The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Virtanen is showing in this game against the Stars everything he can be in the NHL.  He is hitting.  He is skating.   He is scoring.   He is setting up plays.   He is all the things he can be and is creating all nature of havoc and problems for a big Stars team in their own building.    If Jake played this way each game, he would be a 20 plus goal scorer and consistent top 6 player for any team in the league.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Virtanen is showing in this game against the Stars everything he can be in the NHL.  He is hitting.  He is skating.   He is scoring.   He is setting up plays.   He is all the things he can be and is creating all nature of havoc and problems for a big Stars team in their own building.    If Jake played this way each game, he would be a 20 plus goal scorer and consistent top 6 player for any team in the league.

Happy for him. It's there. Now to dial in the consistancy. 

47 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Jake has had solid games in the past, as did Kassian. The problem with these kinds of players is consistency, as rekker said above. 

13 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Jake has had solid games in the past, as did Kassian. The problem with these kinds of players is consistency, as rekker said above. 

Yeah, I think with someone like Jake, we have to take things one step at a time. Clearly, he's better mentally now than he was even a year ago and I've always considered consistency a mental attribute more than anything. Not to mention, when you're using the body more than a typical hockey player as a power forward (or a grinder depending on how one sees Virtanen), that's a fair bit more demanding physically; thus, also a little more demanding mentally at times, although that really is going to depend on the person too.

I remember when Kesler first entered the league. He had a chip on his shoulder but I remember some games he just wasn't there and people were questioning his consistency. The question then comes "will it happen?"

Edited by The Lock

11 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Hes got the tools...hopefully he can build off this game and bring in some more consistency.

He played 12 excellent 5 on 5 minutes.  I just wish he would commit to being a pro 100%.  Like you say, he has some exceptional tools. 

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

Agreed but that is what the seasoning is all about.   Bertuzzi was that for Islanders, first star in one game and then a month of missing in action.   They gave up on him and he proceeded to be one of the top power forwards in the game for many seasons.   It can be that way for these guys for some reason.   I played with a bunch of talented "bigger" guys and it was not universal but certainly a trend in that they simply "got" the game much later and seeing them blossom at 22 to 25 versus 20 to 23 as far more the norm than the exception.   

Just seeing his combination of strength, speed and determination tonight you could see what a force he would be in the playoffs at some point for this team.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Agreed but that is what the seasoning is all about.   Bertuzzi was that for Islanders, first star in one game and then a month of missing in action.   They gave up on him and he proceeded to be one of the top power forwards in the game for many seasons.   It can be that way for these guys for some reason.   I played with a bunch of talented "bigger" guys and it was not universal but certainly a trend in that they simply "got" the game much later and seeing them blossom at 22 to 25 versus 20 to 23 as far more the norm than the exception.   

Just seeing his combination of strength, speed and determination tonight you could see what a force he would be in the playoffs at some point for this team.

Don’t know why really, but the heavier guys tend to get going later in their careers, and later in seasons too.  Maybe it has something to do with developing aerobic fitness, and for the heavier guys it takes a couple extra years?  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don’t know why really, but the heavier guys tend to get going later in their careers, and later in seasons too.  Maybe it has something to do with developing aerobic fitness, and for the heavier guys it takes a couple extra years?  

Maybe cateater but I have my own theory - I think these man-child types had it soooo easy growing up that they never really had to work at it to dominate and then they find themselves in the pros and have to start learning for the first time and it puts them back a bit and takes a few years to have it sink in that they cannot just get by being the biggest/fastest or whatever anymore.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Agreed but that is what the seasoning is all about.   Bertuzzi was that for Islanders, first star in one game and then a month of missing in action.   They gave up on him and he proceeded to be one of the top power forwards in the game for many seasons.   It can be that way for these guys for some reason.  

I don't think Bertuzzi is a good example. Had Virtanen scored almost 40 points in his rookie season, most of us would be in wait and see mode for the simple fact that he showed, early in his career, that he has the ability to score semi-consistently. Jake hasn't shown any such precedent. You're essentially holding out for something that is likely to never happen and, as a result, you're setting unrealistic expectations on a young player who's only real fault is being drafted in a position he didn't deserve to be drafted in. 

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I remember many people thinking this when Kassian had his big 29 point season at 22 years old with us. I'll believe it when I see it. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There's no real pattern that shows this, despite popular CDC claims.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I don't think Bertuzzi is a good example. Had Virtanen scored almost 40 points in his rookie season, most of us would be in wait and see mode for the simple fact that he showed, early in his career, that he has the ability to score semi-consistently. Jake hasn't shown any such precedent. You're essentially holding out for something that is likely to never happen and, as a result, you're setting unrealistic expectations on a young player who's only real fault is being drafted in a position he didn't deserve to be drafted in. 

I remember many people thinking this when Kassian had his big 29 point season at 22 years old with us. I'll believe it when I see it. 

There's no real pattern that shows this, despite popular CDC claims.

You are inventing things.   Bertuzzi is the one quoted as saying not to give up on Jake.  No one but you is comparing their point totals or that of any other player (why bring Kassian up here?).

Of course Jake needs to prove he can bring this consistently and some of us (me) think he can, you don't believe it and that is fine but you don't need to start inventing things no one said.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You are inventing things.   Bertuzzi is the one quoted as saying not to give up on Jake.  No one but you is comparing their point totals or that of any other player (why bring Kassian up here?).

Of course Jake needs to prove he can bring this consistently and some of us (me) think he can, you don't believe it and that is fine but you don't need to start inventing things no one said.

The only one who makes things up on this forum is you, sir. You used the Bertuzzi example, and I said it wasn't a good example to use. No where in your post did you say you were referring to his quote. Here is what I quoted:

Agreed but that is what the seasoning is all about.   Bertuzzi was that for Islanders, first star in one game and then a month of missing in action.   They gave up on him and he proceeded to be one of the top power forwards in the game for many seasons.   It can be that way for these guys for some reason.  

If you're going to use Bertuzzi as an example of why we shouldn't give up on Virtanen, don't get your jimmies rustled if someone debunks your post.

I used the Kassian example to refer to a young power forward with high draft pedigree that played for us. 

• Upvote 4