The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Anyone suggesting Virtanen will make the team out of camp next year need to temper their expectations a lot, IMO.

He's still another 2-3 years away from getting a sniff.

He should certainly play out his major junior time and develop a more mature game.

agreed. Users claiming benning will trade vets to make room for him. SMH. Have they learned nothing?

The 1st two periods were disappointing due to his lack of playing time. When he was put on the McD line, it took him some time to play at that level, but he ended up looking really good.

When he was drafted, I was concerned that he would be like David Booth with better hands. Now that I've seen him play a bit; I still see some David Booth, but Jake is nowhere near as reckless and seems a lot stronger. I like what Bob Mc had to say about his creativity, which shows that Jake is learning new ways to play his game. I can see so much potential at such a young age. He's going to be a very good NHL player.

I'm pretty sure if Booth didn't have that concussion he would still be producing well. Still, it's good to see Virtanen being more carful.

I don't give a flying **** if they score a hattrick every game, this is a JAKE VIRTANEN thread.

That's nice, then stop bringing up other players. You're the one that said people who "blow Nylander and Ehlers" should shut up because Virtanen had played well, not me.

Careful, Elvis will explain how he once played goalie and score a hat trick in the same game.

If it comes up in relation to the topic at hand, I'll discuss it. I'm not sure why you're bringing it up though. Do you have a point you'd like to say more succinctly?

• Upvote 1

What I really want to see is him get open more. McDavid knows how to set up players even Fabbri can make a beautiful pass so I think Virtanen needs to find ways to get open and then fire a one-timer.

Maybe they go back to the original lines that they had against Slovakia and in the pre-tournament games.

He can be better, I don't think he can be a shooter if he himself makes the play. If he is the playmaker he might not have goals as much but more assists. But the thing is hes more dangerous if he can pass when the other guy has a better chance. I think we need a pure goal scorer with him. Like kesler before 2011

Virtanen can easily make the team next season and if not for the shoulder he likely would have made the team as an 18yr old this season. He already has an NHL body, an NHL shot, NHL physicality, and NHL speed. Only thing for him is to develop a bit more of the mental side of the game, but that can be done ala Bo Horvat as a 19yr old is this season.

Change is coming.

Edited by BanTSN

Virtanen can easily make the team next season and if not for the shoulder he likely would have made the team as an 18yr old this season. He already has an NHL body, an NHL shot, NHL physicality, and NHL speed. Only thing for him is to develop a bit more of the mental side of the game, but that can be done ala Bo Horvat as a 19yr old is this season.

Change is coming.

omg lmao
  • Upvote 2

Change is coming.

The word above, "easily", isn't accurate by any stretch. The NHL is never easy to get into. Virtanen will get a chance to join the team next year. I don't think anyone's doubting that, but "easily"? Far from it. He has other prospects to fight for that spot. He has NHL players to fight for that spot.

Horvat already has the mental side of the game and that's why he made the team. He has a defensive mindset and was helping this team out in the faceoff circle. Therefore, isn't it safe to say that if Virtanen needs to work on the mental side that Horvat already has that Virtanen has a little more work to do?

Who knows, maybe he will make it, but "easily" really isn't the word I'd use. lol

• Upvote 2

Not really.

People were penciling him on the third line and hoping for 30-40 points from him.

Expectations still need to be tempered with Horvat too.

Okay, well I won't apologize for cdc's fast-forwarded thoughts on every prospect we've ever had, but in this case there is reason to be optimistic about Virtanen. Just wait and let it unfold.

If the Canucks are giving a pass on Horvat's lack of skating ability, then certainly they can give a pass on whatever they think Virtanen's weakness would be.

Edited by BanTSN

Okay, well I won't apologize for cdc's fast-forwarded thoughts on every prospect we've ever had, but in this case there is reason to be optimistic about Virtanen. Just wait and let it unfold.

If the Canucks are giving a pass on Horvat's lack of skating ability, then certainly they can give a pass on whatever they think Virtanen's weakness would be.

His skating ability isn't as much of an issue when he has good positioning.

Virtanen still needs a bit of work on his positioning and reads. If he can work on that, then he definitely has a chance.

Lack of skating ability? He's never really had a lack of skating ability. What he was lacking was acceleration and top end speed which he's done a fine job of improving this off season. Canucks management has said that his skating is a non issue this year. He rarely looks slow out there and he even came 3/6 in the fastest skater competition in the Super Skills.