The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think it's in the CBA that the teams have to leave the guys alone in the summer.  Bo most likely would have nothing to do with a guy like Virtanen.  I doubt Jake ever worked hard a day in his life, to be honest.  I say Jake pays up, and spends the summer at that hockey camp that ex Flames player runs in Ontario: Gary Roberts?

Selling hockey players short there Alf, regardless of what you think every player has to work hard to get to the NHL. Put it this way what where you doing between the age of 15 and 18? These kids have to balance school and 72 games of hockey well trying to cope being away from home. For some it will come easier then others, but all have to work hard at it.

Edited by vancan2233

4 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Selling hockey players short there Alf, regardless of what you think every player has to work hard to get to the NHL. Put it this way what where you doing between the age of 15 and 18? These kids have to balance school and 72 games of hockey well trying to cope being away from home. For some it will come easier then others, but all have to work hard at it.

Don't argue with Alf.

You'll start making serious sense with irrefutable arguments and he'll resort to some namby pamby anecdote about being from another planet and not someone who is just genuinely without clue of what they are speaking of only to revisit the argument a week later.

It got old pretty quickly

• Upvote 2

Instead of making comparisons to former players (Bertuzzi, Torres, Bossy::D), why not let Virt be Virt. I think @Alflives has it right; if he comes in fit, then a keeper. I think another year in the AHL would benefit him; this year was to teach him responsibility and work habits. Next year, provided we actually sign them, I wonder what a line would produce like if made up of the two college kids and Virt.

To me, it looks like he has a bit of a fragile psych. Let's not weigh him down with expectations to live up to, about former players. If he develops into a steady 20 goal scorer, with very good defensive responsibility and continues to hit like he can, then I'll be satisfied. I'm not expecting a 30+ goal scorer out of him. I think that one 40 goal year in the minors was a bit of an aberration.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Don't argue with Alf.

You'll start making serious sense with irrefutable arguments and he'll resort to some namby pamby anecdote about being from another planet and not someone who is just genuinely without clue of what they are speaking of only to revisit the argument a week later.

It got old pretty quickly

Or maybe say how cute your avatar is, then ask you if Tanev is enough for Reinhart.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Or maybe say how cute your avatar is, then ask you if Tanev is enough for Reinhart.

Our Yeah don't forget 95% of alfs posts have to end with a question mark regardless if it's a question or not.

Vancouver is literally a terrible market for Jake as well. He may be better served by getting out of Vancouver where he'll consistently be held to a standard that probably isn't fair. It's not his fault he was drafted high. If he came in a 4th rounder and was out of shape he'd be given the benefit of the doubt. In Vancouver its likely the kiss of death. Most 'fans' will never get past his early struggles. 

1 hour ago, vancan2233 said:

It seems like with all the bickering around Virtanen that he has been in the system for 5+ years. Correct me if I am wrong, but did he not show enough of what got him drafted to make management believe he had earned a spot to start on the team out of his first training camp.

Didn't Benning say he preferred Jake with the main team than in the minors? I think that was more a case of the club not wanting Jake to rot with the Hitmen... doubt he stayed up purely on merit considering how inept he looked that season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

Didn't Benning say he preferred Jake with the main team than in the minors? I think that was more a case of the club not wanting Jake to rot with the Hitmen... doubt he stayed up purely on merit considering how inept he looked that season. 

Not how I remember it, Benning preferred he say because Jake was showing he belonged at the time of the decision. Jake was hitting, crashing the net and although not scoring getting chances. His first few games he was playing good. It was about 20 games in something went wrong.

4 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

A guy that's an absolute freak in the gym, a track star and a pro athlete never worked hard a day in his life? That's just an idiotic comment. Why wouldn't Bo want to hang with him? The kid is an absolute beauty. I agree with the training regiment for sure. He's immature, that's his problem. I'm sure the ahl stint has been a real wake up call for him. This is the first time he's ever had failure in his hockey career. He'll be ready to go next year. 

