The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

He does have an extremely unique package, anybody with a set of eye balls can see that and I have no problems admitting that I was wrong but i'm not going to do that after one 2 game goal scoring streak.  He needs to prove that he can bring this type of play on a night to night basis.  

I agree he, and all NHL players, need to bring it every night.   I further agree with you that a short sample size is a dangerous way to draw a conclusion and I personally want to see a few seasons like the past week from the guy to say he has fully emerged but I found his play in Utica last year quite encouraging and he seems to have taken another step beyond that which is good.

13 hours ago, Darius71 said:

and im bewildered by those crowing about a 18,19 and 20 year old being not good enough with the implication that he will be a bust.  

Its not just the 2gs 1a, its how basically how all aspects of his game have vastly improved from what we saw last year at the NHL level.  Those who followed him in Utica, during the latter half of the season, saw the the progression.

I do wonder what % of those who iterate this phrase on here actually watched him play in Utica last season. 

He has progressed, I don't think anyone can deny that. He's now using his speed and size to his advantage. More importantly, he's now coasting much, much less although he, at times, is guilty of day-dreaming (which is really not a big deal considering how much he's improved in this category).

Now the question is whether he can improve his shot because it's the same issue as last season. I think that's what'll decide whether he's a bottom six energy player or a top six player in the NHL. A good NHL shot isn't only determined by the power of the shot but also by the accuracy. The one goal (on a rebound) on eight shots shouldn't be happening - and it's not an outlier to last season. 

Edited by guntrix

16 hours ago, guntrix said:

Bewildered as to how 2 Gs, 1 A is enough for anyone to eat crow. 

It’s not his point production but his overall play and the progression he’s made since his demotion last year. At that time everyone was labelling him a bust and saying he didn’t have what it took to make it in the NHL. After a year developing under Green he’s shown this year to be the opposite. While he may not be lighting it up on the scoresheet he has easily been one of best/most exciting forwards this year. His speed and forchecking have caused multiple turnovers and has led to him having countless scoring opportunities which he is finally starting to covert on. If early season is any indication he could easily pot 15-20 goals and 35-40 points. He will need to continue playing the way he has been but if he can the sky is the limit. 

39 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah I must of skipped over those pages.. There was plenty of hate but the rest of your statement is slander, nobody said he doesn't have what it takes to play in the NHL, unless it was some dude who only signs on to his account once every three months.  

Not trying to start a fight here but how was my post slander? I simply pointed out that multiple people questioned his ability, which is eveident by the pages I mentioned above. I never made bust comments and chalked up his deficiencies to being a young player learning the game at the pro level. The eating crow comment, made by someone else, was aimed at the people who had been questioning his ability(as seen in the pages I mentioned) and I simply stated that it’s not just point production that he’s been contributing to the team this year. I’m a firm believer in his ability and feel like he can/will become the PF we hoped he would when drafted. 

Edited by Spitfire_Spiky
Spelling

I'm sooo impressed by Virtanen this year. He is just so fast and his puck control hasn't really suffered at top speed. One thing that has really stood out to me is his passion for the game and he is having fun. Last year he seemed pretty directionless (is that a word?) and unsure of himself. TG has obviously been good for him and as his confidence grows its looking like he could be the power winger we are looking for.

13 hours ago, guntrix said:

I do wonder what % of those who iterate this phrase on here actually watched him play in Utica last season. 

He has progressed, I don't think anyone can deny that. He's now using his speed and size to his advantage. More importantly, he's now coasting much, much less although he, at times, is guilty of day-dreaming (which is really not a big deal considering how much he's improved in this category).

Now the question is whether he can improve his shot because it's the same issue as last season. I think that's what'll decide whether he's a bottom six energy player or a top six player in the NHL. A good NHL shot isn't only determined by the power of the shot but also by the accuracy. The one goal (on a rebound) on eight shots shouldn't be happening - and it's not an outlier to last season. 

I'm going to agree with you here, which makes me want to punch myself in the face, but his shot from the right wing is ineffectual. He either needs to take the shot from further out, try to carry it more towards the middle of the ice, or carry it  behind the net to lose the defender. His shooting percentage last year was very low and it is due to that shot from the right side that gets gobbled up by the goalie every time.

I actually did watch a few dozen games last season and it really is no surprise when you see people commenting on how good he looks on left wing. That's because all of his scoring highlights come from the left side of the ice, yet I didn't see him line up on the left side, except for the power play time he got for several games.

I imagine that he's gaining a lot of confidence getting shots and chances, but I definitely think he should try to do more with the puck. So far so good this season. He's been taking another small step every game and having the Sedins as basically on ice coaches is serving him well. 

1 hour ago, Honey-Badger-Hansen said:

Saw this on the Canucks reddit a few days ago, not sure if this was already posted but gave me a good laugh

IMG_0428.PNG

I like this.  Jake clearly has both confidence and an edge.  I really am starting to see great things coming from this kid, and soon.