The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Guys chill out, McDavid was at the end of his shift and Virtanen was just starting his

But with that being said, I have made the comment to a few of my buddies in the past.  "Virtanen is McDavid fast and could beat him in a race from one end of the rink to the other, but any shorter of a race I would give to McDavid because of his quickness, but when Jake gets going nobody can stop him.  

If Jake chooses to hit again. He could wreck McDavid and just about any other player in the league. The kid hits really hard if and when he decides to. And yes. I agree with you that once he gets his feet moving he's basically unstoppable in a straight line. But McDavid is a generational talent. Virtanen isn't even remotely close to that. 

On 2018-04-11 at 2:58 PM, N4ZZY said:

Yep. His hands now have to catch up to his feet. Reminds me a lot of Hansen, but with Jake, he's already better than Hansen was at the same age. Virtanen's going to be the better player, assuming of course, he continues to improve and grow his game. I think too many people make up a false narrative with his respect to his hockey IQ. He won't be a McDavid type of player, of course, but his hockey IQ, I don't think is as bad as some make it out to be. It's one of those things where, a narrative has started, and has stuck. Much like the Sedin narrative was that they were softies, and they were weak when they were anything but that. 

It’s not so much his hockey iq it’s the players he plays with, Jakes a very straight line player get the puck in work the boards and get it to the net. At the end of the year I thought him and bo had some good chemistry because they play similar styles, I’d like to see these lines next year

leipsic Pettersson Boeser 

Bear Bo Jake

Erikson Guad Goldy

Motte Sutter Boucher/Gaunce 

7 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

It’s not so much his hockey iq it’s the players he plays with, Jakes a very straight line player get the puck in work the boards and get it to the net. At the end of the year I thought him and bo had some good chemistry because they play similar styles, I’d like to see these lines next year

Bear Bo Jake

Erikson Guad Goldy

Leipsic is so over rated on these boards

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Bear Bo Jake

Erikson Guad Goldy

Two rookie centers sounds like a bad idea. Usually teams shelter a rookie center to get him favorable matchups to build confidence. Can't do that when you have two of them down the middle.

• Cheers 1

On 4/8/2018 at 6:33 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Here we are.  Long McDoobie shift or not, he was still skating hard and had a head start but once he gathered the puck Jake caught up and pulled away:

jv18-race.gif?w=572&h=322

For whatever reason, players going north, more times than not, seem to outpace players going south.  I don't know if this is psychological (e.g., Draisatl giving up on the backcheck at the blue line) or if it's because players going south have been on the ice for longer than players going north or any other reason. 

Jake's speed is impressive, but you know what would have been more impressive?  If he scored on the rush or made a deep drop to the trailer (a la Thomas Vanek) for a better scoring chance (McDavid does taps Jake's stick at the last moment which may have done enough to prevent a grade 1 scoring chance).

Hope we get to see more of this kind of effort and speed out of Jake next season.

3 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

For whatever reason, players going north, more times than not, seem to outpace players going south.  I don't know if this is psychological (e.g., Draisatl giving up on the backcheck at the blue line) or if it's because players going south have been on the ice for longer than players going north or any other reason. 

Jake's speed is impressive, but you know what would have been more impressive?  If he scored on the rush or made a deep drop to the trailer (a la Thomas Vanek) for a better scoring chance (McDavid does taps Jake's stick at the last moment which may have done enough to prevent a grade 1 scoring chance).

Hope we get to see more of this kind of effort and speed out of Jake next season.

I never noticed there was a Canuck tracing Jake on that play until you pointed out Draisaitl giving up on the play.

If Jake was thinking like Henrik Sedin, he would have made a drop pass and we would all be like WTF Jake? And one second later, the trailing player scores and we go, "oh, good. sorry." 

https://www.nhl.com/video/jokinen-pots-one-in-front/t-294808310/c-59451603

on the topic of WTF moments...

I was listening on radio and I think someone mentioned something like "Virtanen with a Gretzky like pass..."

This is still my WTF moment of Jake...

