed out at the NHL level. Take for example his zone entries; Virtanen either does a light chip around the Dman and tries to sneak around him to regain possession or go through him. His other zone entry is to keep the puck to the outside, shield it by lowering his inside shoulder and power around the defender. Both of these zone entries are rarely seen in the NHL by any player due to the size and skill of NHL defenders. It will be difficult for Virtanen to utilize these entries at any point in his career.

I would expect his performance, if Benning kept him next year, to be like his AHL playoffs. A little bit of offence and an average amount of physical play (likely less of both because the NHL is stronger, faster, and more skilled). I think his development would greatly benefit from one more year of junior; he would be able to play over 20 minutes a game, he would take on a leadership role, he would play in all situations (perhaps most importantly the PK), he would be a leader, be a top 6 forward at the WJC, he could work on his discipline and dominate the WHL. I believe this would be much better than him playing a bottom 6 role (likely fourth line) on the Canucks next year (and don't forget burn a year of his ELC when he isn't a big contributor).

I know everyone is excited about our young guys and want them in the lineup as soon as possible. But with Virtanen another year in junior (and likely start the next year in the AHL) would be what is best for the Canucks. We can be excited for guys like Baertschi and maybe Shinkaruk and Gaunce next year.

Based on JB's comments, I think the Canucks will be running with as many as 5 rookies next year. We know Baertschi, Corrado, Clendening, and Markstrom will be subject to waivers and could be lost for nothing - two of which are recent acquisitions in Clendening and Baertschi. You have to think JB wants to keep those players around. The 5th rookie will be one of Virtanen/Gaunce/Grenier in my opinion. They all bring physicality and defence necessary to make the next step, their size is a much needed bonus. Of these 3 I think it's Gaunce that makes the jump, Virtanen is closer than people realize, and Grenier will be a useful call up. Big guys that can contribute in the bottom 6 and work their way up is essential in the NHL right now. Even if Virtanen played in a bottom 6 role, he would still be expected to bring physicality every night.

Anyways, the Canucks are clearly getting younger and year to year I think we will see players graduate from the AHL or right from junior as this is now JB's mantra.

14/15 grads:

Horvat

Kenins

15/16 grads:

Markstrom

Clendening

Corrado

Baertschi

Gaunce

16/17:

Shinkaruk

Virtanen

Pedan

Something to get excited about!

Based on JB's comments, I think the Canucks will be running with as many as 5 rookies next year. We know Baertschi, Corrado, Clendening, and Markstrom will be subject to waivers and could be lost for nothing - two of which are recent acquisitions in Clendening and Baertschi. You have to think JB wants to keep those players around. The 5th rookie will be one of Virtanen/Gaunce/Grenier in my opinion. They all bring physicality and defence necessary to make the next step, their size is a much needed bonus. Of these 3 I think it's Gaunce that makes the jump, Virtanen is closer than people realize, and Grenier will be a useful call up. Big guys that can contribute in the bottom 6 and work their way up is essential in the NHL right now. Even if Virtanen played in a bottom 6 role, he would still be expected to bring physicality every night.

Anyways, the Canucks are clearly getting younger and year to year I think we will see players graduate from the AHL or right from junior as this is now JB's mantra.

14/15 grads:

Horvat

Kenins

15/16 grads:

Markstrom

Clendening

Corrado

Baertschi

Gaunce

16/17:

Shinkaruk

Virtanen

Pedan

Something to get excited about!

Agree on your rookie picks other than I give Grenier a real shot. Another year in Uitca with some call

ups would work well for Guance. I would really like to see Grenier get a 20 game look.

I know it's early but I don't really see Jake becoming a first liner.

I think he'll become a solid 2nd liner who puts up 50-60 points in his prime. Maybe a 70 point season with the right linemates.

He doesn't have the quick hands, creativity or offensive iq to put up elite numbers imo.

But I do think he will be a much better playoff performer than Ehlers or Nylander so I'm happy with the pick.

Also I'd say he's on the team next year unless he has a bad camp, which I do not see happening. Look at how he's already manhandling men in the AHL. After an offseason of training and maturing he's going to be a wrecking ball next season.

I am very happy that we drafted Virtanen , and was hoping so at the draft as well .

However I recently watched Nylander's 2014/15 highlights & wow . He is good !

Just like you said and I agree , he seems like the player to me to completely disappear come playoffs time .

Where as Virtanen will likely strive & drive the play with his speed/physicality .

Wow someone with actual insight! Very well written and props to you for not predicting Jake as a 4th line grinder like many on CDC.

This. In the juniors, get him to explore his creativity with the puck. Work on his offensive zone entry's, and his puck movement on the offense.

Thanks for sharing this. If Virtanen doesn't make the team next year, I know I won't be too disappointed thanks to you (but I still sort of hope that he surprises us all and comes to camp much improved and makes the team).

He wasn't much of a factor these playoffs this season for Utica. Which is fine. The kid just needs to spend another year in junior, then a couple in the AHL to round out his game.

