The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

wow people really don't understand how good Hanzal is here lol.

Hanzal is a good player. One of my favourite on the Coyotes. But it's the Coyotes....

Virtanen has Cam Neely potential. You don't trade that for a 30 pt producer.

Hanzal is a good player. One of my favourite on the Coyotes. But it's the Coyotes....

Virtanen has Cam Neely potential. You don't trade that for a 30 pt producer.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I'm not sure i see a 30 goal season in Virtanen let alone a 50.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I'm not sure i see a 30 goal season in Virtanen let alone a 50.

Well Neely himself wouldn't score 50 in today's NHL so I'm not sure that is what the poster is really expecting but I do agree even that is likely too optimistic. Perhaps he was more referring to Neely's 'style' of physicality and goal production rather than the 'level'.

I personally see Jake more in the Chris Kreider mould of speed+physicality who can produce 20-25 goals on a regular basis and maybe reach 30 in the odd year. Still a player I'd much rather have than a 28-year old defensive 3C who anchors the bottom 6 but does nothing for the top 6. That's a role I'd rather leave open for Cole Cassels than trade a kid like Jake for.

Well Neely himself wouldn't score 50 in today's NHL so I'm not sure that is what the poster is really expecting but I do agree even that is likely too optimistic. Perhaps he was more referring to Neely's 'style' of physicality and goal production rather than the 'level'.

I personally see Jake more in the Chris Kreider mould of speed+physicality who can produce 20-25 goals on a regular basis and maybe reach 30 in the odd year. Still a player I'd much rather have than a 28-year old defensive 3C who anchors the bottom 6 but does nothing for the top 6. That's a role I'd rather leave open for Cole Cassels than trade a kid like Jake for.

I do agree to a certain extent, he's not as rawly skilled as some of his draft class peers. His only hope to gather points in the NHL is through goals. But when you draw up a hockey player, or ask someone who doesn't reallly follow the game what a "hockey player" is, you'll see more people describe a Virtanen than an Ehlers or a Nylander. He's mean. He throws hits. He's cocky. He has the hardest shot of any forward in his age group and can hit the net. With the right supporting cast, he can score as many goals as they serve him up.

Also, I see his upside as more like Jeff Carter than Kreider. Just a little more dynamic, a little harder to contain, and a little meaner. Carter has gone from being an explosive offensive dynamo/integral piece on a cup-winner to damn near invisible at different points in his career. Unfortunately I can see Jake being the same way. But at his best, he will be a hell of a player and fun to watch. Thankfully Bo is heralded for his consistency, and can hopefully balance Jake out.

Edited by nergish
  • Upvote 1

Cry me a river.

If it's best for an unpaid player's development then it should be allowed.

In the case of Virtanen, what's to be gained from another year with the Hitman?

IMO, not much as he should be playing against men somewhere else.

I think they will have him in the pressbox with Kenins to start the year and dole out his 9 games over the first half of the year, put him into world junior, and then send him to the A in the new year. Unless he dominates, which would be amazing. People predicting his goal ceiling aren't imagining him being set up by the Sedins the way I am.

But he seems like the perfect example of someone not to send to junior.

I think they will have him in the pressbox with Kenins to start the year and dole out his 9 games over the first half of the year, put him into world junior, and then send him to the A in the new year. Unless he dominates, which would be amazing. People predicting his goal ceiling aren't imagining him being set up by the Sedins the way I am.

But he seems like the perfect example of someone not to send to junior.

Yeah, we have no urgent need to put Jake in the lineup, but he certainly brings intangibles that our team is currently lacking. I think your overall assessment sounds pretty reasonable. He will absolutely play in the NHL, but a 9 game window is far too short for a player like this. They'll stretch it out a little bit and have him practice with the team for the first 1/4. Then maybe he will go back down, but this fan is hoping he sticks like Horvat, cuz we need these guys to be a huge part of our team going forward. Edited by nergish

I said 'potential.' I don't think he'll be a 50 goal scorer like Neely; I just think he'll be similarly hard to play against.

Hopefully come next year, we won't have to imagine. :) I'm in what seems to be the minority of people who wants Lucic here next year, so long as the contract isn't nuts. I think he could add a lot even away from his play on the ice. I would be more than happy seeing Lucic mentor Virt.

Lucic is slow, has hands of stone. We don't need caveman hockey. What is he going to teach Virtanen? How to spear a player in the pills from behind? run a few goalies? miss open nets? If he was any good, he'd still be in Boston.

Edited by clutesi
  • Upvote 2

Lucic is slow, has hands of stone. We don't need caveman hockey. What is he going to teach Virtanen? How to spear a player in the pills from behind? run a few goalies? miss open nets? If he was any good, he'd still be in Boston.

Virtanen grew up watching Lucic with the Giants.

Yeah, we have no urgent need to put Jake in the lineup, but he certainly brings intangibles that our team is currently lacking. I think your overall assessment sounds pretty reasonable. He will absolutely play in the NHL, but a 9 game window is far too short for a player like this. They'll stretch it out a little bit and have him practice with the team for the first 1/4. Then maybe he will go back down, but this fan is hoping he sticks like Horvat, cuz we need these guys to be a huge part of our team going forward.

He can't go to the A until after Christmas, and he can't play in the World Junior if he plays more than 9 games (right?)