The guys been a rockstar his entire life and hearing all those stupid commercials pumping his tires pre season prolly went to his head. 

Hes playing better lately, a lot better. I'd be shocked if he doesn't come into camp jacked and looking for blood

Jake was playing well at the end of last season too.  Maybe he's gotten into the bad habit of playing himself into shape?

2 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

Not how I remember it, Benning preferred he say because Jake was showing he belonged at the time of the decision. Jake was hitting, crashing the net and although not scoring getting chances. His first few games he was playing good. It was about 20 games in something went wrong.

Do you have a quote? 

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake was playing well at the end of last season too.  Maybe he's gotten into the bad habit of playing himself into shape?

He came into camp out of shape plain and simple. Who knows why?! The kid probably parties too much. I was in a golf tournament in whistler which he and a bunch of other nucks/nhlers were in and he was probably the biggest party animal of the bunch. I never seen him on the course so maybe I shouldn't run my mouth but he was definitely the talk of the after party

22 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

He came into camp out of shape plain and simple. Who knows why?! The kid probably parties too much. I was in a golf tournament in whistler which he and a bunch of other nucks/nhlers were in and he was probably the biggest party animal of the bunch. I never seen him on the course so maybe I shouldn't run my mouth but he was definitely the talk of the after party

I like the kid.  He seems like a good guy, but I really hope he figures out how to be a pro, especially when he's not being supervised.

4 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

They made a mistake when they proclaimed Jake and Jared had made the team. Both should have gone back before the 40 game mark and preserved their elc, but they made a spectacle out of them making the team and backed themselves into a corner. Jake is a 1/2 year behind. He's not someone who needs to rely on other players to make him better, so he has a leg up on the rest of the Canucks' prospects near him. 

Every time Benning is asked about the direction of the team he says we wanna get faster and more physical. Who else would he have taken in the draft? It was a no-brainer from his point of view and I have to say I would have done the same thing. Jake has another year to prove himself in the minors if he doesn't make the Canucks next season. 

The Canucks just haven't sucked enough in the past 10 years to have been forced to play green rookies. The Detroit model worked for 25 years and it should be the model for development. Just because we picked 6th, doesn't mean we were a bottom dweller and needed to put that player into the lineup the way that other teams are forced to. 

Jake needed a pee-pee slap, an attitude adjustment and a lesson in humility. He has received all of those and will be a better hockey player for it. If the Comets make the playoffs, there's a great opportunity for the prospects to get even better, and the Canucks get a better draft pick. 

I fail to see the problem with jake spending his 1st year of AHL eligibility in the AHL.

Absolutely 1 million percent right. So right it's wrong lol. This is the first time he's ever "failed" in his life (hockeywise). Let's not forget the kids age. He's a little immature....so sue him, he's only a kid. He'll fig it out

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like the kid.  He seems like a good guy, but I really hope he figures out how to be a pro, especially when he's not being supervised.

He's a cocky little sh*t lol, he's just trained how to talk/act infront of the camera. He'll figure it out. The ahl stint is prolly a huge wake up call for him. Kids got all the tools just needs to get his head on straight and he'll be a force for us

• Upvote 1

more interested in seeing his off-season, and then him coming into training camp. hope he's ready to go this coming season. 

more realistically, he's probably going to be back in the AHL. and he should be there for another season. hopefully he works hard, and he gets a few call ups. 

hoping his offensive game will absolutely take off next year. 

I wonder if they can take pictures and video and be like Jake you need to come into camp in this condition at this weight. If comes to camp overweight again next year, I'm going to blame our strength and conditioning coaches as well. He's not a conditioning expert, needs to be taught and then buy in a la tryamkin

25 minutes ago, Derp... said:

I wonder if they can take pictures and video and be like Jake you need to come into camp in this condition at this weight. If comes to camp overweight again next year, I'm going to blame our strength and conditioning coaches as well. He's not a conditioning expert, needs to be taught and then buy in a la tryamkin

You can bring a horse to water. You can't make it drink.

• Upvote 1