He was noticeable, but wasn't effective in all areas like a more established top 6 winger should be. I didn't expect him to put up a bunch of points, but to make a basic comparison he was about as effective as Ferlund was for Calgary - which if you take away the hitting and forecheck wasn't incredibly impressive.

I'd like to see him impress for more than just making it to the 4th line if he gets a spot, but if they feel he's close and could contribute further up the line up later in the year I wouldn't be upset if he made it. Otherwise, going back to juniors wouldn't be a bad thing so long as he's used properly and allowed to develop more with his offensive game while keeping an eye on his defensive positioning.

If someone told me what my ceiling was at 18 I'd punch their lips off. Cuz how the %$&@ would you know!?

"Son, you can do anything you ever dreamed of, you're ceiling is sky high."

Whammo!

But seriously, we can project where a prospect might end up career-wise. Maybe he exceeds it or never gets close, but it's just trying to think realistically.

Edited by elvis15

If someone told me what my ceiling was at 18 I'd punch their lips off. Cuz how the F$&@ would you know!?

I feel the same way. Give the kid two years of pro hockey before setting a limit on him. By that time we should all have a fairly good idea of what type of player they'll be. Not assured of course, but at least a decent sample size to assess.

He was noticeable, but wasn't effective in all areas like a more established top 6 winger should be. I didn't expect him to put up a bunch of points, but to make a basic comparison he was about as effective as Ferlund was for Calgary - which if you take away the hitting and forecheck wasn't incredibly impressive.

I'd like to see him impress for more than just making it to the 4th line if he gets a spot, but if they feel he's close and could contribute further up the line up later in the year I wouldn't be upset if he made it. Otherwise, going back to juniors wouldn't be a bad thing so long as he's used properly and allowed to develop more with his offensive game while keeping an eye on his defensive positioning.

Pretty much this. He was effective physically and his speed, shot and natural offensive instincts got him looks in the Comets top 6 (though with little in the way of points to show for it).

Really though, after playing a full Jr. season and some playoffs and getting thrown in to the pro game in the middle of an amped up playoff run with/against men... I thought he acquitted himself fairly well in the role he was given.

Also agree with your assessment of the situation this fall. If they feel they can ease him in on the 4th line similar to Horvat (8'ish minutes) and let him blossom in to a say 3rd line or dominant 4th line role (10+minutes) by end of season, he likely stays. And that's certainly a very realistic possibility.

If they don't feel that's possible or any of Grenier, Kenins, Gaunce etc are better option (in spite of their ability to be waived), it's back to the Hitmen.

I'll not be remotely surprised to see him get 9 games though with Grenier, Kenins, Gaunce all able to be sent to Utica.

Edited by J.R.

Back to Calgary to find the dynamic scoring touch that we need out of this player. He will be THE guy for the Hitmen next year, a top 6 forward with Team Canada and hopefully another chance to suit up for Utica as they prepare for another deep Calder Cup run.

Playing in the NHL next year would obviously help him get used to the speed and structure of the pro game as well as the benefits of practicing with NHL'ers everyday, but playing 8-10 minutes a night on the 4th line would likely be detrimental to his offensive skills and his overall development.

Go back, pop 40 goals, 1.2-1.4 ppg and then come into camp for 2016-2017 ready to push for a top nine spot.

This. In the juniors, get him to explore his creativity with the puck. Work on his offensive zone entry's, and his puck movement on the offense.

Even though I think another year of junior is better for Virtanen, I kind of hope it isn't with the Hitmen (despite me losing my opportunity to watch them) or at least not with their same playing style as they had this year.

Too often Virtanen would come back and carry the puck from his own blue line into the offensive zone (through means I discussed in my earlier post). The reason they let Virtanen do this is because he has a skill (and speed) advantage in the WHL. In the NHL, this role would be the his center's job. The two zone entries Virtanen does not do often are 1) a blue line pass just prior to entering the offensive zone. This makes sense to a degree because normally center's make this pass to wingers. And 2) a hard dump in along the boards to the far side. Virtanen likely doesn't do this that often because he knows he has a good shot at regaining or keeping possession himself with the zone entries as I previously outlined.

Personally I want Virtanen to play with a pure play-making centerman (in junior and at the NHL level). Virtanen's game is a very simple north-south game. He shouldn't be carrying the puck through the neutral zone, he should be getting open and gaining speed to receive an entry pass. Moreover, Virtanen doesn't have the play-making that would be best utilized by a puck carrier.

The idea fit for Virtanen in the future would be to play with a possession dominate, pass first (pass second, shoot third) centerman like Henrik Sedin (he would also benefit from the other winger being a decent playmaker). I don't see Horvat (or any of our other center prospects being that high-end play-maker that would be best to optimize Virtanen's skill-set. I know we aren't in the position to grab him, but a guy like Barzal would be a perfect fit. Often times I think elite play-makers are under appreciated (perhaps not in Vancouver) in their ability to squeeze production out of subpar players. Now two guys who don't necessarily have elite skill sets but the next tier down respectively (Barzal and Virtanen) when perfectly complemented like these two are could create an elite pair (that is the whole would be greater than the sum of the parts).