The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Anson Carter and Trent Klatt did well with the Twins too.  The Twins are just getting old.  It happens to everyone.  

Put Granlund on their line and I'll bet their stats improve.  Puck hound, defensive awareness, scoring potential and great hockey sense.  They're old, but they should be getting at least 40-50 pts this year.  Meanwhile, Granny is stuck with 'never gonna pass the puck Sutter' and has a whopping 3pts this year.

16 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I doubt if Burr or Granny would agree with you there.

Do you want me to go down the list on the other side of the equation? I agree that Granlund did well there last year but then he played well with pretty much everyone last year. Granlund-Sutter-Gaunce have been a decent shutdown line to date. 

I wouldn't be surprised if something happened behind the scenes like JV being 5 min late for a meeting or something else minor.  I just think his benching has something more to do with simply not being physical enough because that could be said for everybody else on the team not named Dorsett or Biega.

I've noticed Jake is a wee bit slower than he was at the beginning of the year. Not by much but at first he always seemed one step ahead of where the play was going. Now he just keeps up. When he has his energy up and skates hard it seems to feed him more creative opportunities. And better hits. 

Sometimes I think players try to follow instructions too much and creates hesitation in their game. I think he just has to simplify his game and work hard. And go the net and keep his stick on the ice and the Sedins will find it.

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I've noticed Jake is a wee bit slower than he was at the beginning of the year. Not by much but at first he always seemed one step ahead of where the play was going. Now he just keeps up. When he has his energy up and skates hard it seems to feed him more creative opportunities. And better hits. 

Sometimes I think players try to follow instructions too much and creates hesitation in their game. I think he just has to simplify his game and work hard. And go the net and keep his stick on the ice and the Sedins will find it.

This was said when Jake was at the WJC, when he played under Willie and it’s already started now with Travis.

He’s going to run out of racetrack sooner or later.

"I want to give my team the best chance to win" - Green who's team is now 1-3 without Virtanen in the lineup.

Last night the Canucks were slow and definitely not physical.  JV must of missed a meeting or something because on the surface this is a great way to destroy a prospect.  Did they draft JV to be a checking 3rd/4th liner?  Why are they singling him out to be more physical?  And why not call out the plethora of other players that are no shows as of late?  Just let the dam kid play. 

• Upvote 3

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, aGENT said:

In fairness to NB, the PP has sucked for a few years now when he wasn't even coaching here. Perhaps the PP coach isn't the problem (or at least not the main problem.)

IMO, the PP will continue to be bottom 10 of the league until the rebuild is more complete and especially, we have a legit PMD/PPQB on the point. Pouliot may eventually develop in to that guy, we may draft Dahlin etc but until we have a consistent threat, all the rearranging of deck chairs or different coaches/different systems matters very little.

Take the twins and Edler off the PP and it will look a lot more dangerous. Trust me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

Take the twins and Edler off the PP and it will look a lot more dangerous. Trust me.

I'm not denying that the PP could be better - anything can always be improved - I'm saying that at best, until we have a PMD, PPQB (and more rebuilt team) you're looking at a 20-25 PP rather than a 25-31 PP.

It's not going to be the earth shattering difference CDC seems to think it will be. 

bloodfromastone.15704.jpg

• Cheers 1

I think the key with Jake at this point is to keep him hungry, to keep him playing with an edge and not to get too comfortable.

Unfortunately, it looks like the easiest place to slot him in the line up is with the Sedins.  I said before, players who compliment his skill set are who he should play with.  More speed, guys who can set him up etc

Horvat, Baertschi, Boeser, Granlund.....

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I think the key with Jake at this point is to keep him hungry, to keep him playing with an edge and not to get too comfortable.

Unfortunately, it looks like the easiest place to slot him in the line up is with the Sedins.  I said before, players who compliment his skill set are who he should play with.  More speed, guys who can set him up etc

Horvat, Baertschi, Boeser, Granlund.....

When Eriksson is straightened out or bought out and the Sedins are gone, it should be easier to figure out where Virtanen should be.  It makes no sense to put two guys who are slow puck control guys with a young demon like Virtanen.  He needs quick players and maybe people who can hold their own physically (Boeser, Virtanen, Horvat would be one tough line to push off the puck.)  No player should feel bound to play the physical game his mates can't or won't play.  It makes him less than he should be.  

Alf is right: let him go!!  Unleash him.  With the Sedins he was either trying to play cute/set them up or chase down pucks and stand in front of the net.  A good job for Maroon, or even Burrows, but Virt has more upside actually.   He would be fantastic with Draisaitl and McDavid, truth be known, but that will only happen if he's traded.  (Ahhh..... don't trade him!!!) 

Too bad for Jake. It looks like another player they're trying to turn into the player they'd like him to be instead of letting him be himself.

Who tells a player you've got to get a hit a shift( or period) when he can freewheel within their system and still be an asset doing what he does best.That being using his size, speed and shot and letting the hits come to him, instead of chasing hits all over the ice and getting out of position. that way he loses all the qualities that made him a 6th pick overall. And is getting $&!# on by Green because he's always out of position.

They are going to confuse him and lose him and this has been a Canuck trait of bad management of players since the beginning. Haven't these canuck coaches learned anything  in almost 50 yrs.?  

On 11/14/2017 at 10:02 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't understand what Greens MO is with Jake either. He'll learn with more icetime, and get better, especially if he isn't handcuffed by playing with the Sedins.

Regarding the PP, it's a pathetic joke. Newell Brown should be fired ASAP for thinking that trotting out the same formations and predictable puck movement will help generate any different outcome. It's embarrassing that the powerplay has been this bad for this long, and still the Sedins are getting time on the man advantage while barely being able to keep the puck in the zone.

Yep. I'd like to know as well what Green's plan for Virtanen is, because it doesn't look like he's going to grow his game and improve by sitting in the press box. 

I personally also don't think Eriksson deserves to be back in. He has done almost nothing since he's signed with the Canucks. Worse signing by this franchise in a long time. 

1 hour ago, mrreindeer said:

Too bad for Jake. It looks like another player they're trying to turn into the player they'd like him to be instead of letting him be himself.

Who tells a player you've got to get a hit a shift( or period) when he can freewheel within their system and still be an asset doing what he does best.That being using his size, speed and shot and letting the hits come to him, instead of chasing hits all over the ice and getting out of position. that way he loses all the qualities that made him a 6th pick overall. And is getting $&!# on by Green because he's always out of position.

They are going to confuse him and lose him and this has been a Canuck trait of bad management of players since the beginning. Haven't these canuck coaches learned anything  in almost 50 yrs.?  

apparently not. I just want Jake to be Jake, and play his game. I want him to score goals! That's what he can do. I don't want Virtanen to be a 4th line grinder. But, with that being said, it's probably what he turns out to be with the way that Green and management seems to want him to be. Sad, really.