The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

15 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

For a one year, sounds good. For Virt, would prefer 2 yr at $1.375 per, with  some bonus escalators built in. Hopefully, by the end of that contract, we should know if he is going to be merely a 4th line grinder with superb speed and questionable hockey IQ...or has he figured it out and is on pace for a regular 3rd liner that can slide up when needed.

10 minutes ago, rekker said:

I like the idea of the bonuses. 

I'm pretty sure that bonuses are only allowed for ELCs and short deals for players over 35.

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'd consider $1.5M to be bottom six dollars, but maybe my estimation is off.

Regardless of his salary, it’s going to net him a Heck of A LOT of cash.  He’s going to have WAY more cash than his buddies.  I worry that Jake continues to have trouble putting things (his being a total pro - on and off the ice) into proper perspective.  I accept it’s his money to do with as he pleases, but it might be better for Jake to have his money locked in an investment account, and he’s given only a weekly (normal) stipend.  I don’t think he’s mature enough to balance the wealth and the need to be a complete pro.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Regardless of his salary, it’s going to net him a Heck of A LOT of cash.  He’s going to have WAY more cash than his buddies.  I worry that Jake continues to have trouble putting things (his being a total pro - on and off the ice) into proper perspective.  I accept it’s his money to do with as he pleases, but it might be better for Jake to have his money locked in an investment account, and he’s given only a weekly (normal) stipend.  I don’t think he’s mature enough to balance the wealth and the need to be a complete pro.

So much talent. Hope he doesn't piss it away. Seems to be trending in the right direction though.  BC boy and a Canuck so I think we all want to see him succeed here. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

So much talent. Hope he doesn't piss it away. Seems to be trending in the right direction though.  BC boy and a Canuck so I think we all want to see him succeed here. 

Jake is likely the one prospect we all worry the most about, while cheering the hardest for to succeed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Green believes in Jake. As does Benning. The kid will be fine. He's been hitting like a Mack truck lately, and his reverse slam on Kronwall is a highlight of the year already. 

He can skate and score and has shown the player he can be. This team could really use Jake to be consistent. He has the gifts. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 2

I just wish he mucks it up a bit more.  Not saying he should be dropping the gloves as frequently as what Dorsett does, but at least a few times per year.  None of those staged fights, but where a teammate takes a cheapshot (a la Boeser) or when trying to make a statement when the team needs a boost or when you feel the team is being pushed around too much.

He's a strong, big guy.  Jake should be scaring people like what Lucic used to. 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Green believes in Jake. As does Benning. The kid will be fine. He's been hitting like a Mack truck lately, and his reverse slam on Kronwall is a highlight of the year already. 

He can skate and score and has shown the player he can be. This team could really use Jake to be consistent. He has the gifts. 

I am not so sure Green believes in him so much, as he doesn't show it in playing him like he believes in him

Benning? He drafted him, would he draft him again if he could?

Pretty generous saying that based on 6 goals (and one i know of into a empty net) :)  

Now Boeser, and that kid McDavid who just scored 4 tonight, They can score goals :)

Lets hope he can score a lot more than he has, and if he doesn't get there, getting teams shorthanded by hitting them and having them retaliate and keeping their scorers off the ice while being shorthanded, can be effective too

9 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I am not so sure Green believes in him so much, as he doesn't show it in playing him like he believes in him

Green's bringing him along slowly. Virtanen has all the tools but is VERY raw and needs a lot of molding and maturing. Patience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Bert wants to join the org if their is an option to do so.

Is he offering his help or is he angling for a job? Maybe I am being cynical but I want to know what "I can help" means. Does it mean "Jake can come to me for help whenever he wants"? Or is it "Hire me and I can help this former 6th overall pick find his game"? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Is he offering his help or is he angling for a job? Maybe I am being cynical but I want to know what "I can help" means. Does it mean "Jake can come to me for help whenever he wants"? Or is it "Hire me and I can help this former 6th overall pick find his game"? 

Once a Canuck, always a Canuck comment says to me he wants to be. Involved in some capacity.  Believe he said he'd be happy to help anywhere he can. With Jr players, AHL, NHL whatever the teams need.  He could be a decent skills coach. I see him getting a closer look at like dev camp but who knows.  just depends if he would tie the line and reinforce Greens message to the players. That would be my concern.  If he's a guy who can follow direction and not make it about himself he could be a good add. Seems like he has grown a lot since his tenure in Vancouver.

• Like 1

Interesting statements. If he really wants to help out, why not mentor JV himself?  He really doesn't have to be in the capacity of the Canucks organization to do that.  I know as he neared the end of his career things turned a little sour for him and he had depression, etc.  This can be a good focus for him, and make him feel like a winner again ensuring his prodigy succeeds.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Once a Canuck, always a Canuck comment says to me he wants to be. Involved in some capacity.  Believe he said he'd be happy to help anywhere he can. With Jr players, AHL, NHL whatever the teams need.  He could be a decent skills coach. I see him getting a closer look at like dev camp but who knows.  just depends if he would tie the line and reinforce Greens message to the players. That would be my concern.  If he's a guy who can follow direction and not make it about himself he could be a good add. Seems like he has grown a lot since his tenure in Vancouver.

If he is the best candidate to fill a post then I would do it. I just don't want the Canucks emulating what the Oilers have done in giving jobs to people with ties to the organization just because they were good players during their playing days. Good players don't always make the best coaches, GMs or even talent evaluators.

If Bert wants to be a mentor then that would be great, I get the sense Jake could really use someone like that. If he wants to coach I would be a little more wary. Green has been working with Jake for a while now, instilling good work habits and trying to get him to be consistent in his effort at both ends of the ice. 

Edited by Toews
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1