1 hour ago, khay said:

If Jake was thinking like Henrik Sedin, he would have made a drop pass and we would all be like WTF Jake? And one second later, the trailing player scores and we go, "oh, good. sorry." 

8 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Bear Bo Jake

Erikson Guad Goldy

Basically zero chance Pettersson starts out at 1C IMO (heck, slim chance at 2C). Also think Leipsic or potentially Dahlen would be a far better match with Horvat and Virtanen. 

3 hours ago, khay said:

I never noticed there was a Canuck tracing Jake on that play until you pointed out Draisaitl giving up on the play.

Even better if he got the shot off and either scores (obviously) or picks up the rebound to feed the trailer. 

Jake made an emphasis that he'll be working on his hands this offseason. Really interested to see the Jake we'll get in September/October. His speed and size make him dangerous. Add puck handling and it would make him deadly. People look at his point totals and call him disappointing but he had little to no PP time and as a result had 0 PP points, only averaged 12 minutes of ice time and 5 on 5 he only had 45% of his starts in the offensive zone.

It'll be interesting to see if they run him with Sutter again, they were a solid shutdown duo. With our center depth going into next season without Hank I wonder if our number 2 center is Sutter and they run Gaudette and Jake on the 3rd line with Eriksson. I could also see Gagner Eriksson and Jake as a line if they want to be safe and run Gaudette on the 4th line. Lots of options with the Sedins leaving two huge holes in our lineup.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Byrix said:

https://www.nhl.com/video/jokinen-pots-one-in-front/t-294808310/c-59451603

on the topic of WTF moments...

I was listening on radio and I think someone mentioned something like "Virtanen with a Gretzky like pass..."

This is still my WTF moment of Jake...

That was indeed a Virtazky like pass feeding Jussi Jokurri for the goal.

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not yet sure he is an NHL player on a full-time basis.   Agreed with  you.   Baer is a far more complete player.

I like Leipsic.  Top 6?  On a healthy Canucks team.  No.  3rd line sounds about right but he's going to be fighting for that with Goldy

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I like Leipsic.  Top 6?  On a healthy Canucks team.  No.  3rd line sounds about right but he's going to be fighting for that with Goldy

I like him but not sure he is a top 6 on any playoff NHL team either.   I agree that he and Goldy will be fighting as my guess both will be passed by Dahlen and neither will reach as high as Baer.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I like him but not sure he is a top 6 on any playoff NHL team either.   I agree that he and Goldy will be fighting as my guess both will be passed by Dahlen and neither will reach as high as Baer.   

I had to do a double-take there. Someone complimenting Baertschi? A rarity on CDC.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/15/2018 at 10:24 PM, Crabcakes said:

Leipsic is so over rated on these boards

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

38 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I had to do a double-take there. Someone complimenting Baertschi? A rarity on CDC.

Pretty much every prospect for every team get over-rated by the fanbase for a while. For some it lasts a long time, as it has for Virtanen. For others, the honeymoon period is short, as for Baertschi, or even shorter, as for Vey. 

So I just thought I would throw in my two cents on these guys. I also like Leipsic. But what I mean by that is that I expect him to make the team next year, probably as a 4th liner. But, being tough minded, he is probably no better than 50-50 (if that) to be on the team in two years.

Virtanen made a lot of progress this year. But I still see him as a 4th liner. I think a 4th line of Leipsic, Gaudette and Virtanen would be pretty good: lots of energy, some physical play, good speed, decent defence and some secondary scoring.

I don't see any of those guys on the "third line", which will be a traditional shutdown line centered by Sutter (although it will be second line in minutes played). There are quite a few guys competing for spots on the wings, including Granlund, Eriksson, Gaunce, and Archie. Archie was excellent playing shutdown during the Canuck winning streak to end the season and was also very good with Sutter on the PK. And we need his toughness. So I like Archie with Sutter with probably Granlund or Eriksson on the other wing -- which should be an excellent shutdown line.

