The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

He's more skilled in some areas yes,but one big hit away from becoming the next Jeff skinner. He needs to add 20 pounds before he's effective.

But is it really about the weight? Jeff Skinner is 201 lbs. I think it comes down to how smart you play.

Or he's just a Canucks fan? Instead of calling him an Ehlers apologist, why don't you reply what he said?

If Jake was that much of a playoff performer, then where are his playoff totals?

I'll eat my words if ehlers becomes a big star or better then jake. Ehlers plays against Q players that's why he can pile up crazy point totals. Jakes production wasn't amazing but he had major shoulder surgery and it effected his shot. Jake is 18 and physically dominant against men. He should have had a few goals in the playoffs but I'm not too worried he had quite a few chances in his AHL run. Ehlers ran into some good teams in the Q playoffs and couldn't get over the hump. He's good but but I rather have jakes skill set. We already have bartchi, vey. You cant be top heavy with players like that and win grinding playoff games.

But is it really about the weight? Jeff Skinner is 201 lbs. I think it comes down to how smart you play.

Ok well your right skinner isn't even that small. Ehlers is way smaller. Yeah it helps being smart and Ehlers is but I rather have jake who is as fast as Ehlers but also is a beast physically. It's not all about pp points in junior games.

With Kassian being traded I hope Grenier gets the 4RW spot over Jake. My fear is that if we rush Jake in he's going to fall in to checking role for life and never realize his potential and end up Kassian 2.0. A line with Dorsett and Virtanen would be intimidating but i don't think his career will benefit from a year of running around throwing his weight if we want him to be a legit top 6 winger

Edited by CanuckMan10
  • Upvote 1

With Kassian being traded I hope Grenier gets the 4RW spot over Jake. My fear is that if we rush Jake in he's going to fall in to checking role for life and never realize his potential and end up Kassian 2.0. A line with Dorsett and Virtanen would be intimidating but i don't think his career will benefit from a year of running around throwing his weight if we want him to be a legit top 6 winger

I think it's the opposite with Kassian.

He knew his potential but new management wanted him to play more like Dorsett.

I think it's the opposite with Kassian.

He knew his potential but new management wanted him to play more like Dorsett.

3 different coaches in 3 years didn't help as well.

3 different coaches in 3 years didn't help as well.

i think Torts handled him well.

AV it was hard to tell since Kassian was very young and even less consistent compared to how he was now. Av also randomly took him of the Sedin line to get Burr going...

Anyways this is a Virtanen thread dont wanna hijack it. Hopefully Jake learns how to fight a bit better... Then he can be the classic powerforward everyone wants.

So excited for this kid. If everything goes well he will be around for a very long time. I love that he's been compared to Jarome Iginla. Iggy was an unreal player in his prime. I hope Jake can turn out like that.

I think that Jake has a better shot at making the Canucks since Kassian has been moved. But he's going to have to duke it out with Grenier for the 4th line spot.

I think that physically, he won't have a problem. He proved that in the play offs for the Comets although his point production was low. The other part that nobody talks about is his personal maturity. I really couldn't say, but he has to be ready in both of these aspects to be successful.