The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Tim Thomas was the biggest factor. We outshot them but he was absolutely incredible. Even with hammer in the lineup I still don't think we score on Tim.

But with Hamhuis and Rome in the lineup, maybe we don't give up that first goal in game 7. Perhaps, it could've been 0-0 going into the third period or into the OT and we might have been able to squeak one in and win.

Haha, I really don't think you are referring to Shawn Thornton, because he was pretty much a non-factor in that series and not remotely a tone changer.

Yes, sure we could be a tougher team. But the use of Ferland as counterpoint to our team toughness is just ludicrious. This guy is a fringe NHLer. The Canucks have much bigger problems than team toughness. Anyway didn't Benning bring in those two short enforcers (Dorsett and Prust) to add team toughness? I'm sure that will end up being a great decision...

Yes, that's the guy! When he came into the line up, the whole tone of the series changed in favour of Boston. It became a lot tougher to play. Every in of ice became a battle. It became a stiffer test. Our guys lost every battle in front of the Nets. We got pushed away from the front of their net, and the scrims ended up in the corners. Whereas, the scrum sin our end were in the crease. We had no answer.

Yes, that's the guy! When he came into the line up, the whole tone of the series changed in favour of Boston. It became a lot tougher to play. Every in of ice became a battle. It became a stiffer test. Our guys lost every battle in front of the Nets. We got pushed away from the front of their net, and the scrims ended up in the corners. Whereas, the scrum sin our end were in the crease. We had no answer.

Interesting take. I certainly did not see it that way. I thought Boston was more physical from the start of the series. I certainly didn't notice Thorton making a huge impact with his roughly 8 minutes a game in ice time.

Interesting take. I certainly did not see it that way. I thought Boston was more physical from the start of the series. I certainly didn't notice Thorton making a huge impact with his roughly 8 minutes a game in ice time.

That's okay. Your opinion is of equal value to any of us. I just disagree, that's all. I see us needing a guy like Lucic to help the Twins, especially as the age. If Milan can only play 10 minutes of five on five with them, that's all we need.

This is only my opinion, of course, but I think Marcus was really close with Bert. And I think, again my opinion, Paval was really close to Gino. Don't you think those two big bodied tougher guys made the way easier for the two goal scorers? Don't you think the Twins would welcome Lucic?

I know last season a lot of people were concerned with Virtanen's offensive numbers but this upcoming season between him being healthier with not coming off shoulder surgery and some of Calgary's better players like Adam Tambellini and Connor Rankin leaving the team due to age he will get more ice time and his offensive numbers will improve somewhat because of those 2 things.

Edited by GMJB

I know last season a lot of people were concerned with Virtanen's offensive numbers but this upcoming season between him being healthier with not coming off shoulder surgery and some of Calgary's better players like Adam Tambellini and Connor Rankin leaving the team due to age he will get more ice time and his offensive numbers will improve somewhat because of those 2 things.

Virtanen will be on the Canucks, and he's going to win the Calder. His going back to Calgary will only be to put out the Flames.

Ok that is where I draw the line

nFn51VmBlX6W4.gif

I don't know to which line you are referring. Virtanen could come in and score 30+ goals, and be a super pest, who scores hits and fights. MacDavid, who many have already engraved his name on the trophy, might have trouble ( with his slight build) finding his game, or he might get hurt. Why could not Virtanen win the Calder?

I don't know if this comment is directed at me, but I expect it is. Your opinion is yours, and you are entitled to it. I am a Canuck's fan, posting on a Canuck's sponsored forum. IMO Virtanen could certainly win the Calder.

I wish I could properly express my opinion of you.
  • Upvote 1

I don't know to which line you are referring. Virtanen could come in and score 30+ goals, and be a super pest, who scores hits and fights. MacDavid, who many have already engraved his name on the trophy, might have trouble ( with his slight build) finding his game, or he might get hurt. Why could not Virtanen win the Calder?

Mcdavid is 6'1 roughly 190... thats not a slight frame by an means..

That's okay. Your opinion is of equal value to any of us. I just disagree, that's all. I see us needing a guy like Lucic to help the Twins, especially as the age. If Milan can only play 10 minutes of five on five with them, that's all we need.

This is only my opinion, of course, but I think Marcus was really close with Bert. And I think, again my opinion, Paval was really close to Gino. Don't you think those two big bodied tougher guys made the way easier for the two goal scorers? Don't you think the Twins would welcome Lucic?

I wouldn't mind Lucic, but I would be vary wary of the price it might cost. I'm happy we didn't trade for him this offseason. He's had an odd last two years and it is difficult to tell if it is just a minor slump or if he is actually declining. Seeing him with LA this year should help clarify his status.

Regarding Virtanen winning the Calder, I think that is rather far-fetched. I could be wrong about this but I don't think any forward in the CHL has ever went from a 1 PPG in his CHL +1 season to winning the NHL Calder trophy in his +2 season.

Not to mention the Calder has a documented non-west coast bias.

Edited by baumerman77

I'm starting to think that Benning already has Virtanen penciled-in for the team.

I think they'll let him play until December and then send him to WJC and then back to junior before the important 40 game mark. Which may be the best course of action. I am still strongly in the camp that another year of junior would be better for his development.

Wow you're really going out on a limb there. Are you basing that on the fact that we only have 21 waiver eligible contracts as of right now. Or is it the fact that this is Benning's team and he pushed to have Horvat on the team last year? It's the same contingent of "fans" that are saying the same things about Virtanen that they did about Horvat last year. Personally I think NHL caliber coaching and training will be much better for his development, but he is going to need to outplay Grenier and possibly a 4th line center prospect.

At this point there is really no question that JV is going to be a Canuck. So why wouldn't you want that to happen as soon as possible. Maybe if you're a Hitmen fan, you'd like him to go back to Calgary for another season. Most of the "experts" have JV at the top of our prospect pool, and since he can only go back to junior or stay up with the big club, it makes more sense to keep him.

Also those that are saying we should send JV back to junior seem to be the same people that are saying we're going to suck next year and finish in the bottom 1/3 of the league. So if that were the case, why wouldn't you want him on the team learning from the Sedins and the rest of our well rounded veterans? If we're going to suck anyways what's the difference?

Edited by canuckledraggin