That leaves a lot of guys competing for the top 6. Obviously Horvat, Boeser and Baertschi will be there. And I think Pettersson makes the team. Gagner will be there. and whichever of Granlund and Eriksson does not play shutdown will probably be there. But other guys will also be competing for spots, including Dahlen and maybe a UFA.  If Virtanen or Leipsic are going to get into the conversation to move up the line-up to the top six they are going to need one heck of a summer.  Neither of them is likely to play shutdown.

And Goldy is going to need a good summer to make the team at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I like Baer - have since he put up insane numbers in CHL.   I think Flames gave up on him waaay early.  He  is fast, tenacious and has relatively low miles on him being a bit of a late bloomer.    I think he could play in any top 6 in the NHL.   I know I get slammed for that but I don't post to be popular - otherwise I would change my name to Guardian or bloodyheads or similar.  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Pretty much every prospect for every team get over-rated by the fanbase for a while. For some it lasts a long time, as it has for Virtanen. For others, the honeymoon period is short, as for Baertschi, or even shorter, as for Vey. 

So I just thought I would throw in my two cents on these guys. I also like Leipsic. But what I mean by that is that I expect him to make the team next year, probably as a 4th liner. But, being tough minded, he is probably no better than 50-50 (if that) to be on the team in two years.

Virtanen made a lot of progress this year. But I still see him as a 4th liner. I think a 4th line of Leipsic, Gaudette and Virtanen would be pretty good: lots of energy, some physical play, good speed, decent defence and some secondary scoring.

I don't see any of those guys on the "third line", which will be a traditional shutdown line centered by Sutter (although it will be second line in minutes played). There are quite a few guys competing for spots on the wings, including Granlund, Eriksson, Gaunce, and Archie. Archie was excellent playing shutdown during the Canuck winning streak to end the season and was also very good with Sutter on the PK. And we need his toughness. So I like Archie with Sutter with probably Granlund or Eriksson on the other wing -- which should be an excellent shutdown line.

That leaves a lot of guys competing for the top 6. Obviously Horvat, Boeser and Baertschi will be there. And I think Pettersson makes the team. Gagner will be there. and whichever of Granlund and Eriksson does not play shutdown will probably be there. But other guys will also be competing for spots, including Dahlen and maybe a UFA.  If Virtanen or Leipsic are going to get into the conversation to move up the line-up to the top six they are going to need one heck of a summer.  Neither of them is likely to play shutdown.

A lot to agree with here except your underappreciation for Virtanen.   He could most certainly play a shutdown role.   Watching these playoffs, he could be a massive difference maker for any team out there either in a top 6 forward role or on a shutdown line.   

Only other thing I quibble with is your assertion that Gagner is a lock for a top 6 role next year.   No chance he is a lock.  He will be in a battle for spot and right now may be an odd man out likely to either see a trade or waivers in his future as can see a lot of youth that will be able to leapfrog him unless he starts next year off strong.     Sutter and Eriksson can be elite shutdown guys (Sutter, unlike some of the prospects, is so brutally underrated on cdc....brutally so).   Archie may be in tough - his skating will limit him as he demonstrated a lack of speed at times down the stretch.   Wish every player had his dedication and drive to play each shift like it might be his last though.   If you could insert Archie's drive into Goldy you likely have a 30 goal all-star.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

As each year passes, the competition for places on the Canucks intensifies.  This is exactly the way Benning wants it and it's good for the team.

As for the 2nd line, as the team is built right now, without a real 2C, I think the shutdown line centred by Sutter will be getting the 2nd most minutes.  It's on this basis that I'm calling Leipsic a 3LW.  I think that Benning will be looking for a 2C but it is not an easy find.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A lot to agree with here except your underappreciation for Virtanen.   He could most certainly play a shutdown role.   Watching these playoffs, he could be a massive difference maker for any team out there either in a top 6 forward role or on a shutdown line.   

Personally, while I think Virtanen could be a shutdown guy, he's not quite there yet. Right now, he's focusing on being an energy player, doing the little things right, and creating offense. I think he'd still have a lot to learn before he could be an effective shutdown guy, but I do think he could get there someday.