The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

While it's possible, I wouldn't say it's likely. We still lack a prospect that more definitively has that #1 center potential. Maybe Horvat gets there (or we surround him with elite wingers in the same way we did Linden with Bure), or maybe McCann does, but there's a ways to go before we can say that with any certainty.

That's true of all prospects. Even the top picks sometimes don't work out. Is Mackinnon a number one centre? He's pretty much a winger now. (Albeit potentially a very good one) I see Horvat's improvement during his first season as an indication of what is to come. Some might say he was our best centre in the playoffs. Yes, I agree with you; he could plateau, but that's true of all prospects.

Do Virtanen and Boeser, have what indicates they could become top wingers, in your opinion?

Why not? Jake would be the best power forward the Twins ever played with. In fact, the Twins have never had a guy with Jake's skill set on their line. Would you prefer Lucic? I could see him as a good fit too.

how about neither? By the time Jake is ready to play in the NHL, the Sedins will almost have retired.

or mayb he heads to the bench and thinks "huh i should keep my head up". You think everyone "takes a number" after a hit?

Nope. I know for a fact that not everyone takes a number. If Vrbata takes a hard hit he's not going to try to go after the guy. He has stated before in interviews that he avoids contact and deliberately tries to fly under the radar. Jake on the other hand loooooves physical play and yes I believe if he gets leveled, he's going to go back at someone.

I really think the only thing that could keep him off the team is lack of discipline and taking stupid penalties. He has been known to take dumb penalties in the past and if there are too many that end up costing the team goals against, he may be hard pressed to stick with the team. Fortunately we most likely have one of the best pk in the league again this year.

Hopefully some of the veteran guys get in his ear early and let him know that 'hey kid we got this covered. You just go play'. We have plenty of sh!t disturbers on this team and that should free Jake up to play hard, but not get into gooning it up like he was expected to in junior.

Yeah, Pretty much. Whether he's ready or not he'll be on the team. He's a Benning pick and a Benning guy. He has a couple elements we were lacking last year; Speed and physicality.

Could he be like Lucic but better? He has had some good scraps, hits like a cement truck and would be great if he was a 25 goal guy.

• Upvote 1

The World Championships replay was on tonight as TSN is looking to get some preliminary audience numbers for the World Cup of Hockey next year, and I had to look at Brock Nelson as a comparable to Virtanen, at least in the early stages of their NHL careers. Ceilings, well who knows, but the way he plays, I wouldn't mind Jake giving a similar effort at a young age.

That's true of all prospects. Even the top picks sometimes don't work out. Is Mackinnon a number one centre? He's pretty much a winger now. (Albeit potentially a very good one) I see Horvat's improvement during his first season as an indication of what is to come. Some might say he was our best centre in the playoffs. Yes, I agree with you; he could plateau, but that's true of all prospects.

Do Virtanen and Boeser, have what indicates they could become top wingers, in your opinion?

Can we not do this whole Mackinnon thing over again?

I am not as sold on Jake being a shoe in for a spot this year like I was Horvat last year. Horvat is built like a truck and defensively sound. And very mature.

I feel right now Jake is built tough too, but I have not seen his defence and I am not entirely sure how mature he is. I do think he has a very good shot at cracking the roster though. And hope he does make it, I love his game. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

Umm what? Jake will be in the NHL this year, you can quote me on it.

I think you're likely right but I'd be really, REALLY, REALLY surprised if it was in a 1st line role.

Why not?

Virtanen = North/South

Sedins = not remotely North/South.

I'm not sure their play styles would complement each other. I'd be quite surprised if they did. ~2 years from now Virtanen would look FANTASTIC beside ~2 years ago Kesler though IMO :lol:

Edited by J.R.

I am not as sold on Jake being a shoe in for a spot this year like I was Horvat last year. Horvat is built like a truck and defensively sound. And very mature.

I feel right now Jake is built tough too, but I have not seen his defence and I am not entirely sure how mature he is. I do think he has a very good shot at cracking the roster though. And hope he does make it, I love his game. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

Well it is certainly true that Horvat's defensive game was/is very advanced for his age and that certainly helped him make an early transition to the NHL but ...

Centres >>> Wingers in terms of defensive responsibilities. Jake may be much more raw as a defensive player but at the same time he will not have the level of defensive responsibility put on him that Bo (as a centre) did.

As long as he is "decent", I think he'll get the nod. Very few offensive wingers move straight from junior to the NHL with "strong" defensive games. It is typically something that is learned and improved upon over time.

You must have insane prediction skills, because Bo was in absolutely no way a "shoe-in" last season. Our new mgmt promised a playoff position, that season was not supposed to be a rookie coming out party. Nobody in the system imagined a 19 year old would have been a major contributor to us making the playoffs and then being a important player in the post-season.

As I've said before, I think Jake has things easier than Bo. Before Horvat emerged last year, we were paranoid that none of our current prospects would ever make the jump and become legitimate NHL players. Bo had all the pressure on him to blaze the trail, now Jake just needs to show up and play his game. He makes the team because his specific strengths are exactly what our team has been lacking for far too long. Bo made the team because he willed himself into being a dependable option for coach Willie and by doing everything the right way all season long.

I also thought that way. But after seeing Virtanen handle himself quite well in the AHL playoffs, I changed my mind a bit. A player that can earn the trust of the coach for the AHL playoff games and handle the physicality of the playoff games can probably handle the NHL regular season games, especially the first 25 games.

But I still don't think he will make the starting roster for the season opener unless there is an injury. He will begin as the 13th forward.